Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

Thanks Spanko....I will do this the next go around. I might grab some Chemi-Pure Elite this afternoon to freshen the tank up a bit. It really does look a lot healthier with some chemical media in the tank. I guess in these small tanks it's really difficult to remove all nutrients and other chemicals from the tank through skimming and water changes alone.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I haven't posted many pictures of the tank lately, here are a couple of our 8 month old mini aussie Aspen. She is definitely the love of our life and an incredibly dog.

CRW_7035.jpg

CRW_7033.jpg

CRW_7025.jpg

CRW_7011.jpg

They came out a little pixelated when I loaded them into Photobucket are fantastic at full res.

airman_verde04

aww.. cute dog! and no worries about the wife asking! Melisa was going to come along anyways! I'm sure she wouldn't mind meeting some new girlfriends! haha

Stop with the cute doggie pics already!!!

I want a dog SO BAD right now it's just KILLING me!!!!

I even have 2 different ones picked out, both of them rescues.

But hubby says no doggie until we get our fence put up, and that's gonna take forever, probably the whole summer.

:tears::( ** SIGH ** :(:tears:

You are not allowed to post any more cute doggie pics til you talk my husband into changing his mind!!!

Haha....I actually thought of you when I posted up these pics and thought that it was going to be torture if you saw them. I read where you were talking with Bill about adopting a dog and how in the end your husband said that it wasn't the right time.

Don't worry, I'm sure that day will come really soon when you can get one. Maybe I can send him some pictures and tell him how amazing having one is and that will help fingerscrossed

New light looks nice. A bit bluer than before. Also, I love your doggie. I too wish to have one, one day..

About the algae. It's ok if some of it creeps in once in a while as long as it's not an invasion or something. I've got these persistent patches of bryopsis that only my urchin seems to get rid off and he's so random that I'm afraid it will take a long time to completely eradicate.

About your film algae; I think that if the other types of algae are not proliferating, there may be some micro nutrient that's contributing as well as the standard fare. Probably something so unique that there isn't a test for it. Just time and water changes.....

New light looks nice. A bit bluer than before. Also, I love your doggie. I too wish to have one, one day..

About the algae. It's ok if some of it creeps in once in a while as long as it's not an invasion or something. I've got these persistent patches of bryopsis that only my urchin seems to get rid off and he's so random that I'm afraid it will take a long time to completely eradicate.

About your film algae; I think that if the other types of algae are not proliferating, there may be some micro nutrient that's contributing as well as the standard fare. Probably something so unique that there isn't a test for it. Just time and water changes.....

Thanks for stopping by and commenting Boris. I completely understand and agree about the algae...I guess I can at least count my blessings that it really isn't an invasive type of algae...been there done got the sticker from another tank :)

I also think it must be some sort of micronutrient that is feeding it. It has gotten less and less since I've been consistently blowing off the rocks. What has me stumped, and like you said, is that NONE of the other algae in the tank is taking off; be it chaeto, some of the pink gracilaria I have, etc.

I am going to start doing 2 gallon changes 2X per week....should be fun :)

I just moved my Nano-Remora skimmer over to my tank with the algae problem to see if it would help with this issue.

It started pulling stuff out right away, we'll see what kind of impact it has.

That's awesome Weetie. Keep me posted on the progress and I will make sure to post how things are going here as well.

I already run a Tunze 9002 skimmer so I am going to focus on the following to see if it makes the algae reside:

-2g water changes 2X a week

-Change filter floss and rinse sponges every 2 days

-Order part needed for my Phosban reactor and start running Phosban and Carbon to change out monthly

-Place Purigen and Chemi-Pure in Chamber 2 and change every 3 months.

I am going to be placing an order with Drs. F&S so I will add the last two items then. With all of the water changes, chemical filtration, and change in mechanical filtration, if the tank doesn't sparkle and shine shortly I am throwing in the towel :) Just kidding...should help tremendously and I expect some nice results.

It is kind of interesting that it took me a while to figure out my Ca and Alk balance and now it's micronutrients or something else. I might actually switch back to Two Little Fishies Two-Part since this has only really started cropping up and become an issue after I switched to using Seachem AquaVitro line. I don't think this is the cause but TLF Two-Part is cheaper anyways :)

It will definitely be more maintenance but the health of the tank should hopefully increase.

Carolinapico

Love your dog.

I've run into some algae recently as well, but the explanation for mine is using horrible Columbia tap water for top off because i ran out of RO for a while hehe. I need to test my well water and see whats in it, maybe its better then city water.

woohoo one year..congrats. Your tank sure has gone thru alot of changes since the beginning. I think we need a photo recap to see how far you have come.

You have been a real asset for me and my reef, and i can assume many other reefers here on NR. Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into it!

keep up the great work!

Thanks for the congratulations and the compliments. It is always a joy to hear that others are benefiting from my thread. I just know how much I've learned from some thread, including yours Tudizzle, so I just like to pay it back somehow.

I will have to recap with pics when I get back to my computer with the pictures on them.

Hey...another South Carolina Reefer here.

My tank:

http://www.charlestonreefers.org/forum/ind...hp?topic=2122.0

Great to meet another South Carolinian on here and someone from the Lowcountry. I have been following your thread for a while but didn't realize you were on the Charleston Reefers site as well. I go on there occasionally but haven't started a thread of my tank.

You have an AMAZING tank.

Have any Zoas in that tank by chance? :lol:

Haha....I think he may have one or two :)

airman_verde04

Hey Adam, good morning! anyhoo, I left a message on Karen's page, but wanted to see if you both may be free this Saturday or Sunday? I have off this weekend for a change so thought it might be a good time to see if we all can get together.

Carolinapico
Great to meet another South Carolinian on here and someone from the Lowcountry.

Seems no one further north keeps nano tanks except for me and Mr. Fosi. :mellow: They are all down on the coast!

Yeah man....they are pretty few and far between down here as well. I think that BlueBastion may be another Columbia reefer but I may be wrong.

We need to all get a frag swap going sometime. Shipping would only be about $7. Either that or the next time you're in town maybe we can trade or something.

Yeah man....they are pretty few and far between down here as well. I think that BlueBastion may be another Columbia reefer but I may be wrong.

We need to all get a frag swap going sometime. Shipping would only be about $7. Either that or the next time you're in town maybe we can trade or something.

Hey, it's just 1 1/2 hours from my place and I'm through there at least once a month. Let the swaps begin!

**small frag transportation fee may apply**** :lol:

Sounds good to me Karen. We will have to get something together.

On another note, I have some PhosPure, the part I needed for my Phosban reactor, carbon, and Two part heading my way. Should have my Phosban reactor up and rocking and rolling with media soon. Goodbye algae and any other crap that has been enjoying itself in my tank :rant:

You are correct dive, bluebastion is a Columbia reefer and he has a KILLER sps tank, you should check out his tank thread. I drool every time I see it.

I told PodRod this, but I actually went to college in Columbia as well.

I've seen his thread and it is stunning to see the least....something to aspire to for sure.

Where did you go to school in Columbia?

My dry goods should be here on Friday....too bad they didn't come today for my birthday. Big 25 today. Maybe the fish and corals will give me a present instead of the other way around :)

Archived