SaltCritters.com

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

Whew, I've missed so much! You've been busy! Love the vid!

Rocking her British bandana....

CRW_6819.jpg

That is such a riveting face! What a spectacular looking pup!

Ric field:

CRW_6866.jpg

Those look so plump and healthy.

Purple Firefish

CRW_6870.jpg

Wonderful shot!

Even so, I could look at pictures of tanks I like regardless......... Just vary the shooting angle slightly and we'll be ok ;)

That doesn't apply to you anymore, Adam, but that's how I always feel too. You'll notice all I can do is post more pics of the same old, same old...

Well, I ended up having to take out the Emerald Crab (Frank the Tank). I have been trying to keep my eye on it since I've read of people having great success with them and others that have them get hungry and start munching on some corals.

Don't know if you remember, but I've returned an emerald too. Have also replaced them from time to time. Have come to regard them as somewhat "temporary," which is not so bad after all. There have been times I've really needed them for algae control, and I just plain enjoy watching them.

I finally got around to the pregnant shrimp pictures below. It is a little hard to see in these but you can see the green mass that is around it's appendages and how fat it is. I have to do some closer inspection but I believe they are on the outside and not contained within. Pretty cool and will make a nice snack for the fish when they hatch :)

CRW_6885.jpg

CRW_6883.jpg

Very cool!! So, who got pregnant...Jacques or Pierre? :lol:

I like the new scape! How thrilling to get so many wonderful new specimens! Congrats. Everything looks wonderful.

--Diane

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for catching up on the thread Diane...glad to see you back in action here on the forum. You were definitely missed :)

Yeah, the pup surely keeps my wife and I busy. She is a handful to say the least but we couldn't ask for a better dog. She is getting ready to start her second obedience class a week from Monday so that is always exciting. She picks things up incredibly fast and is a joy to work with...well usually :) I guess it helps that they are the second smartest breed behind border collies. That is good and bad. Good in that she is easy to teach but bad in that other breeds just sleep when they get bored...instead she just sits by the door and looks at us with those eyes like "you want to go outside and play, right?" She is a trip.

I do remember you saying that you took back one of your emeralds as well. I think that it has a lot to do with their overall size and age. Seems like the smaller you get them the more likely there are to leave corals along. All of my zoas have been looking really great in its absence. I'm just reluctant to get another now.

Yeah, I guess I will have to rename one of my cleaner shrimp Chloe now since obviously one is female :D.

So far I haven't heard otherwise so I expect to get my other corals in the mail tomorrow. Always exciting getting a corals package in the mail :)

Just found this new free online software from Adobe: http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/03/...-photoshop.html

Basically a free watered down version of photoshop that can be used online and then loads directly into Photobucket, Picasa, etc. Sounds like it might be really nice for those looking for something for some easy photo editing. I will be sticking with the full on CS2 version but may be worth a try.

Well USPS finally got it right this time and I actually got my package on time. I didn't think it was going to come at first when the guy at the office said that it was an hour or two away in the state capital and wouldn't be delivered til tomorrow. Needless to say I pretty much told him that if the package showed up today, I would be sitting there waiting to get it at the post office :) It came in and everything looks great.

I ended up getting the frags from Yoitsarson and he was great to work with. He wasn't able to get the frags out last week do to a conflict with work and he was honest about it and just told me what happened. I completely understand that works come first so I didn't have a problem waiting. He wasn't able to get the frags in the mail Monday either since the post office he went to said that from that location they couldn't guarantee overnight shipping. They came in today and the frags are really really nice. He gave me easily a 1 inch or so frag of the Superman Montipora and it already has a nice blue color to it. He also threw in a free Orange Digitata frag to help cover some of the shipping costs since I only wanted one frag. Since he wasn't able to ship out last week or Monday, he included a really nice SPS frag as well that I'm not sure what it is at this point. Looks like another kind of Monti so I'll have to see what it is once I hear back from him.

I am going to take some pictures tomorrow or Sunday and will get them up first thing Monday. Sorry to keep everyone waiting but my card reader is at work....where I'm not :)

The orange monti is already all polyped out and looks great as it is easily over a couple inches in size with about 3-4 branches.

10 Months Today!!!

Besides the anniversary of the tank, looks like I have some issues with my Rio 6HF....

I have been running the Rio 6HF as a replacement to the stock pump that comes with the BC29. I have been running it for about 8 months with no problems. Recently it has started acting up and I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this:

It will run for about two to three days with no issue. It will then start turning on and off. It will run for about 5 seconds and then turn off and then turn back on after another 2 seconds. It just continues to do this. I have done the following to try and fix it: vinegar bath disassembled parts, try on another outlet/power strip and it still does the same. What is really weird is that if I unplug it and let it sit for about 30 minutes, it will start working again.

Could it possibly be overheating and turning on and off. Is something just off with the propeller maybe?

I contacted TAAM and Nano Tuners (where I bought it) since it should be still under the one year warranty. Just wanted to see what others thought I could try. I luckily have the original pump as a backup but I see it puts out some nice microbubbles when I tried it mad.gif

I've never used that pump or experienced that issue but it sure sounds like overheating to me. Have you noticed an increase in your water temps since it started? I have a Rio 1400 that I've never used and still in the box. You can have it if you want. Just swing by and pick it up if you need it.

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks PodRod for the offer of the pump. I am just running the stock pump for right now until I see if TAAM or Nano Tuners offer to replace the 6HF. I really don't want to pop for about $30 pump right now so hopefully they will offer to replace it. We'll see though.

Alright, time for a HUGE picture update. I had my freaking hands in the tank what seemed like 3 hours total yesterday jacking around with getting the pump to work, putting the stock one in, doing a water change, and then I figured I might as well grab a bunch of pictures and make it worthwhile :)

Here are my new corals from Yoitsarson

Superman Montipora - has a really nice blue base color and the polyps have already started to turn from more of brownish red to a more pronounced red. Hopefully it will continue to color up under my lighting.

CRW_6922.jpg

Orange Montipora

CRW_6926.jpg

Freebie from Yoitsarson. He told me that it is a Pink Poccilipora that will develop purple polyps. He said that it was under a rock before so may take a bit to color up.

CRW_6929.jpg

Monti Row!!!

CRW_6941.jpg

CRW_6937.jpg

Some Top Down Shots

CRW_6943.jpg

CRW_6944.jpg

CRW_6945.jpg

CRW_6946.jpg

CRW_6947.jpg

CRW_6948.jpg

CRW_6949.jpg

CRW_6950.jpg

Acan from PodRod. Some parts are getting a green color to them.

CRW_6920.jpg

I also feed some Cyclop-Eeze mixed with PhytoPlan and Seachem Fuel since the pumps were off already :)

Here are some feeding shots....

CRW_6955.jpg

CRW_6951.jpg

CRW_6952.jpg

CRW_6954.jpg

Hope that satisfies the pic fix. For some reason the Acro I got from PodRod was pissed off yesterday afternoon so it's polyps weren't out for pictures. It was all nice and fuzzy yesterday morning so I will have to keep an eye on it.

For some reason the Acro I got from PodRod was pissed off yesterday afternoon so it's polyps weren't out for pictures. It was all nice and fuzzy yesterday morning so I will have to keep an eye on it.

Ha - I told you that Acan was temperamental! I thought it was just me ;) Nice pics - I love the new frags!!!!

Wonderful pix fix, Adam!

I'd just seen some of those montis of yours earlier on the "full monti" thread--I can't get over the top-down shot of your big orange one! Looks like a rose...great job growing it and the others!

I esp. liked all the top-down shots and the eating shots. The latter are some of my own favorites to shoot.

The top-down of the gsp mound is lovely--what a nice colony. Super zoa views as well. And I get a kick out of the shrimp & fish cameos. :D

Thanks for the pics!

--Diane

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at the pics Diane and thank you for the compliments.

Overall I have really taken a liking to all varieties of Montipora lately...I'm not really sure what it is about them since they are pretty much slow growers and don't have a whole lot of movement :) I guess it's one fact that they have just done great in my tank so I can't complain about them.

I really enjoyed taking the top-down shots....I think it really gives another perspective of the tank and the colors really look different from above than from the side. I can really see what the appeal of the Zero Edge systems would be since you have 5 different viewing angles.

I love feeding the corals in my tank. That has been one of my favorite things to do ever since I started in the this hobby. It all started when I had a nice colony of candy cane coral and I feed them mysis about 2 times a week. I was/am still amazed how those types of coral feed. I just really like the reaction you see and the how nice and puffy and expanded everything looks afterwards.

For me, it seems like a mix of Cyclop-eeze and PhytoPlan really causes a stir in the tank. Not only for the corals, but for all of the pods that come out in droves...it's quite the field day :)

Just caught up on all the action in your tank. So many thoughts, don't even know where to start. First off, congratulations on your new additions! I just hope you'll remain the one Dive we all know and respect and don't switch over to the camp of "I've got SPS and mine are bigger then yours!"

They are lovely corals and your pictures only do them justice. Now all you need is a Yellow Clown Goby to roost on them ;) .

I absolutely loved the picture of the cleaner shrimp with eggs. That's one of the best pics I've seen on these forums, period.

And thanks for the plug of RodPod's tank. It's a very pretty one.

Looking forward to more...

B

Thanks for catching up and taking a look at the thread. Glad you got some enjoyment out of the pictures. I really like looking back on the pictures of my tank to see where it has come from and what it is now. Pretty amazing sometimes looking back.

I will never slip into the "my SPS is bigger and brighter than yours" way of thinking. That is basically the reason why I left another forum because it got to the point where people throw down tons of money just to impress one another. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it :)

I just like to get corals that add to my tank and that I enjoy. I'm just glad that others get to get some enjoyment out of them as well.

Does anyone know if Red Sea brand makes a decent and reliable Mg test kit? I have been to all of the LFS and pet stores in my area and the only one that had a test kit carries this brand.

Just didn't want to waste the $20 if it was a bad kit. The LFS usually carries Salifert as well but have been on back order for 3 months.

Another thing, the stores around here should feel lucky that I don't have some seed money and time to start up a saltwater store....they would be out of business in no time. Pretty ridiculous how lame they are around me. I want to support local businesses but it gets pretty hard when they don't ever carry something, never get any decent corals, and charge $300 for a $100 skimmer.

Sorry for the rant....just got peeved driving around yesterday to find something with little luck or a blank stare like "what the heck is a Mg test kit." :)

Hey bud, on a visit to North Charleston on business once I went to a store in north Charleston on Rivers avenue I think between Remount and Aviation in a small strip mall. Small place but seemed to have a decent amount of things including hard goods. Can't remember the name of it right now but maybe you could check that one out if you have not yet. Might have been something like Super Pets.

Hey Spanko....that is Tideline Aquatics and is pretty much the only one that is worth anything. I pretty much only buy snails and dry goods when they are on sale there. They are the one that carries the Mg kit. I just wish they would get some nicer corals in. Well I guess they occasionally do like the Duncan that they want $300 for :slap:

I figured you might already know about it, just had to make sure. I really miss going to Charleston. We shut our office down there. The wife and I spent a week at the hotel at Folley Beach, what a great time.

If you're ever back down in the area let me know. We love Charleston. I am always amazed that people that live here complain about it when there are people that die to come here and visit.

Does anyone know if Red Sea brand makes a decent and reliable Mg test kit? I have been to all of the LFS and pet stores in my area and the only one that had a test kit carries this brand.

Just didn't want to waste the $20 if it was a bad kit. The LFS usually carries Salifert as well but have been on back order for 3 months.

Another thing, the stores around here should feel lucky that I don't have some seed money and time to start up a saltwater store....they would be out of business in no time. Pretty ridiculous how lame they are around me. I want to support local businesses but it gets pretty hard when they don't ever carry something, never get any decent corals, and charge $300 for a $100 skimmer.

Sorry for the rant....just got peeved driving around yesterday to find something with little luck or a blank stare like "what the heck is a Mg test kit." :)

I feel your pain. And, I made a decision that I wouldn't buy anymore hardware from LFS. I did finally find a decent one that has an excellent selection of fish and corals and is accesible , but their prices are also "incredible". When I buy corals from them, I look for the most hitch-hikers possible.

Hey Adam,

I've only used Salifert for Mg so I don't know if Red Sea is good or not. If you need it checked quickly, just bring a sample by my house and I'll check it for you...

Thanks for the offer PodRod. I ended up getting the Red Sea test kit and just figured it can't be off by that much. I may just check it over the next week and then maybe when we meet up next I can bring some water to check and see how accurate it is. I intend to stock up on test kits when I put in my next online order. Just too expensive to buy locally.

Since I've added a couple of calcium thirsty corals over the last week, I decided that it is due time to start tracking my Ca, Alk, and Mg consumption so that I can figure out how much I need to dose. Here is what I've found over the last two days. I know this is kinda boring stuff but dosing is definitely an integral part of this hobby when it comes to SPS and other tank calcification:

Tuesday

Alk: 10.5 dKH

Ca 340 ppm

+Dosed 6 mL C-Balance (Part A and B )

Wednesday

Alk: 10 dKH

Ca:380 ppm

Mg: 1200 ppm

+Dosed 5g of Seachem Mg

These are the parameters that I am shooting for. Let me know if anything is out of whack with my thinking:

Alk: 9 dKH (not too high and closer to NSW)

Ca: 400 ppm

Mg: 1260 ppm

Everything except for the green Acro has been doing great over the past couple of days. The Superman Monti continues to color up with the brownish polyps starting to get a nice red color developing :) Can't wait for it to start encrusting.

My geeky marine science side enjoys reading all sorts of reef chemistry articles. Here is a good one that describes (in simple terms) the relationship between Ca, Alk, pH, and Mg:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

Thanks for the offer PodRod. I ended up getting the Red Sea test kit and just figured it can't be off by that much. I may just check it over the next week and then maybe when we meet up next I can bring some water to check and see how accurate it is. I intend to stock up on test kits when I put in my next online order. Just too expensive to buy locally.

Since I've added a couple of calcium thirsty corals over the last week, I decided that it is due time to start tracking my Ca, Alk, and Mg consumption so that I can figure out how much I need to dose. Here is what I've found over the last two days. I know this is kinda boring stuff but dosing is definitely an integral part of this hobby when it comes to SPS and other tank calcification:

Tuesday

Alk: 10.5 dKH

Ca 340 ppm

+Dosed 6 mL C-Balance (Part A and B )

Wednesday

Alk: 10 dKH

Ca:380 ppm

Mg: 1200 ppm

+Dosed 5g of Seachem Mg

These are the parameters that I am shooting for. Let me know if anything is out of whack with my thinking:

Alk: 9 dKH (not too high and closer to NSW)

Ca: 400 ppm

Mg: 1260 ppm

Everything except for the green Acro has been doing great over the past couple of days. The Superman Monti continues to color up with the brownish polyps starting to get a nice red color developing :) Can't wait for it to start encrusting.

My geeky marine science side enjoys reading all sorts of reef chemistry articles. Here is a good one that describes (in simple terms) the relationship between Ca, Alk, pH, and Mg:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

Man, I'm geeky that way too. My girlfriend jsut smiles with that cirtain "inflection" when I start going about what happened on Nano-reef.com, kind of Like: "dude, I'm dating a geek but I still like you." Anyhoo, sorry I got off the subject.

Nice article,

Thanks.

I hear ya....my wife says the same thing. That and she asks me how long I'm going to "mess" with the tank sometimes. :)

Archived