Coral Vue Hydros

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's some really cool looking growth. ;)

I've got some new reds on the way. Still don't know what they are, but I'm stoked.

Awesome....I will have to post a picture of the "field" of Neomeris that I had before it dwindled down. Your tank looks great with the addition of macro algae and I feel the same way with all tanks. Although I like tanks that have very little algae, I think a splash of green and red neutral or beneficial algae really make tanks look more natural.

Photo Chronical

Evolution over the past 10 months

July 2007

CRW_6187.jpg

CRW_6191.jpg

August 2007

CRW_6212.jpg

Addition of Sunpod in August 2007

CRW_6228.jpg

CRW_6232.jpg

First SPS (End of August)

Purple Polyp Monti

CRW_6245.jpg

Green Birdsnest

CRW_6244.jpg

September 2007

CRW_6271.jpg

October 2007

CRW_6322.jpg

A little growth

CRW_6327.jpg

January 2008

CRW_6724.jpg

CRW_6738.jpg

CRW_6787.jpg

March 2008

CRW_6873.jpg

End of March

CRW_6906.jpg

Two weeks ago...

CRW_6969.jpg

Need to grab a full tank tonight....pretty cool to see where it came from last July.

It's a nice idea to do a recap like that. Really shows progress over time. I'll maybe try something like that too later on in time.

Wonderful recap! Great fun to look back over it all. The amazing thing is that your tank looked great at every step along the way!

I miss Mr. Moai, tho.....:(:D

I agree that the plating montis add a wonderful new geometry to a tank! And also that macros add an awful lot to a tank's look.

How'd you get so many pics in one post?

--Diane

It's a nice idea to do a recap like that. Really shows progress over time. I'll maybe try something like that too later on in time.

I still can't believe that the tank has been up over 10 months now.

Wonderful recap! Great fun to look back over it all. The amazing thing is that your tank looked great at every step along the way!

I miss Mr. Moai, tho.....:(:D

I agree that the plating montis add a wonderful new geometry to a tank! And also that macros add an awful lot to a tank's look.

How'd you get so many pics in one post?

--Diane

Thanks Diane. I figured it was due time to do a recap of where the tank started and where it is now. I still didn't grab a FTS last night so that will have to wait til Monday. I wouldn't say that it has looked great every step along the way but it has come along nicely :D Once good and bad thing about this hobby is that every time that we, well at least I, look at the tank I am thinking of something that I could move here or something that could change. I am still trying to get myself to a point where I don't want to tinker.

I ended up taking the Moai statue out :( I tried moving it around several places and it finally just ended up getting tucked in the back and not out in full view like it should. I still have it and plan on using it somehow in the future.

I'm not sure how I got so many pictures in the thread. I just used photobucket and kept putting them in there. Guess I just snuck by the filter B)

On another note, I am getting a Tunze 6025 powerhead in the mail today so I'm really excited about that. I am planning on either cutting the locline "snake" that I have down and just having one outlet point to the surface or just take it off in general. I am thinking about trying to find another 6025 to replace the Koralia 1 that I have since the Koralia is just a beast size-wise in the tank. I ended up getting it from Aquarium Specialty which I found out is in Columbia, SC and it takes only a day to get something in. The next time I am up in that area I told the owner I was going to stop in and see their warehouse. Nice to know someone with great products, reasonable prices, and 1 day shipping for $6 is so close.

Just got the Tunze 6025 in the mail (thank you mister UPS guy) and all I can say is WOW....the corals love it and all of the detritus that had been partying on the sand bed hate it :)

Removed the locline "snake" that I had going and the tank looks about 10% more open. I will have to post some pics this weekend.

Glad to hear you got the new pump. I really like that model and it seems to work great. It's amazing how your tank has progressed - it looks great! I've got Aquarium Speciality saved in my "favorites" and I'll stop in the next time I'm in Columbus. I may try to stop in next Friday on my way back home. Thanks for letting me know about them!

Figured it was time for a new full reef shot. Like I said on Friday, I ditched the locline that I had coming out of the return pump. I just kept the splitter on there so that some flow gets diverted up to the surface both left and right. You can see the new Tunze 6025 on the left hand side. I think it makes the tank feel a little more open to me.

Full On

CRW_6993.jpg

Right Side

CRW_7000.jpg

Left Side (with Green Monti mounted)

CRW_6995.jpg

Left Side looking from the left

CRW_7002.jpg

Green Pocillipora

CRW_6998.jpg

Superman Monti

CRW_6997.jpg

Green Monti Cap with Blue Polyps

CRW_7007.jpg

I had gotten a green acro frag from PodRod a while back and it quickly diminished on me and lost a majority of it's tissue after about a week of having it. I thought that it was due to an Alk/Ca imbalance. After installing the nanostream pump, I looked at it the other day and it has some polyp extension again and it is starting to get some green color back (starting to flouresce at night). Maybe it is not lost yet. I am starting to think that it wasn't getting enough random flow and too much head on movement where it was. We'll see what I can make or it.

CRW_7003.jpg

Glad to see the acro frag is making a come back. I agree with your assessment regarding the random flow and I had wondered if that might be the problem. That poor acro has been abused due to several mishaps in my tank and still thrives so it's pretty hardy. At the rate it's growing, we'll be able to frag it again soon.

By the way, I'm one of the lucky 12 that got the Bag O Crap from Zoanuts! It's 10 acros and Dusty says the sizes are very generous! I'm sooo excited, but you know my tank is getting full quickly. I'll have to clear out a few misc frags to make room for them so I'll be calling you soon :) .

+ 1 :)

I can spend a lot of time looking at each of your nice clear pics! Get my sps fix from your specimens.

--Diane

Glad to see the acro frag is making a come back. I agree with your assessment regarding the random flow and I had wondered if that might be the problem. That poor acro has been abused due to several mishaps in my tank and still thrives so it's pretty hardy. At the rate it's growing, we'll be able to frag it again soon.

By the way, I'm one of the lucky 12 that got the Bag O Crap from Zoanuts! It's 10 acros and Dusty says the sizes are very generous! I'm sooo excited, but you know my tank is getting full quickly. I'll have to clear out a few misc frags to make room for them so I'll be calling you soon :) .

I really do think that was the issue with the Acro frag. Although it was a little weird that it was happy and then all of a sudden it closed up and lost about 75% of it's tissue. It is showing more polyp extension daily so I think it is coming back nicely.

That is awesome about the Zoanuts Bag O Crap. I was going to jump on that as well but just low on cash and didn't know if I wanted to put another 10 SPS in my tank :) I still have some frags waiting in my tank so we'll get up when you get back in town.

the green pocillopora is going to be a beautiful coral once it grows out. Tank is looking good Dive. Well done my friend.....

Thanks for following along Spanko...sometimes I feel like the thread gets a little on the dull side since there isn't really a whole lot to report at times. The Green Pocillopora has really been growing up now. For a while all it would do was lay a base down and never really sprout any more branches.

+ 1 :)

I can spend a lot of time looking at each of your nice clear pics! Get my sps fix from your specimens.

--Diane

Thanks Diane. You have no idea how much I enjoy your pictures as well so I'm glad I can contribute and also help get your SPS fix :)

Are you still using the stock bulb in your sunpod?

I actually am not currently running the stock bulb. I actually really really liked the color of the stock bulb but it got to be about 8-9 months old so it was time to replace. I am currently running an XM 15k bulb and I have noticed a good bit more coloration and growth of my corals with this bulb. The next bulb that I am going to try is the Phoenix 14k since this sounds like a really really good bulb with a nice mix of blue and crisp white coloration.

I tend to like a little more blue in my tank. Are you looking for a recommendation on a bulb or just curious? The stock bulb is really great and doesn't really need to be replaced right away if you are getting the fixture new. I just wanted to try something different since I had to replace it anyways.

Aliasnumber1

Yeah, I'm looking for a replacement bulb, my stock bulb has been running since november. I bought a really nice deep blue acro w/ green tip colony brought it home and it turned purple with green tips, so i was thinking of going up the K scale toward more blue but wasn't sure which bulb to goto when it becomes more crucial that i replace it. The blue acro looks good, but i have a millie that is struggling i'm not sure if i'm gonna have to frag it or not. I had a couple weeks where I didn't have control of the water parameters, say costly if they wither.

Of my experiences with SPS so far, one of the most challenging parts is trying to keep the color of the coral as it is supposed to be or trying to keep the color in general. I'm not sure about you, but I usually start all of my SPS at the bottom of the tank for about a week. Gaging on whether they are losing color or not, I will move them up higher a little bit at a time.

I have had really good experiences using this way of acclimating and sometimes the colors have gotten three times better than when I got the coral.

As far as the coloring of your corals, it has been said that higher K rated bulbs may bring out more of the flourescent colors in corals but they will not grow quite as well since the PAR is usually lower the higher Kelvin you go. That is why you see a lot of people running 14 or 15k bulbs until they get a colony to a certain size and then they will switch to a 20K to really make the color glow and stand out while still getting a little slower growth.

Aliasnumber1

Yeah that's basically how I acclimate the corals too. The purple/green acro was bluein the store probably cause they were under 20ks to make it so blue. The millie has gone from the bottom all the way to the top and it's lost color on the lower portions and the polyp extension has been less pronounced all over, I didn't get my chiller in time for the first heat wave where the tank was getting to 80-81 while my water parameters were running amuck cause i couldn't lift buckets. Who sells the phoenix bulbs?

11 Months!!!!

How the time flies. Things having been doing great in the tank and all of the corals have been loving the addition of the other Tunze 6025 powerhead.

Here is a quick video of the tank. It looks a little out of whack because I took it vertical and then rotated it which squashed it down. I will have to get a better one tonight.

th_BC29-April-1.jpg

Archived