Coral Vue Hydros

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A HUGE difference. The SPS extends it's polyps farther, the colors are much richer and they seem to grow faster. MH lighting is the way to go with any corals, but especially SPS.

A HUGE difference. The SPS extends it's polyps farther, the colors are much richer and they seem to grow faster. MH lighting is the way to go with any corals, but especially SPS.

Did you have to acclimate your tank to the new lights? How did your zoas and mushrooms react?

yes I did. I started with the T5s on for the full photoperiod but started the MH on at 2 hours. Then increased that by an hour every three days. I didn't use any screens or eggcrate. All corals were fine, they barely even noticed or reacted much actually they enjoyed the new light and opened up even more. The top frogspawn was looking a little 'burnt or shriveled' at the end of the day when it was finally a full photoperiod but it recovered just fine.

I have to drive past a construction site twice a day with these big drilling machines everyday and I think of Stevie T when I pass them. Thats all, your almost at 100 pages of replies, just trying to get you there. Tank looks great. I'll be there tomorrow to take it off your hands if you want to get rid of it.

haha thanks for the help, I hadn't noticed I was to that point yet, I do keep any eye on the views.

There is a lot of drilling out by you, basically everything has to be since you live on a huge rock. Foundation drilling is huge out there too since you like your buildings nice and tall. Wonder whos drills they are.

Hoffers but sometimes the saltwater selection sucks

Aquatics Unlimited is my choice, but I don't go to a LFS very much

StevieT,

I have a few questions for you. I was thinking about taking down our 29 Mantis tank and starting a Red Sea built around him. The reason behind this is after seeing how well your tank did with the stock lighting. I know you changed your light because you were a little unhappy with the coral growth. Do you feel that your corals were a little unhealthy with that light or was it just the you wanted a little more? I was thinking about doing a high rock wall with the Mantis cave in the middle of the tank as the focal point. I would want LPS and some SPS (monti cap mostly but maybe a nest or something). I have noticed on my kids 40 breeder that her green Monti took off under her 20k 150w. I guess I want your thoughts on do you think your corals would have made it for the long haul or do you think they would have died a slow death under the stock lighting? It has been a joy to follow your tank. Our daughter really likes to check and see all the cool pics you post. You are the main reason why I am thinking about this build for the Mantis.

Manty_the_Manits_1_.JPG

StevieT,

I have a few questions for you. I was thinking about taking down our 29 Mantis tank and starting a Red Sea built around him. The reason behind this is after seeing how well your tank did with the stock lighting. I know you changed your light because you were a little unhappy with the coral growth. Do you feel that your corals were a little unhealthy with that light or was it just the you wanted a little more? I was thinking about doing a high rock wall with the Mantis cave in the middle of the tank as the focal point. I would want LPS and some SPS (monti cap mostly but maybe a nest or something). I have noticed on my kids 40 breeder that her green Monti took off under her 20k 150w. I guess I want your thoughts on do you think your corals would have made it for the long haul or do you think they would have died a slow death under the stock lighting? It has been a joy to follow your tank. Our daughter really likes to check and see all the cool pics you post. You are the main reason why I am thinking about this build for the Mantis.

Manty_the_Manits_1_.JPG

id go for it. but keep all sps up top. i got 3 monti caps in my tank now. sorry to awncer for you stevie you may have your own opinion.

I wasn't unhappy with the stock lighting or the growth I was just bored and wanted to further my experinece in the hobby.

Yes the corals are doing better under the MH, they seem to like it more, open farter and grow faster. But that is all expected. All of my SPS grew under the stock lighting but was up high. So if you have a mantis tank with lower rock work, you may want to consider just LPS and softies. Monti cap may do OK, hard to say for sure since it is all going to be height dependent.

Needreefunds
IMG_9614.jpg

Do your clowns have something wrong with them? Like Michael Jackson disease? They are losing color on their faces

Archived