Innovative Marine Aquariums

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wowww...I am getting a RSM here in the next month (to be shipped!)

I'll definitely be browsing through this thread...thanks so much for sharing. Beauty! :bowdown:

Hey StevieT,

I set up the tank and have it running. I've been really busy with work so have been slacking a bit on the water changes but plan on getting on it. I am having problems with the tunze skimmer though and one of the return pumps(stock ones). The skimmer has been set up for 1 1/2 months and basically has not collected anything. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Also, if I have both return pumps on they begin to spit out airbubble everywhere and I think it's b/c the media rack is somehow stopping that chamber from getting water, have you seen this before. Also, my water temp fluctates between 80 and 85 on the hottest day, do you think I should invest in a chiller or can I get by with those temperature reading? Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Raj

Hey StevieT,

I set up the tank and have it running. I've been really busy with work so have been slacking a bit on the water changes but plan on getting on it. I am having problems with the tunze skimmer though and one of the return pumps(stock ones). The skimmer has been set up for 1 1/2 months and basically has not collected anything. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Also, if I have both return pumps on they begin to spit out airbubble everywhere and I think it's b/c the media rack is somehow stopping that chamber from getting water, have you seen this before. Also, my water temp fluctates between 80 and 85 on the hottest day, do you think I should invest in a chiller or can I get by with those temperature reading? Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Raj

well, what is in your tank? If you have fish and corals you should be collecting skimmate. Have you adjusted the blue knob so that bubbles are coming up halfway into the tube in the cup? Are you having a problem getting bubbles even with it full open? If so you may have a bad ventrui (sp) and need to contact Tunze about that, they have a forum on Reefcentral. About a two months ago they had a bad production run where they put the wrong one in the 9002, you may have one that is bad.

On the pumps, if it is a water level issue from the media rack, per the directions included, try tying the lower media bag to the middle shelf. Use filter floss, but only a small bit, chanage every 3-4 days when clogged up. Try not to run very large media bags and make sure you are keeping up and changing your sponge or floss. SOme of my customers do have issues, but after tying the chemi pure to the middle shelf the problem is solved. Also some run A LOT of fitler floss, you can't do this with a media basket and this tank, the flow is so touchy.

If it is not a water level issue, just reset the impeller by taking the pump apart.

Well 85 is high, so that will be a problem. Fans may help and since the summer is coming to a end a chiller may not be needed this year. The fluctuation is what hurts a reef more, so if you can not control the temps, at least set the heater higher so that you only have a few degrees change every day. Try fans in the filtration area, if you don't like that then yes, a chiller will be needed.

well, what is in your tank? If you have fish and corals you should be collecting skimmate. Have you adjusted the blue knob so that bubbles are coming up halfway into the tube in the cup? Are you having a problem getting bubbles even with it full open? If so you may have a bad ventrui (sp) and need to contact Tunze about that, they have a forum on Reefcentral. About a two months ago they had a bad production run where they put the wrong one in the 9002, you may have one that is bad.

On the pumps, if it is a water level issue from the media rack, per the directions included, try tying the lower media bag to the middle shelf. Use filter floss, but only a small bit, chanage every 3-4 days when clogged up. Try not to run very large media bags and make sure you are keeping up and changing your sponge or floss. SOme of my customers do have issues, but after tying the chemi pure to the middle shelf the problem is solved. Also some run A LOT of fitler floss, you can't do this with a media basket and this tank, the flow is so touchy.

If it is not a water level issue, just reset the impeller by taking the pump apart.

Well 85 is high, so that will be a problem. Fans may help and since the summer is coming to a end a chiller may not be needed this year. The fluctuation is what hurts a reef more, so if you can not control the temps, at least set the heater higher so that you only have a few degrees change every day. Try fans in the filtration area, if you don't like that then yes, a chiller will be needed.

Thanks Stevie I gave up yesterday and had the guy from the LFS come out and do the water change. For 50 bucks it was quite worth it. He cleaned out all the sponges did a 30 % water change, and we did adjust the blue nob so it actually collects something. He also recommended the same about turning the heater up to about 81 to 82 degrees. Also, the return pump is having problems getting water flow but moving the media rack around and cleaning out all the sponges definitely help. So far in the tank all I have is about 30 to 35 lbs of live rock and two damsels but that is about to change in the weeks to come. I will post some pictures once things are going. Thanks again.

great. Just keep the sponges clean or run filter floss. Sponges can become a nitrate trap. The RSM is really touchy on flow so if you are not about maintenance and upkeep on the tank, it may be best to run without them

• 2 weeks later...

StevieT,

Wanted to add my thanks for maintaining such a useful thread. I have a RSM on order, and am doing my research to figure out the best way to do it right from the start. This will be my first marine tank.

With a 3 week delay in shipping, I'm guessing the version I will be getting will be the new one (130D?), wasn't sure if there had been confirmation yet that the Tunze 9002 / Media Rack / Custom Cup combo will work in the new setup - didn't see anyone who had tried it commenting yet.

Also struggling to find a good LFS in my area (central NJ) who won't try to talk me into a 200+gal setup ("It's the only way to be successful at reefkeeping.") As a beginner, I think I will probably start with liverock and fish, and move to corals as things stabilize (and I prove I can keep from killing things).

My wife is a partner in this, she's the chemist and a stickler for schedules and details. Hopefully, we'll still be married in a few months with a living tank!

Anyway, new to NR and found your thread, and had to comment on your spectacular tank and helpful information. Hope you had a great vacation!

R

:welcome: to N-R!!!

wow, if you got the new tank myself, and many other here would be very interested in what you think of it and of course would love to see lot of pictures!! I don't know if they are sending out the new tanks yet but it would be nice to see. I herd something last month that release would be within 2 months, so you would be in line from that info.

I am also interested, very interested, if the media basket will fit as is, or if I will have to design a new rack for that tank. the cup should still be fine and the TUnze should fit, I imagine that the stock skimmer will suck as bad as ours did.

Good luck with the tank, let me know if you have any questions.

Best coral shot from my trip, many pictures to come, and my tank survied just fine for the 10 days I was away from it!!!! Go ATO

IMG_6963eh.jpg

Did you sneak any frags or polyps back in your socks? J/K...lol. I wanted to when I was in Jamaica, Lucky I didnt because I was the one that got pulled out of customs line to be really searched. Pockets turned inside out and all. maybe because I reeked of ganja? wait everyone reeks of ganja in Jamaica...lol.

Great Shots man. That looks like some kind of porties or montipora. Unless that isnt a macro shot. cant wait to see new pics.

I will upload a bunch tonight. I have so much actual work to catch up on, only 98 more emails to get thorugh :o

It was on maco, but is about 3-4" wide there in the pic. It is a soft coral, they don't have too many hard corals in that area. After seeing where they took us, I wanted to give them corals, not take them out!!! The reefs were at about 2% what they should be. But we went to a touristy area and the boat that comes in 3 times a day doesn't help a thing. It was actually pretty sad, but at least there were a few corals left, still tons of fish.

The current was really strong from the hurricanes so getting a steady close up shot was hard without weights or touching the rocks.

Camera case did amazing! That is by far the way to go to get good pictures.

I took 1158 pictures over 5 days :D

here is the full shot of that coral... I don't konw what it is

IMG_6946.jpg

My wife is a partner in this, she's the chemist and a stickler for schedules and details. Hopefully, we'll still be married in a few months with a living tank!

:welcome: to N-R and the RSM fold!

The trick is give the tank to her and then you can spend all the $$$ you can spare on it and she will not complain. :D Our tank belongs to SWMBO and she never complains about tank related expenditures. Of course, she gets to pick out everything that goes in the tank... (I'm in the process of building a 10g AIO where I get to make all the decisions. :) )

In a few months your tank will just be getting started. But not to worry, as long as you take your time, it just keeps getting better. I look to StevieT's pictures and hope that some day our tank looks as good as his!

(I'm also waiting to see if it will have a mermaid on his return from the tropics. ;) )

best,

hank

I am contemplating getting a used RSM. I currently have a stock 14g Biocube, and one of my main reasons to upgrade is that I want to get an anenome. Like a green or pink tip to host a clown. I've been told that my current tank does not have enough light. Has anyone seen a RSM with stock lights keeping this type of anenome? I like the look of the Red Sea, but if the lights are not strong enough, I am not sure I should move on this tank, even though I am getting a great deal. If only the Solana's were less expensive...

:welcome:

I do not know the exact answer, I have seen some anems in RSM tanks but would like to give you a correct answer, something that won't just get the coral by, but provide it's optimal requirements.

I am keeping a lot of SPS and a clam under the stock lights, but anems tend to do best under MH.

It may be OK at the top of the tank, but that would be about it. There are other options for your clown to host other corals. Maybe someone else can chime in, I have not seen too many anmes in the RSM.

I have a pink tip anemone in my RSM. Stock lighting/skimmer. Had been around for about 1 month plus and seems to be growing and spreading wider each day. It is hosted by my common clown fish and anemone crab. I feed it liquid food, mysis shrimps about once or twice a week. I also have a hitchhiker sand anemone that had been around for more than 1 month and couple of unwanted aiptasia. Tank has only been set up slightly longer than 2 months. Has some cynobacteria problem due to high bioload (5 fish, 5 crabs, shrimps)and fridge for frozen food being not cold enough.

post-37420-1221030882_thumb.jpg

Oh noes !!! We have major issue, everything is dead, corals all melted oh crap!

IMG_7390.jpg

:P

yeah, i think we have a problem with the sender. It lasted a year, I wouldn't call that long but I still find it handy to have. Time to order a new one next time dry goods are shipped in. Another reason to have a back up for everything, cheap corallife, you have been promoted !

IMG_7391.jpg

Oh noes !!! We have major issue, everything is dead, corals all melted oh crap!

IMG_7390.jpg

Clam Chowder!

If it's really authentic, Clam Chowdah!

What kind of clam was that, BTW?

-hank

Hey Stevie,

Still having problems with the temp. I can't figure out what the hood fan plugs into. I'm thinking there was a ac adapter included in the box that I overlooked when I built the tank. Do you have any idea what size it is so I can pick it up from radioshack? Also the flow is still giving me problems every once in a while it will be blocked and the return pumps start spitting out air usually it will be b/c I need to top off the tank or just move the media bags and rack around so flow can get through. Can you send a picture of where you have the chemipure purigen bags and the black sponge in the media rack so I know I have them placed correctly. Thanks again for all your help.

What happened? Banned or was it a joke? im kind of slow today

EDIT:Wait im an idiot, i read under you avitar

it was a joke that turned into a 24 hour ban since the software apparently gives you no less than that amount of time. No biggie, I am an official banned member of the cool kids club. Plus Ray made me all those stickers a while back, how can you complain about that?!

Archived