ReefCleaners.org

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

Dan P.-

:welcome: good to have another RSM owner on N-R!

Hope this helps you, I am glad that my thread could provide some information, it is getting rather large! Probably time for a few new indexed areas.

1. Could you go into a bit more detail about the pump you used and how you set up your ATO? If I missed it somewhere in the last 49 pages I appoligize.

I used a Maxijet 1200, it was probably overkill but they are bullet proof. I went off the lifting height sudgested by the company, a 900 didn't look like enough. You can also use an airlifter, but a nice cheap maxijet never hurt anything.

2. When is it safe to add a CUC and what do you reccomend? The kits that the Doctors sell seem a bit excesive for a small tank.

This is all dependent on your cycle and when your testing kits tell you to add life. Wait until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Nitrates will be removed by successive water changes and time. Add slowly. Start with a few turbo snails and maybe a few hermits. For a total CUC, i recommnend snails for algae, hermits for detritus and uneaten food. One shimp is nice as well and they are fun to watch and can be very social.

3. How long should I be running my lights being only 8 days into the cycle?

I like to run them at 6-8 hours durning the cycle. Some don't run them at all but that seems to be counter productive. The reason would be that you want to jump start the algae blooms and get them over with. So run the lights anywhere between 4-8 hours in the day, you should see algae growing on the sand and glass and even the rocks.

4. Is steve.taggart@us.atlascopco.com still a good contact and if so is that the best way to discuss obtaining the media rack and skimmer cup mod?

Yes, that is a good email for me, I can be reached pretty much all the time. I can send you a quote when you are ready for a media basket/cup, I take it you are thinking of going with the Tunze 9002 skimmer.

Tnx..

see if i can find one at my local reef shop! ( Netherlands )

oh, yeah I forgot you were in the Netherlands... I hope you can find one, they do break up flow nicely and provide some entertainment when a snail or crab decides to go for a ride!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GrandStrandReefer

Thanks for the swift reply!

One other question, what size stealth heater did you use? Was it a 150w?

Dan

fierceseaman

stevie, i know this was a awhile ago but what type arag-alive did you use in your tank? what size, the fiji pink or the special grade? thanks!

SteveT: GREAT thread. THANKS for it.

If you get time, I'm a new Max owner with a few questions.

See my build thread for background: Coming to the RSM from a 175 deluxe setup due to moving. 'Scuse the temporary aquascaping. We'll be moving this tank within a few months, we hope, as we sell our home.

NanoNana's thread

Here are the questions repeated. TIA!

1. Does anyone besides you have clams under these stock T-5 lights? I REALLY want one (hence my flirtation with NanoTuners...) but having seen Steve's impressive growth of SPSs and the installation of his clam (remember, I'm not to the end of the 42 pages ;) ) and am thinking I don't really need the halides (and hence, not the chiller either).

2. Surface film: I have one of the two stock pumps rippling the surface and still have crud. Wondering if the Tunze will help that, or is it just a fact of life with the RSM?

3. Fish: can one have more than one goby? I want a Rainsford but others in my list look cool, too! Yellow/pistol, firefish... Anyone know?

Thanks for the swift reply!

One other question, what size stealth heater did you use? Was it a 150w?

Dan

I think I went with the 300W since the 150 wasn't rated big enough. There is a picture on this thread somewhere, it may show up on the label on the heater

stevie, i know this was a awhile ago but what type arag-alive did you use in your tank? what size, the fiji pink or the special grade? thanks!

1-2mm, PM responded to

fierceseaman

Hey StevieT, I asked reefmack the same question but how did you install the hydor flo? Did you take off the loc-line and just jam it on the end? Is it on the end of the loc line? Just trying to get an idea.

Hey StevieT, I asked reefmack the same question but how did you install the hydor flo? Did you take off the loc-line and just jam it on the end? Is it on the end of the loc line? Just trying to get an idea.

It is really easy, you can see the adapter piece at the end of the bulkhead

IMG_5504.jpg

GrandStrandReefer

StevieT, just wanted to check with you to see if you've gotten my messages about purchasing some mods from you.

Dan P

StevieT, just wanted to check with you to see if you've gotten my messages about purchasing some mods from you.

Dan P

yes, and I do keep responding to your emails.

Email me driectly at steve.taggart@us.atlascopco.com apparently there isn't something working correctly when I repspond to an email, or PM me here, maybe something with a spam filter on your end. I will try you directly as well.

GrandStrandReefer

Thanks, I kinda figured that it was something on my end screwing things up because you are so prompt with responses, I'm going to try and see if I can figure it out again now

Thanks, I kinda figured that it was something on my end screwing things up because you are so prompt with responses, I'm going to try and see if I can figure it out again now

I have to think it is some kind of filter. I respond to every message that is sent my way, I try to do so as quickly as possible. I just sent you an email to the address you use for nano-reef, it was direct, I did not reply to the nano-reef email message this time.

It is really easy, you can see the adapter piece at the end of the bulkhead

IMG_5504.jpg

I did it the other way around!!

took the smalest!!

post-30240-1217864002_thumb.jpg

wow, it is funny how minds think differently! I can't see why that way wouldn't work, it is good to know their are other ways, I get asked how to mount this every now and then, thanks for the pic!

FYI from jmoose on the RC RSM thread:

"For anyone interested...

I called Red Sea in Houston yesterday regarding the 130D. They are supposed to be released sometime in September. No word on price difference vs. earlier models of the 130."

Time will tell if any of the minor changes really improve things. I guess we'll have to wait till the 130D has been out there for a couple months to get any worthwhile feedback.

Thanks ReefMack, it will be interesting to see one in person. It still looks very expensive which may keep most around here from purchasing one. I am very interested to see new sales of the 130d vs the Max

Martin_S: does that backdrop consist of actual, bacteria supporting, liverock? I guess there must be some hidden spaces in there for the water to get through the gate?

snake plissken
Its constructed ceramics

no life rock..

and its against the backwall.. with a skimming bucket at its original place

moto_0084_medium_141.jpg

that's KrAzY!. i want to see pix as that setup advances. did you make it yourdelf or did you buy it somewhere?

Can say too much about it ..

But what i can tell,, is that it probably be a wall that Red sea is going to bring it on the marked.

I took these pictures at someones place..he got it as a tryout

My eyes are burning... B) I've tried to read as many pages of this thread as possbile without asking a redundant question, so if I am, I apologize in advance. This thread is great and I"ve learned so much! Thank you for taking time to share your experiences.

I am looking to finally expand after having the same 10G nano, and I'm looking at the new CAD 39G and the RSM. I really want the RSM because it is the perfect size for me and I love the look of it. I am not excited about doing modifications, but I hear loud and clear that the skimmers stink. So here is my thought and I'd love your input. Do you think I would have success by using your media rack, simply removing the skimmer (I don't know what I would do with that real estate), and performing more frequent water changes? I really hate to admit it, but the RSM is pushing my budget, and I would like to at least delay the purchase of additional equipment. (I guess what I'm really praying for is an improvement from Red Sea Max)

Thanks again for such a valuable thread.

My small input is that I was blown away in the difference in changing the skimmer, I installed the Tunze last week and have collected more gunk in 2 weeks than the RSM one did in a year!! Should have done it earlier for sure.

My eyes are burning... B) I've tried to read as many pages of this thread as possbile without asking a redundant question, so if I am, I apologize in advance. This thread is great and I"ve learned so much! Thank you for taking time to share your experiences.

I am looking to finally expand after having the same 10G nano, and I'm looking at the new CAD 39G and the RSM. I really want the RSM because it is the perfect size for me and I love the look of it. I am not excited about doing modifications, but I hear loud and clear that the skimmers stink. So here is my thought and I'd love your input. Do you think I would have success by using your media rack, simply removing the skimmer (I don't know what I would do with that real estate), and performing more frequent water changes? I really hate to admit it, but the RSM is pushing my budget, and I would like to at least delay the purchase of additional equipment. (I guess what I'm really praying for is an improvement from Red Sea Max)

Thanks again for such a valuable thread.

hello! I am happy to see the thread is helpful, and you are the first one to ask this so no worries, sorry for the 50 pages of information!!

Ok on to your answer. Yes, you can run the tank without a skimmer. YOu can keep a nano tank without a protein skimmer, you are more dependent on water changes to take out waste and macro algaes such as chaeto can help greatly.

To be honest, if you run it stock, it is like running it skimmerless since the Red Sea skimmer sucks that bad ! B)

So if you ran the rack to hold all of your media, you could use the extra space to grow macro algae, or just leave it blank for now. If you keep up with water changes your tank should be ok, but not to knock a skimmer, they are still important.

So run a fuge until you save some money, then you can get the Tunze, but do it on your time. If you decide to start keeping SPS, I would say a skimmer is even more important.

Archived