Coral Vue Hydros

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

no problem.

I am digging the sunken ship, I think you can actually make this work in the tank for you.

Your rocks look very unnatural. Now this is your tank and the aquascape is all up to you, but it looks like a person stacked them up like blocks. I would go for a more natural look, get rid of some of the caves, the holes etc.

Often in this hobby, you start to learn that the LFS isn't the all mighty information spot. Sometimes sadly, they are out there to make money and not sell you something that is good for your tank. Now a condy anem is an easier one to care for yes, but it still should not be given to a begineer, or a tank that is only 2 months old. From the pictures it looks bleached out, too white, they are more of a yellow color naturally. Your water perams are much better than what I thought you were saying. The nitrate is managable, 10 is actually average for a tank that young. It took me 2-3 months to get it to 0. Removing the bio balls will greatly help, also look into running chemi pure elite and or purigen as chemical medias.

Some info on your anem:

The Condy Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although a Condy requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Condy Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Condy Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them. The diet should include feedings of fish, mussels, shrimp, or other foods of this type.

I would say it needs to be higher in the tank, but if I am reading correctly, it is not the best anem overall for any reef tank as it can and will sting other corals.

On your corals, I do not know what the first one is, the second is some kind of polyp, I have seen others here that look just like it, some sort of common polyp type coral. They look easy to care for.

With a reef, you need to be doing weekly water changes which will not only remove wastes, but replace trace elements that your corals feed off of. Calc and alk are very important to manage so a good reef testing kit is in order. I tested for the first few months but after thay you get a clue on what your tank needs and when to dose or not to. Basically I dose with a two part solution every 2-4 days depending on water changes, yet I have a lot of SPS corals that eat up calc pretty quickly.

Most of that algae is normal, more flow can help the diatoms, also feeding every other day different CUC. The hair algae is a tough one, some struggle with it, the blenny should really do the job though. Nitrates are a part of algae, but not the only factor. The hair algae will still grow with 0 nitrates in the tank.

Your waters surface looks pretty stagnant. You need some surface agitation to improve gas exchange. Also I see some surface film buildup, some tips for this tank are to lower the water level to just bellow the black molding and raise the intake grate about 1/4"

It also looks like your rocks are touching or really close the glass sides. This can make cleaning of algae really tough.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I was just thinking that same thing myself about the aqua-scaping. I didn't mind the look but with the rocks so close to the glass it has been a nightmare to clean and is very prone to getting lots of algae on the glass. Next water change, I think I'll do some rock re-arranging.

Thanks for the tips. I think then the plan will be to sit tight for a while on adding any corals and let the tank mature a bit. Perhaps in the meantime it would be worth while to look into the skimmer upgrade. They run for about $150.00 don't they? Or do you know any place to get them cheaper?

I would rescape it, too hard to clean, and when the tank matures, it is going to be impossible to remove any coralline algae.

The Tunze runs $150, they have a price lock so the only place to find one cheaper would be used. Any vendor that sells them will be the same as the next.

I would say if you rescape, look into the skimmer and keep those nitrates 0-10ppm, you can get some corals in there. Your tank is plenty old right now. That ship will look great all covered in coralline someday.

Ok, so I was bored last night so I decided I would do my weekly water change a couple days early. Also gave me a chance to siphon out some of the diatoms and move some rocks around. Let me know what you think of the new aqua-scaping.

july24020.jpg

Full tank shot. I angled up one of the pumps to break up the surface a little as well as closing the comb a little bit. It seems to have helped with the surface organic matter.

july24021.jpg

A little cave I made. The coral banded shrimp has taken a liking to it.

july24024.jpg

The boat. I'm an avid wreak Scuba Diver, so I felt a wreak would be a nice touch.

july24023.jpg

Another full tank shot.

I also have some nice sea shells I bought from a store in California while Scuba diving. I didn't collect them myself so the store has cleaned them for retail sale. Some are real cool looking and are all fairly small. if I boil them really good to sterilize them are they ok to add to the tank? I figure the hermit crabs might like to have a little variety to the substrate. I would likely only add three or four just for some nice decoration as long as it won't interfere with the water chemistry.

Thanks for all your help. Greatly appreciated. My apologies for taking up so much room in a thread that is suppose to be devoted to your tank.

It looks much nicer! I would sudgest getting a few more peices of rock to fill in the gaps now, better to do it before adding corals. Look for fully cured rock since your tank is already started.

The shells will be fine, a selection of homes for a hermit(s) is a good thing since if they feel the need, they will kill a snail for the shell. Boil them and you will be good to go, it will not mess with any chemistry if fully cleaned, which they most likely are already from the store.

Looks like it's time to start your own tank thread, you have a good start on the pictures!

Oh, and the waters surface looks much better! haha, don't worry, with 48 pages already, another one doesn't hurt. The index in the front was a must, not only for others reading, by for myself, I don't know what is where on this thing.

lilredneckman

Stevie, i am thinking about replacing my pump on my stock RSM skimmer and i was thinking about the MJ 900. Would this work? i would egt the Tunze 9002 but right now i really do not have the money.

Thanks

Stevie, i am thinking about replacing my pump on my stock RSM skimmer and i was thinking about the MJ 900. Would this work? i would egt the Tunze 9002 but right now i really do not have the money.

Thanks

no idea on that one... My educated guess would say that you have to stick with the red sea pump since it is the correct dimentions and rating.

http://www.marineandreef.com/MAX_Replaceme..._p/rrs40253.htm

wow, not cheap, what is wrong with yours? I would give you mine, but I am using it for water changes.

I would think you could pick one up from many of the RSM owners that swapped out their skimmer for the Tunze. I am sure they have no use for it unless for WCs

lilredneckman

Mine keeps making this weird humming sound. Like its kind of hard to explain but it was never this bad before.

Well after almost a year, I have found a possible problem hitchhiker crab. Now he has been in the tank for atleast 11 months, maybe longer if he came over from my Eclipse. So far no damage to anything which is a good thing since he/she is so cool looking.

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

Other pics while using the underwater case to shoot the crab.

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

Great underwater pics StevieT - that new case is really doing well! I think the xanthid crabs have eyes that aren't on stalks, but I'm sure no crab expert. Try a post in the RC inverts section - it would be nice to know what type it is. In any case it's a very cool looking crab. How big is it? It still amazes me that we can still see new life forms appearing in our tanks, even after more than a year.

Thank RM. The crab is about 1" wide, not a small thing at all. I am just shocked I am only seeing him now, even though this morning there is no sign of it again.

I will post it over there as well, most are saying xanthid here, but confirmation would be nice.

Either way I am going to be packing heat next time I go into the tank, can't take any chance when getting on his side of the rocks

When I was moving top rock from the RSM to the little 9g tank a while back something black fell off one rock as I was lifting it and it slithered down into the other rock. I'm 99.99% sure it was a crab about the size of yours. Never saw it before that and haven't seen it since. It was about a year when I saw my first bristleworm in the RSM, and it was several inches long, so they're in there but I just don't see them. The little tank that I moved the RSM rock into is loaded with them. Every time I lift up the filters in back of it, or clean out the filters, fuge or media, I see a couple. I have to be very careful working in the back of that little tank or I'll get stuck by one of those b___tards! They obviously came out of the RSM. It makes you wonder what other things are in our tanks that we aren't even aware of! It's bad enough avoiding the known dangers when we work in the tank, let alone wondering what else might bite, sting or poison us.

StevieT, did you notice any difference in nitrate levels after you installed the Tunze skimmer, all of a sudden my stock one is churning out next to nothing..good job that shiny new rack is nearly on my doorstep.

Great underwater pics StevieT - that new case is really doing well! I think the xanthid crabs have eyes that aren't on stalks, but I'm sure no crab expert. Try a post in the RC inverts section - it would be nice to know what type it is. In any case it's a very cool looking crab. How big is it? It still amazes me that we can still see new life forms appearing in our tanks, even after more than a year.

I recently has a red chiton about 1 inch long emerging out of my live rock right before my eyes. First time i lay my eyes on a chiton. Any idea about the care? Thanks to advice from Reefmack and Steve, my red sea max nitrate is zero now...

StevieT, did you notice any difference in nitrate levels after you installed the Tunze skimmer, all of a sudden my stock one is churning out next to nothing..good job that shiny new rack is nearly on my doorstep.

by the time that I installed the Tunze my tank was say 5-6 months old. So I was far into a more mature tank with no nitrates. Can it help, yes deffinetly can help with nitrates. But the main part would be weekly water changes and watch over feeding and over stocking. Protein skimmers are great at removing organic wastes from the fish and foods that you introduce into the aquarium, all of which can lead to nitrates. So you should see something, but of course keep up with maintenance and all around good husbandry.

Take a look at that rack when it arrives, that will be the last time it is shiny and new ;) It easy to clean though

Im thinking about a RSM to go on top of my kegorator.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

probably the best idea ever, as long as it isn't rice beer, I see only win in this situation!

:lol: I'll take some photos!

I've been fighting a losing battle with nitrates lately, just found out the water I get from my LFS has about 20ppm of the stuff.. :angry: Been doing big water changes for no reason, buying my own RO unit.

post-37791-1217160333_thumb.jpg

that sucks, it is always best to control the water that goes into your tank from start to finish. 20 isn't too bad though, you should be able to get that down.

GrandStrandReefer

Hello StevieT and all you fellow nano-reefers!

I read this post from start to finish this afternoon. /whew It has taken me nearly 5 hours and I have been truely blown away. Excelent job to StevieT and everyone else who has contributed.

I have owned my RSM for nearly a year, but just got it set up last weekend. (friend in the biz got it for me at cost) I have been waiting for a perminant place to set it up is why it has taken so long.

Got it stocked with nearly 50 lbs of LR but used the substrate for the starter kit to begin my cycle. As of Friday I started to get my first alge bloom. My computer skills are a bit laking but hopefully with the help of my wife I can post some pics on my own thread shortly.

I have the Tunze skimmer otw as well as a jbj ATO. Being an older version of the Max, I don't have the additional cooling fan in the rear but have spoken to Pinky and she has one as well as 2 additional hood fans otw. Really looking forward to seeing if the cooling fan will help because as of now I have been getting temp spikes above 83 during the day with the lights on. T-stat in house is set at 74 all the time. Plus I don't think the stock heater is very good because when I had the tank at 79.5 I had to set it to 74 for the light to go out.

I have also added a Hydor 1 circ pump and the Flo deflector. Pump is not running atm however. I have noticed that my Flo looks different from the ones in your pics in that it doesn't have the black disc shapped ring on the connection side. It appears that it works in a simmilar fashion to the one in your Youtube vid.

I feel like i'm starting to ramble so i'll wrap it up.

A few questions that I have are:

1. Could you go into a bit more detail about the pump you used and how you set up your ATO? If I missed it somewhere in the last 49 pages I appoligize.

2. When is it safe to add a CUC and what do you reccomend? The kits that the Doctors sell seem a bit excesive for a small tank.

3. How long should I be running my lights being only 8 days into the cycle?

4. Is steve.taggart@us.atlascopco.com still a good contact and if so is that the best way to discuss obtaining the media rack and skimmer cup mod?

Thank you in advance and again super job on this extensive and truely informative post.

Dan P.

StevieT . Nice video.. Snail ride

probebly.. its on here for some time now.

But how did you made this rotation device!!!

or on what page in your journal is it?

StevieT . Nice video.. Snail ride

probebly.. its on here for some time now.

But how did you made this rotation device!!!

or on what page in your journal is it?

I didn't make it. It is a rotating deflector made by Hydro, you can find them at some LFS's and online retailers for around $12.00

Tnx..

see if i can find one at my local reef shop! ( Netherlands )

I didn't make it. It is a rotating deflector made by Hydro, you can find them at some LFS's and online retailers for around $12.00

Archived