inTank Media Baskets

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I did the JimDantin magfloat painting. WOW, what a difference. If you have some black spray paint laying around you need to do this. It basically makes the thing invisable.

I forgot to take a picture of all the coralline coving this thing before cleaning. But it came off really easy with some sand paper.

Little bit before sanding

IMG_4768.jpg

after

IMG_4769.jpg

Lay down on tape

IMG_4771.jpg

Take a razor and cut around the base

IMG_4772.jpg

Perfectly taped ready to paint

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

Before:

IMG_4754.jpg

After:

IMG_4783.jpg

Peppermint decided to take a ride on the rotating deflector today.

IMG_4778-1.jpg

IMG_4781-1.jpg

IMG_4782-1.jpg

Pretty amazing, right? Why in the world didn't they make it out of black plastic like some of the other companies?

One bad side effect -- I have had to look closely for it at night!

Report on the new media basket and skimmer cup --

Perfection!

There's really nothing else to say.

:D

no kidding right?! The black makes it so much better, why didn't we do this earlier? Come to think of it, my first mag scraper on my acrylic tank was black, now that tank sucked butt but I never realized why it was black. It was the crappy felt kind that didn't float, but it did the job ok for acrylic.

Thanks for the idea on the float, I only did the inside one, I am going to do the outside today since it bugs me as well now with the color difference.

All you man, JimDantin design, StevieT production :D

I just got a call from a customer in SC that just recieved the rack and cup. He said about the same thing, it is nice to make something that works so well!!!

I like the see thru nimbles - less obtrusive... You barely know they're there.

I can see a clear one looking better as well. that "white" mag float uses is ugly

I painted the outside one as well, what a difference!

Awesome thread StevieT! Very informative :)

thank you!

snake plissken

StevieT - did you use regualr spray paint? nothing special? i am ignorant that why i am asking.

i would be terrrofied to enter any foreign substances into my tank...but obviously you know what you are doing. any kind of paint will work fine?

please educate me!! :D

haha, yeah I decided to "experiment" and not get on board with the krylon since I don't have it in stock. I have used this paint on my old eclipse for a few things.

I used Restoleum enamel spray paint.

The way I see it and from being a painter for years when it cures, it is one solid coating. There really isnt' anything that can leach into your water. It is a solid coating that makes a shell on the substrate. I let it sit for 24 hours to fully cure and rinsed it before entering into the tank.

Best RSM Ever!

I think im gonna paint my magfloat white then lay some glow in the dark coat over it.

oh yeah! THat would be pretty sweet actually, it gets plenty of light all day to recharge. I would like to see a night time pic of this!

haha, yeah I decided to "experiment" and not get on board with the krylon since I don't have it in stock. I have used this paint on my old eclipse for a few things.

I used Restoleum enamel spray paint.

The way I see it and from being a painter for years when it cures, it is one solid coating. There really isnt' anything that can leach into your water. It is a solid coating that makes a shell on the substrate. I let it sit for 24 hours to fully cure and rinsed it before entering into the tank.

oh yeah! THat would be pretty sweet actually, it gets plenty of light all day to recharge. I would like to see a night time pic of this!

Moonlights would keep it bright afterhours as well.

good point, that would be pretty sweet. I wonder if a clear coat would be a good idea over that coating

StevieT: Not to be negative but I'm not too sure about what's in the Rustoleum paint you used. Some of the Rustoleums have aluminum or other metals in them, plus other possibly nasty stuff and carcinogens. Here's an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) site for the Rustoleum products:

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgresourcecenter.asp?sn=msd

See if you can find the paint that you used, and then an MSDS (pdf file) that will tell you what's in it. I'd be a bit concerned also since the Krylon paints are made to chemically bond to plastic, and I'm not sure if the Rustoleum products will. I'm wondering if the Rustoleum types don't bond to plastic, if they will eventually start flaking off. Salt water is pretty corrosive to some things. I'd hate to see anything bad happen to your tank in the future.

Good points, i will keep any eye on it. I have used this paint on a pump and wall on an older tank. I probably will pick up some krylon soon just to play it safe, sand this one off and redo it.

That or look into a clear coat.

If it worked before that's a good sign it'll be OK. I found an MSDS on Krylon:

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.js...PC=724504029113

The Krylon doesn't look as bad as some of the Rustoleums I looked at. A lot of the things listed will evaporate off as any of these paints dry & cure. Always better to be safe than sorry. You'll probably be fine, but keep an eye on the tank for a while. Sorry about sending what may be a false alarm.

In my business, saftey recommendations are for the intended use. When something is used for some other application it could potentially cause problems.

no, thanks for the info! I am aware that Krylon is the best especially since it bonds with the plastic. I have just used this in the past yet that tank is junk compared to this one! :D

I think a nice clear coat is in order for now, should seal in anything that may leach and help with the saltwater erosion.

clownfish1124

Hey StevieT! i love your tank. could you post a picture of your lights? you probably have already but i am way to lazy to flip through 45 pages of thread!

the stock ligthing? don't know if i ever really took a pic of that since they are common.

Here is a stock pic

lighting.jpg

let me know if you want a pic of something else on the lighting

yes, all stock lighting, i had the itch to upgrade, but after watching all that SPS grow fast and having a closed hood with all the bells and whistles, i ditched the idea.

I like the color the bulbs give off too, very marine looking, very bright.

haha....

Ok, they are T5 PCs

Meaning, T5 diameter bulbs, T5 output

But with a PC 4 pin connection. You can put PC bulbs in if you want a different color, but you sactrafice the light output.

I have the stock bulbs in, changed them for new ones 8 months in. The lighting is always a huge debate on this tank since they are so unique.

Archived