Innovative Marine Aquariums

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oceanic 30g

Tank looks clean. I like it. I hate when you see all the equipment and all the algae because people are lazy.

When are you fraggin some of that stuff for me?

USB missle launcer is key! I love shooting around the office or the tank. Fish love it.

What do you want fraged?! I was just thinking today that I may have to set up a prop tank someday, need to get some money back out of this hobby.

Oceanic 30g

There are several items in there I like. Let me get this thing cycled and we can work out a price and shipping method.

I try not to do too much in the morning. Right now I am working on an AD so I am by the computer a lot and take short breaks. I am sure this afternoon will be busy again, that time of year in the Drilling world!

666 scary!!!!! :scarry:

quick question, currently what fishes are you stocking?

i have a rsm and here is what i have:

two true percs

solar wrasse

longfin wrasse

firefish

5 fish right now, but i am thinking about adding a yellow watchman goby.

one thing i am tempted to do is to pair up the firefish with another one with a YWG so i would have a total of 7 fishes. not sure if that will be overstocking, but the firefishes are pretty small and YWG is a bottom dweller so should be ok. plus i do weekly water changes and have the Tunze 9002 skimmer. what do you think?

james

Here is my stocking list;

Coral Beauty

Pajama Cardinal

B&W clown

Yellow Watchman Goby

Purple Firefish

Peppermint shrimp

CUC.

The YWG will still add a bio load to your tnak, especially if you add another firefish. 7 Fish mabye be ok... but it is not ideal. I feel that I have just the correct amount of fish. I am tempted to pair the clown with another, but right now they poop enough in the tank.

should i pair the firefish or get a YWG then?

i know this is a personal preference, but just wanted some other people's opinion.

here is my thinking right now. i have the solar wrasses which is a very pretty fish. it's a rainbow colored fish, but the thing is that it doesn't come out all that much. it's a fish that likes to be in shaded areas so it's under rocks and stays there. i didn't know at the time when i bought the fish, but it'll be a pain in the butt to take him out. so i am just going to keep him in the time being. i hope it'll start coming out more because it's a beautiful fish.

my two percs are out all the time. my long fin wrasses is in and out of the rocks so it's good to have. my firefish is out in the front as well. with that said, i have 3 fishes that are constantly outside the front with the longfin wrasse coming in and out. if i get a YWG then it will mostly like be hidden in rocks so i am leaning towards getting another firefish so that more fish will be out. but at the same time i want best of both worlds and want to get both the firefish and YWG.

bottom line from your experience since you had your RSM running for awhile, would these 7 fish be too much if i do weekly water changes and have a skimmer. i trust your opinion since it looks like you know what you are doing with your tank.

2 true percs

2 firefish

1 solar wrasse

1 longfin wrasse

1 YWG

thanks for your input!

james

i just got the firefish yesterday so it's not too late to add another firefish.

James-

It is going to be hit or miss on either the firefish being social or the yellow watchman.

My watchman has always been out in the front of the tank. My purple firefish used to be that way, but recently all it does is hide and I completly forget I even have the thing until feeding time.

IMO, i like diversity, so more color is better. In that sense you can get the YWG if you like yellow...

Overall they are all really small fish and I think if you keep up with the water changes, watch your levels for some time after you do this, keep that skimmer on, you can do the additions that you want. Just watch your feeding and make sure they are eating most of it at once. Feed every other to every 3 days, even though a YWG is supposed to eat every day, mine gets food every other.

Question: how big does that wrasse get of yours?

here are the links to the wrasses i have.

Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse - max size is 5"

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=369

mine is about 3 inches. it's my biggest fish.

Longfin Fairy Wrasse - max size is 3"

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1158

mine doesn't have that extra fin on top, but looks similar to this one. might be a different species, but it's a long fin.

i would suggest that you get a wrasse in the future. they are beautiful fishes. they will make a great addition to your tank. if you go to liveaquaria.com they have pictures of all the wrasses that are reefsafe. personally, i really like the exquisite fairy wrasse and scott's fairy wrasse. nice colors. most of the fairy wrasses are nice.

with that said, i might consider getting the purple firefish. do you think it is ok to pair that with a regular fire fish? not sure if they will get along.

looking at it again, those wrasses are larger fish in the sense of a nano. I would be hesitant about adding anything else at this time. Mabye wait it out and see what your levels are looking like. The clowns can get up to 3" adult. you would have around 26" of fish total with that increase in stocking. That is a lot for a 29 gallon display.

I have no experience with firefish except for the purple ones, and only had a single one.

alright, i'll wait it out a little bit, but my first opportunity, i'm going to try to get the solar wrasse out of there. pretty fish, but boring. plus that fish has a max size of 5" so taking him out might enable me to put 2 other fish that are smaller like another firefish and a YWG.

thanks for your advice. greatly appreciate it.

Easystreet31

Hey Hey StevieT!

Well I am a SW noob and your thread has me interested in the RSM even though I have been told I can get better for cheaper with better lighting elsehwere. I love the AIO features the RSM has.

Here is an itemized list to start it up. Let me know if I am missing anything.

Tank --------------------- 750.99 (sale goin on now includes stand and starter pack)

Tunze 9002 --------------- 151.01

Nano Pwhead -------------- 26.19

JBJ ATO ------------------- 79.99

Live Rock 40lbs ------------ 200.00 (Planning on getting the good stuff. I may be over here)

Live Sand 40lbs ------------ 40.00 (1.5 -2 inches of sand)

Container for ro water for ato - 10-50 bucks (carboy on ebay)

I need a ro/di unit ---------- 160.00 (estimate may run me cheaper or higher depending)

Misc plumbing supplies ------ 20-100

TOTAL ------------------- 1558.18 +shipping *gulp*

The rest goes to live stock. Sound like a plan?

looks about correct, i think you can find some of the items just a bit cheaper, but this is not a cheap set up!!!

Get a koralia #2 instead of the nano (if that is what you ment by nano)

The starter kit is absolute junk so if you can find a tank with just the stand go for it

other than that I am impressed with the research!

Easystreet31
Get a koralia #2 instead of the nano (if that is what you ment by nano)

Yeah thats what I meant. Alright then. Thanks tons. Oh and when/if I do go this route. I will probably PM you with a whole bunch of questions.

Yeah thats what I meant. Alright then. Thanks tons. Oh and when/if I do go this route. I will probably PM you with a whole bunch of questions.

you and all the other new RSM owners ;)

Go ahaed, I am more than happy to help! B)

Man, when I grow up, I wanna be just like stevie T

you are going to grow up?

Archived