Top Shelf Aquatics

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
snake plissken

StevieT - I have been reading your topic diligently. I even sent a link to RSM to ask about the skimmer cup mod you detailed here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1417182

here is the reply -

Dear Kemp

This is good modification that we added ourselves to the new MAX skimmers

Best Regards

Sharon

I guess my question is - has anybody ordered a new RSM and gotten a different skimmer cup than the original?

The stock skimmer doesn't work, and the tunze does. The tunze is also quiter and produces less micro bubbles. If I were you, don't even mess with the stock skimmer, replace it with the tunze right away. YOu will have lots of room

is the 9002 the biggest you can use in a RSM?

StevieT - I have been reading your topic diligently. I even sent a link to RSM to ask about the skimmer cup mod you detailed here

here is the reply -

Dear Kemp

Best Regards

Sharon

I guess my question is - has anybody ordered a new RSM and gotten a different skimmer cup than the original?

I just got my RSM a couple weeks ago and it doesn't have holes in the skimmer top. I'm probably going to take StevieT's advice and just get one of those Tunze's. Sucks RedSea would put all that effort into making an effortless tank and use some crap skimmer. Is there ANY advantage to the RS version? Skimmate capacity? Anything?

here is the reply -

Dear Kemp

Best Regards

Sharon

Snake-

They have made the change.

I have herd that the new RSM skimmers are coming with a very small hole drilled into the cup. It all depends on when your Max was manufactured, so even if you buy a new one, it may have been in that store for a while and will be concidered an older model.

Even if you drill a hole don't expect too much out of the skimmer, it is in all rights a POS. It doens't work, straight out it does not perform like a skimmer should. Yes you will get it to collect a thick paste in the neck over a months time, but that is not what a skimmer should do. Just replace it right away and save yourself the headaches. Bill Red sea back for it, I am thinking of doing so, the tank is awesome, but the skimmer is NOT as they advertise.

Jlyec- the 9002 is what will fit. I would think if you got a larger model it would sit too high and not allow the lid to close. It is rated at 50 or so gallons so there is no reason to look for a larger model IMO.

snake plissken

i have been running the RSM for ten months and i still can not get any skimmate in the collection cup! the neck is thick with gunk.

I bought the MAX becasue it looks great and has everyhitng incorporated in a very "discreet" package. the more i read posts here and elsewhere it seems buying a Tunze is the way to go. Very disapointing though since i loved the "one stop shopping" attractiveness of the RSM. I was trying to avoid buying a tank and having to upgrade components.

Let me know if you have any luck with reimbursement from Red Sea on a new skimmer!

you are the only one!!!!!

Besides the performance, the Tunze is 1000x quieter, so it was a good upgrade all around. The stock skimmer was too damn loud.

frog.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-3.jpg

1-4.jpg

rsm.jpg

Finall... A Clam!!!! Just unpacked it from Mr. Coral. hopefully it takes hold, I am leaving for business and won't be around the tank for a few days.

10.jpg

11-4.jpg

12.jpg

Tank looks awesome Stevie...Quick question for you or anyone really. I've read a bunch of threads where people say to cut the black foam in half, but nobody says the final size of it. I've also heard that RSM fixed this problem with new tanks. I'm just curious as to how big this SHOULD be ultimately? Here is a pic of the one that came with my brand new RSM (sorry for the blurry pic):

Loons_030508_003.jpg

This is 3.5"x3.5"x3.75"...should I cut it down more?

I also recently said that my tank didn't have the skimmer mod Stevie made with the drilled holes in the top, but there is a small hole there. So small I didn't see it at first!!

StevieT- The tank looks great! I have to agree with you on the skimmer as I installed the Tunze 9002 as well and it is way better then the stock unit. Let me know as well if you get anywhere with "Pinky" on a refund.... :lol: .

jlylec - your foam looks much smaller than the one I had originally. I would install and check to see how it works before you consider cutting it down any further.

looks like a newer sponge, they are cutting them back now when sending out new units. I wouldn't mess with it too much unless you feel it is necessary.

alright, out for a while, business trip

Hi Steve!

I joined this forum just to get your advice on the RSM!! It took many links to find you and your thread is awesome. It has already answered many of my questions but I still have some. I'm a big Newbie so hopefully this won't be too redundant for you! I appreciate any help with this system.

1. I just set up my RSM 2 weeks ago. 34 lb. cured LR and 30 lb LS. I was told on other forums to leave the skimmer off until it's done cycling. Is this accurate? It's been off and my tank is teaming with pods, dusters and lots of other life forms. Starting to get the brown algae now. Is it time to turn on the skimmer? Obviously looking into the Tunze.

2. If I am setting up a FOWLR system do I still remove the bio media pack? So I will change the carbon bag to Chemi Pure and put nothing else in the chamber?

3. When you do your water changes, do you pour your new water directly into the main tank?

I see your off on a trip so maybe someone will help out until your back. Your tank looks fantastic! I'm sure I'll need a million more questions answered. I'm off to this site to find out all I can from the experts!

Thanks

mandelbloom
Hi Steve!

I joined this forum just to get your advice on the RSM!! It took many links to find you and your thread is awesome. It has already answered many of my questions but I still have some. I'm a big Newbie so hopefully this won't be too redundant for you! I appreciate any help with this system.

1. I just set up my RSM 2 weeks ago. 34 lb. cured LR and 30 lb LS. I was told on other forums to leave the skimmer off until it's done cycling. Is this accurate? It's been off and my tank is teaming with pods, dusters and lots of other life forms. Starting to get the brown algae now. Is it time to turn on the skimmer? Obviously looking into the Tunze.

2. If I am setting up a FOWLR system do I still remove the bio media pack? So I will change the carbon bag to Chemi Pure and put nothing else in the chamber?

3. When you do your water changes, do you pour your new water directly into the main tank?

I see your off on a trip so maybe someone will help out until your back. Your tank looks fantastic! I'm sure I'll need a million more questions answered. I'm off to this site to find out all I can from the experts!

Thanks

Since Stevie is gone I will try and answer...as I asked many of the same ?'s.

1. Yea keep it off, once your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 its time to fire it up! But it probably wont do much until you add some livestock. Make sure you open up the valvle, its the greyish platic piece on the end of the tube.

2.Usually the recomendation is taking it out, however, if you are going with a FOWLR and plan on stocing it heavier than the recomended 4/5 fish you may need the extra biological filtration. If you do leave it it make sure you remove it on occasion and swish it around in a bucket of clean saltwater.

3. Not sure how he does it, but I siphon out however much I am changing. Then use a pump to slowly pump in the new water. This keeps things from getting all stirred up.

Hey Hazmat,

Below is Steve's answer to my question about Water quality/changes...it can be found on page 15 of this thread. I asked him about water changes, ATO, and RO/DI , below is his response which also explains his method for WC

haha

No, salt does not evaporate, so you will only replace it with freshwater. So in the resivor it is RO water. I get my water from a water delivery service that I have for drinking water at my office. If i did not have that I would have a RO/DI unit. But since it is at no charge to me and is pure as day, I have 4 - 5 gallon water jugs of RO delivered every other week.

During a water change I add 4 gallons of RO to a bucket. Add in 2.5 cups of salt. Drop in a heater and a powerhead to bring it up to temp and do the mixing for me. This brings my mix to 1.025 salinity.

I syphon out 4 gallons of water from the display, use the razor blade every other week to remove stuck algae and coralline. Rinse the sponges, change the filter floss every week. Add in the water that has been mixing in the other bucket.

I do turn off my pumps and ATO during a water change so nothing is run dry and the ATO doesn't kick fresh water in my tank, that would be badddddddddd!!!!

ATO resivor lasts 5-6 days without refilling.

Remember, salt does not evaporate so i don't add the mix to the resivor, that would just be a pain since i would have to drain out the ro water, make sure the tubing is clear, remove the pumps, etc. I prefer dumping the water directly into the tank. If i was more "fancy" i would use a pump to add the water back, but then I would have waste every week since there would always have to be a level to where the pump doesn't run dry.

Hey Hazmat,

Below is Steve's answer to my question about Water quality/changes...it can be found on page 15 of this thread. I asked him about water changes, ATO, and RO/DI , below is his response which also explains his method for WC

Thanks Alex! I did read through the whole thread and I even wrote down those directions but I guessed I missed the part about putting the water directly in the tank. My bad!!

I started a new thread on the newbie forum about my cycle if anyone would care to help me with it. It gives more info on that thread.

Thanks everyone!

I know Stevie is away so I'm hoping there's someone else who can help here!

Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of the internal set-up in their RSM? I'm about to set mine up without the stock skimmer (Tunze on way) and don't understand something:

1. what holds the black sponge up, directly under the intake?

2. i hear of people putting floss in there too...what keeps it in place?

also...I have a brand new, never even wet, stock skimmer for a new RSM (factory hole drilled in top even) that I'd part with at this point if anyone wants it. Possible trade or something. PM.

I know Stevie is away so I'm hoping there's someone else who can help here!

Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of the internal set-up in their RSM? I'm about to set mine up without the stock skimmer (Tunze on way) and don't understand something:

1. what holds the black sponge up, directly under the intake?

2. i hear of people putting floss in there too...what keeps it in place?

also...I have a brand new, never even wet, stock skimmer for a new RSM (factory hole drilled in top even) that I'd part with at this point if anyone wants it. Possible trade or something. PM.

Hazmat, hope you got everything answered, if not I can field them tomorrow, looks like everyone did a great job at getting to your questions.

1. The sponge is held in place by fitting snuggly into the chamber. It should butt up against the back glass and the false smoke wall, holding it in place. Right now I have two sponges running. One to the right of the tunze and one under the intake. It makes it so any water entering hits a sponge and does't let detritus into my chambers.

2. Floss sits on top of the sponge, can't go anywhere.

Yes, I add it slowly directly into the top of the tank. I try not and let the new water hit the corals too hard and I try not to move the sandbed too much.

If you had a system with a sump you would add it back in there but I add it directly to the tank. The temp is a spot on match and same with salinity.

So while you were out I did a ton of research here and on the rsm reefers site. I know most of you guys do reef systems so maybe I'm in the wrong place.

So I cant really get an answer to the bio media chamber. Since I am starting with a FOWLR tank do I remove the ceramic bag or not?? I plan on using the Chemi pure instead of the carbon and I've already taken out the white sponge and cut the black one in half. Of course I still have bubbles!!

Waiting for hubby to get home from OOT to do some of the other mod's like the hole in the skimmer. I'm in Dallas and we had a snowstorm yesterday!! All flights into DFW were cancelled! The day before it was in the 70's. Probably TMI....

Anyway, I'm looking into the Tunze skimmer and I'm sure hubby can figure out the magnet thing. So what do you think about the 3rd chamber (or is it 1st?) Media in or out??

Thanks!!

Heidi

Heidi-

I was hearing about this storm, I was going through some emails from yesterday and our warehouse in Allen, TX was not shipping out, so it must have been bad!!! they never shut down.

With my research a fish only system can run the bio media. Nitrates are not an issue as with reefs. On my freshwater tank at home, I run bio balls. Just make sure you take them out every now and then to clean them off.

The bubbles should go away over time. These red sea tanks seem to have the issue, but they will go down as you break things in. I didn't run my skimmer during the cycle. The tunze is a great upgrade, and the magnetic mount is pretty easy. Just glue and your set!

An answer....Thank you!!

Yes, the storm was pretty crazy. On Sunday we had 80 degree weather then got a cold front and had snow on Monday night. Then back into the 70's Tues, Wed. Then here comes Thursday with a 40 degree drop. Rain turned to ice then to snow. I'm right between Dallas and Fort Worth and we got about 2 inches. Looking at it right now. Up north around Denton they got 9 inches.

I'm originally from Illinois so it cracks me up whenever a city comes to a stop because of some snow. They closed the entire airport!!

But the kids had fun!!

If you have a chance...can you check out my thread in the newbie section on "im not sure where im at in my cycle". Like that title?? :P Maybe give me some advice there too??

Thanks

Archived