Cultivated Reef

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

tarajean0627

Oceanic 30g,

Thank you for the offer of the reef base but no thanks. :) I agree I need to go get a RSM. I have been drooling over it for months and doing tons of research on what to stock it with and how to maintain a saltwater reef tank etc etc etc and now the problem/issue is convincing the husband to let me use a portion of the tax return to help get this. Problem is we already have a 37 gal freshwater, 2 small 5 gal hexs for the bettas, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 ferrets, and 1 hamster. LOL I am not even sure where I am going to put the RSM when I do finally get it. LOL :) But thanks again for the little boost it definately makes me smile! :)

Stevie,

Thanks for the info on the starter kit and its contents. Do you have any suggestions on what substrate to use? Also for the test kits would you suggest the API master reef kit and the API master saltwater kit? I use the API for freshwater kit for my freshwater tank and I think it does pretty well but if there are better ones out there let me know. :)

Sarah

PS Your tank is still looking great and you bet if/when I get mine I will have a detailed picture log of every step I take right here on n-r!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actaully going bare bottom is the best way to control nitrates and problems with any tank, but since not to many do that go with a good looking sand. I have one bag of both of these:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...y_Code=Livesand

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...y_Code=Livesand

It is a good idea to have both the API saltwater and reef master test kit on hand when you first start. It is a trusted testing kit and you will need to moinitor all levels for a few months. After that testing will become more scarce once you figure out calcium depletion etc... don't want to confuse you too much!

Get the tank!!!!!!!!!! dooooo it !!!!!!!!!! B)

Oceanic 30g

Sarah,

Do what I do. I tell the wife it cost $100 for the RSM. No, really, sell one of the freshwater tanks.

Sarah...

You have a ton of animals! Holy cr?p.

tarajean0627

LOL you both are cracking me up! Okay so we will have to wait and see. Yeah I have a ton of animals and that is one reason it may be hard to convice him to let me get another tank. LOL I can't get rid of my 37 gal I finally got it through my thick skull that Molly's are the worst fish and so I stocked it with 4 small cichlids and they are doing great!! It is just a time game with the bettas.

I agree from what I have read bare bottom's are the best. But I am not too keen on the way they look so I want the sand. :) Just typing all that makes me laugh.... LOL

Thanks for the substrate tips and actually I was going to go with those same ones before I asked but I am glad to hear you did one bag of each cuz I couldn't make up my mind on which one. LOL

Sarah

yeah, same here, i couldn't decide so I did one of each. I like the small shells and junk in the one bag, yet overall it all gets lost in corals over time.

You do have a zoo over there!!! And the waiting game on the betas may take forever, those things are bulletproof. Good call on the cichlids, i have a fW tank with mostly Africans, i belive i have a pic on my thread somewhere, its getting rather long! B)

So are you getting the tank today? Sweet, can't wait to see pics.

tarajean0627

oh no not today...LOL... have to wait for tax return to get here but because of my small business I was able to get us a bit more than what he thought we were going to get .... sooooo.... I say that constitutes a bit of it coming my way to get me the RSM. :) LOL

Edit... I just put you over 20 pages too

see there you go. you are the money maker and should make the decision that you need to have an ocean in your house to complete your zoo. Plus you would be helping the economy, it's a win win situation. B)

I PM'd you those salt results. If you do end up getting this tank, ask away, all the members here that have this tank are just awesome and more than likely to help. Unlike those CAD and Finnex owner, they are just mean and smell funny ;)

Tarajean, don't let them make you feel bad about your zoo.

i have three dogs (2German Shepherds, 1 Yorkie), 1 dwarf Lionhead rabbit, 1 Pineapple conure and now the fishtank.

All my neighbors think I'm the crazy animal lady. JK

I wish I could have a dog!!!! With my life right now it wouldn't work out too well, but fish do fit the bill nicely

20 pages and 23,000+ views!!! crazy

I think I would be the king of crazy animal people :D

1 leopard gecko, 1 bearded dragon, 4anoles 1 house gecko, 29 gallon planted tank, 10 gallon african cichlid fry tank, and the 16 gallon nano. That's all in my room.

We also have 2 cats and my sister has a 10 gallon cichlid tank

tarajean0627

Chazde3,

See now you do have alot of animals but most of those are contained in tanks right? Most of mine (cats, dogs, and ferrets sometimes) are out in the house. LOL I think when we build the florida room he will let me put a really big tank in there, like a 125 gallon one but that is way way way down the road. Just trying to get the small one first. LOL

Sarah

True, their in tanks, but that's just in one room, but I'm running out of living space :lol:

Stevie great pictures as always

Thanks!!! I am just using a point and shoot, canon SD750. But I use it on manual mode to get the lighting right. Turn it on Macro zoom (flower logo) and turn the ISO way down to 80 so they come out nice and clear. For taking pics of fish you turn it up otherwise it blurs. I really want to get a SLR camera in the future for tank shots.

Oh, lots of practice!

I don't know how this one got left out, one of my favorite SPS corals in my tank, thanks Mvite aka awesome!

IMG_3467.jpg

Oceanic 30g

Looks good. Growing out like crazy. I think in about a month you may be ready to frag some stuff and send it my way!!!!

Are those gorgonias up in the back. I had some in my last tank.

Yeah they are orange gorgonias, they are doing rather well. Nothing too special, just something to fill in the background with.

Couple of questions when you have a moment -

What makes the sand mix you recommend so good? Why did you choose it over other stuff?

Can you provide me with the PDF comparison of the sea salt mixes?

Your tank is looking better than ever. I've been following as much as I can (in the member's tank forum) and I'm still sold on the RSM. The only thing that came close to making me change my mind was this thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133238

That member's tank looks soooo good - makes me want to go out and buy a ten. ;)

thanks again,

hank

hank-

here are the salt results

http://reefsaltanalysis.googlepages.com/AW...alysis_0208.pdf

I went with that sand because I used it in my old tank and Liked it. I has a nice grain size and is really bright white, very natural looking and just pops under the lighting. Other than that it was "live" even though you can seed it with older sand. I just wanted to do everything right from the gitgo on this tank.

Tashayar has a really nice tank. The RSM is a good AIO, it looks really cool too. After keeping a 12 gallon and now this 34 gallon I am sold on larger tanks. You can hold more corals and keep the water quality in check.

tarajean0627

Stevie,

Once again I must say your tank looks amazing. I have some good news, while I haven't gotten the RSM yet my husband is going to be giving me a bit of the tax return to "play" with. How much that will be I don't really know LOL But either it will be enough to get the RSM or to at least start a 10gallon. Either way I will be happy to be able to get my "feet wet" with saltwater. Also I know that I will eventually upgrade to the RSM no matter what I start with....hmmm .... maybe that can be a selling point for him. LOL I know I know bills come first...:)

Great to see your tank looking so lovely and I am super excited to see how well the clam is doing! That was a big factor in the decision to get an RSM because I like the Plug in Play and the ability to do just about anything with it. :)

Again you will be hearing alot of questions from me soon. 10gal DIY or RSM ??? What will it be??? I wonder????

Sarah

Well, the RSM is not a cheap tank, especially when compared to a 10 gallon. But after lighting, equipment, and other upgrade costs, I supppose it isnt' too far apart. A "practice" tank is not always a bad thing, especially if you can get some money out of selling it or pieces of it when you are done. But if you do it right from the start, I would go with the RSM. But hat is all up to you. Either way this is a really fun and rewarding hobby!

oh, clam is doing great, it said it's frist words today:

Poster2-1.jpg

Archived