Pod Your Reef

My 10 gallon after 6+ years

BustytheSnowMaam

BustytheSnowMaam

I thought it was about time I posted some pics/specs of my 10. This tank started as a habitat for a striped hermit crab that a friend "accidentally" brought home in some collected seashells from Florida. We bought a box of IO, mixed it up, added some dolomite substrate, and put some river rock in, and it became home to "Crabby" for several years.

Then I got tired of having a crab-only habitat. So I found this site, posted a few dumb newbie questions (what does LR stand for?), and got some directions for setting up a nano. At first I intended it to be just a FOWLR tank. I purchased 22 lbs of LR at an LFS, cycled the tank with Crabby in it, and then I ordered a pair of clowns from Premium Aquatics. Here's my very first tank pic. And Crabby is in the middle there, he was huge. Please don't laugh.

firsttank.jpg

But then, of course, I wanted corals. And I wanted the tank to be as natural and self-sustaining as possible- I think that this is possible with some common sense practices- regular water changes, not overstocking/overfeeding, good light, and plenty of flow. Besides the fact I don't have time to test, dose, and fuss with the tank a lot. Aside from at the very beginning when I checked the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels, I don't test anymore. I've never had an algae outbreak or tank crash, and I still have the same clown pair and one original zebra hermit- 6 years later. I don't mix my own saltwater anymore- I fell in love with the convenience of box water at the store, so I don't even check the SG. It's a complete jungle right now- there are random capnella frags, mushrooms, anthelia, green zoas, red zoas, and GBPs growing evefywhere. The more I give them away, the faster they grow. Anyhow, here's a pic. I had just had my hand in there so a few things are p*ssed off:

IMG_5972.jpg

Equipment:

10 gallon AGA

Current 80Watt PC hood

Whisper 10-20 HOB filter, no floss or cartridge- used for flow/surface splashdown to prevent surface scum

Sm powerhead in L corner for flow

22 lbs LR

? mix of about 1 inch of dolomite (bottom) and crushed coral on top (gives habitat for pods/stars/worms)

Livestock:

run-of-the-mill pair of oscellaris clowns :)

sixline wrasse

1 emerald crab

1 peppermint shrimp

Unidentified species of snails- self-propagating, best cleaners I've ever had

2 scarlet hermits, 1 red-leg hermit, and one zebra hermit

Lots of mini-bristle starfish

Corals:

purple mushrooms

GSP

GBP

lots of zoas

Kenya tree coral

Capnella coral

neon toadie

plain toadie

anthelia (great clown host)

1 finger leather

1 unidentified leather

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! That's a beautiful tank. It's so nice to see nano tanks with some age. Seems you rarely hear of nanos running for that long. Well done!

purple mushrooms (please don't ever pay for mushrooms- PM me!)

Damn I just paid $10 for a single purple mushroom, lol!

This tank is impressive. It's such a simple set up and it looks fantastic. I feel like a real moron now with all of the problems I've had.

BustytheSnowMaam

Thanks everyone! Yep, working on a bigger tank now- just trying to figure out where to put it.

pm replied... i cant find it in my sent items though so let me know if you got it :D

I got it! :) you have to check the little box if you want it to save to your sent items.

Thats what I call patience..I upgraded from a 29g toa 40 in 2 months haha..I hope the 40 stays up as long as your 10 good luck with the tank upgrade :D

BustytheSnowMaam
Nice! I like the mushroom forest... how many mushrooms did you start with?

Started with a branch that had 5-6 very TINY mushrooms on it- now I have probably over 100 and some of them are 6 inches across at midday. :)

Started with a branch that had 5-6 very TINY mushrooms on it- now I have probably over 100 and some of them are 6 inches across at midday. :)

godly.

Looks great Tasha. ;)

I couldn't see the pictures at work,had to check them out tonight.

And just as I imagined.......beautiful.

Me, too - me, too! I checked it out at work, but couldn't see the pics till I got home just now. That's a really pretty tank, Tasha. Very fertile. And shucks, I got a little bit of it in my tank! *scuffs toe in sand, smiles*

Me, too - me, too! I checked it out at work, but couldn't see the pics till I got home just now. That's a really pretty tank, Tasha. Very fertile. And shucks, I got a little bit of it in my tank! *scuffs toe in sand, smiles*

Do the clowns host in anything? I was wanting to get a pair in my 10g and was thinking of a possible host for them.

BustytheSnowMaam
Do the clowns host in anything? I was wanting to get a pair in my 10g and was thinking of a possible host for them.

ANTHELIA! I can't speak enough about how much my clowns love it. And it doesn't get irritated or retract when the clowns brush up against it. They're always hanging out in there. The only caveat is anthelia grows like a weed and can get all over everything if you don't keep it in check.

Here's a pic:

clownsleeping_01.jpg

godly.

+1 :bowdown:

seriously, i'm in awe. that tank is completely solid with corals from top to bottom, side to side. and clearly HAPPY corals with mature morphologies...

just... WOW.

that gets my vote.

musthaveitall

Looks awesome!! You never hear of a tank this small staying up this long!! Congrats! Is Anthelia related to xenia? I have never heard of it before... YGPM

Clint

BustytheSnowMaam
+1 :bowdown:

seriously, i'm in awe. that tank is completely solid with corals from top to bottom, side to side. and clearly HAPPY corals with mature morphologies...

just... WOW.

that gets my vote.

Thanks Mr. A :)!

Musthaveitall- thanks for the compliments too- yes, I think anthelia is related to xenia, but it's not as sensitive and doesn't pulse. Did you send me a PM?

Archived