Top Shelf Aquatics

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

Nice pix. Only thing I would add is to put a space between each of them like you did with the FTS. IMO that looks better, but that's just my $0.02. It looks like you are making good use of your tripod.

I have a question about the Ricordea. That's a kind of mushroom, right? Does it spread like other mushrooms or is it's growth pattern different? It seems that I frequently see rocks covered in mushrooms, bit most of the Ricordea pictures look like one disk by itself.

thanks,

hank

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried a feather duster a while back, lasted 2 days before he ate the entire thing. It was like candy to mr. pep, some corals they just love to pick at.

I am still waiting for my sun coral to open in the day. I caght a few open last night and fed, this thing needs to open up!

I have a question about the Ricordea. That's a kind of mushroom, right? Does it spread like other mushrooms or is it's growth pattern different? It seems that I frequently see rocks covered in mushrooms, bit most of the Ricordea pictures look like one disk by itself.

thanks,

hank

Yes, ricordea is in the mushroom family and will act very similar. They will create a new coral with a new mouth, then as it grows it will eventually split off right next to the parrent and take hold (most of the time) I have caught a few that didn't tank hold, but glued them down next on ricordea island. I think I have had 3 or 4 new ones total pop out since I put them in the tank. My blue ricordea is splitting at this time.

I am going to hav eto get a new cam. Mine just does not take good pic of the tank. I cant get a good one from a distance but nothing close will focus. Just more money I have GOT to spend on this hobby lolol

Nice pix. Only thing I would add is to put a space between each of them like you did with the FTS. IMO that looks better, but that's just my $0.02. It looks like you are making good use of your tripod.

thanks,

hank

space issues when posting so many pics hit my photo limit faster

I am going to hav eto get a new cam. Mine just does not take good pic of the tank. I cant get a good one from a distance but nothing close will focus. Just more money I have GOT to spend on this hobby lolol

even on macro mode? A lot of these close ups were zoomed in all the way, ISO on 80, tripod really helps stedy the shot. It takes a really nice close up on digital zoom. I think I only used the macro mode for the pic of the clam. The rest were on auto focus and the camera was a good 1.5 feet away from the tank. I only use the maco mode now if taking something close to the glass

Yea it is a cheap Vivatar 5100 cam. I think the problem is that the shutter speed is very slow. I use a tripod but still no luck. If you look at the home page I will post a pic of my tank.

SeeDemTails

Looking good Stevie!

The sd 750 is a great little p & s camera. I have the SD 630, its 6mp little brother.

what kinda of starfish do you have stevie

I think it is an just called an orange common starfish. I picked it up a while back from reefscavengers. He seems to eat enough on its own.

Looking good Stevie!

The sd 750 is a great little p & s camera. I have the SD 630, its 6mp little brother.

thank you. yes, my brother has that camera, both are very nice, I am now a huge fan of Canon. I really would love a SLR, but the $$ really doesn't make sense to just take tank pictures

CarterNichols
I think it is an just called an orange common starfish. I picked it up a while back from reefscavengers. He seems to eat enough on its own.

great, yeah it is the orange sea star, it is the kind i want, how long has he been in the tank?

I bought it September 14, 2007 so pretty much the entire life of my tank. I still worry about it since I don't directly feed it but he must get food somewhere. It has never touched a coral.

SeeDemTails

I have the sd 630 and the Rebel XTI with a 100mm macro lens, and a Sony HDR SR5........I probably use the sony for more still images than my canons, just because it is super easy for macros, but I LOVE my canons.

JimDantin

Question about where you put the Tunze 9002 --

I did the magnet mod and it works great. What I don't understand is where you mounted the skimmer in the chamber -- left-right location, not up-down. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't let it rest against the heater chamber (although that makes it VERY stable), so how and why did you choose your location?

I don't like things to be able to get moved out of position (or get tilted), so I'm thinking about glueing a small spacer to the left side of the skimmer to give it a firm resting point against the heater chamber. I just need to know how much space you have between the skimmer and heater chamber.

Another idea would be to add a couple spacers to the media tower and add a mini-tower between the skimmer and heater chamber. That way everything would stay properly positioned.

Thanks

Jim

Jim, I have my ato float sensor next to the heater chamber along with the tube for the water, then to the right of that is the skimmer, then to the right of that is the new media basket. So from the heater chamber, the skimmer is 2-3" from the heater. The ato and the water hose was there first, so that is why the skimmer went to the right of those. there are pictures of my rear chambers a few pages back, and also earlier in the thread

hope that helped, overall it doesn't matter where you put the skimmer in your tank

Nice Stevie! I love the pic of the blood shrimp with that leather.

Thanks! I am a little worried that the monti is going to mess with the leather, it needs to keep growing upwards

StevieT, The sun polyp looks great! I just purchased one on Thursday. Still not opening yet. How long did it take for yours to start? This morning the polyps on mine were puffy, but not quite open. Your tank is looking GREAT man!

StevieT, The sun polyp looks great! I just purchased one on Thursday. Still not opening yet. How long did it take for yours to start? This morning the polyps on mine were puffy, but not quite open. Your tank is looking GREAT man!

They came in Tuesday, i saw them fully open last night. Some were open Thursday evening but not all of them like yesterday. They are still opening at night, I have to train them to open during the day since I am not here much at night since the tank is at the office.

a good read, lots of input here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=153864&hl=

New bulbs finall came in! I had the orginal ones in for 8 months. I can't believe the difference! It is much brighter, the colors are more vibrant and the corals look much better. I am very impressed. I went with the stock bubs again, I didn't want to fix something that isn't broken.

IMG_4097.jpg

Cleaned off the splash guard, I do this about every month, gets the salt creep off:

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

Much Better!

IMG_4101.jpg

I didn't see any change, I am sure they are happy since it is brighter, no negative effects

RedSeaGal

Hi Steve! Your tank is looking SO good! Mine is almost 7 months old now..and I was just thinking about when I should change the bulbs, where did you buy yours from?

How is the clam doing? I am wanting to get one too, but wasn't sure what kind would do good under the stock lighting.

I am glad to find your thread is still going strong and always updated with more pics! :)

Oh, also...does your firefish stay in the open? I just bought one about a week ago and I have a clown that would not leave him alone, now I haven't seen him for the last 4 days!

Archived