Innovative Marine Aquariums

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

Do you really think it's the best LED on the market? Looks better than the AI stuff, but have you seen the Vertex Illumina? Pretty snazzy, like a more polished version of what you've got. Heard they just started selling them in the states too

I have no idea. But because I have it on my tank it is the best LED on the market

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha fair enough. Oh and not to hijack your thread, but I had a question for you... you ever build anything for a chaeto refugium instead of running the Tunze? I've been thinking about doing a fuge in the back chamber there, probably no substrate or anything, just a simple chaeto factory. What do you think? I suppose if I put in a little 4" piece of glass at the bottom I could put a substrate in too... ever build a media basket to hold chaeto and/or a submersible LED?

Hahaha fair enough. Oh and not to hijack your thread, but I had a question for you... you ever build anything for a chaeto refugium instead of running the Tunze? I've been thinking about doing a fuge in the back chamber there, probably no substrate or anything, just a simple chaeto factory. What do you think? I suppose if I put in a little 4" piece of glass at the bottom I could put a substrate in too... ever build a media basket to hold chaeto and/or a submersible LED?

I have not done this, I personally have never run chaeto. I have been happy with the skimmer and media basket for filtration but I can see this working. Especially if you ditched the skimmer there is tons of room back there.

You ever get a basket going for the 250 Stevie?

The MP 20 is what my 75 needed. Now one on each end I thank you kindly sir for selling it to me. :)

Yeah, you'll need a chiller on the 250, the lighting is pretty freakin bright.

Basket is in the works, probably out early next year need to have one tested out but there is a prototype made.

Thank you for the monies it went straight to blow for the hooker

Very nice tank Stevie. I'm looking into upgrading to LED also from 150w MH. I wish there was some way I could figure out how to fit one of your media racks in my bc29 but the hob overflow takes up too much room. I think I will look into that Radion fixture.

:naughtydance:

Does your wife read these threads? :lol:

I'm smart and not married, why do you think I still can grow inTank and work 14 hrs per day :happy:

Somehow I still have a GF though...

Very nice tank Stevie. I'm looking into upgrading to LED also from 150w MH. I wish there was some way I could figure out how to fit one of your media racks in my bc29 but the hob overflow takes up too much room. I think I will look into that Radion fixture.

Radion is nice if you have the Cash, i'm sure other great options out there.

It looks like your overflow bracket is just too wide otherwise it would fit. Is there a way of cutting that down? Basket is 3.5" wide and the depth of the chamber, but once inside it sits down to about the top of where the water comes in from chamber one.

It's actually been asked quite a bit here and the reason is it was not entirely for coral growth. It was me wanting to tinker and upgrade in the hobby. I had great growth with SPS and my clam up top with the stock lighting.

The MH was hot at times in the summer and bulky so why not get rid of that for an LED? Then why not get the best LED on the market and try that out. I never had a chiller, used a fan controlled by the RKL but now I won't even need that.

Back to Kat- If you think you need to upgrade on this tank you do not. The stock lighting is actually pretty bright. You are limited to 50/50 bulbs and yes many do those LED strips to improve colors and night effects.

Once you go LED there is no way you're putting the stock hood back on and looking at that color pallet ever again.

- just my prediction

Stevie, in conclusion, the stock lights are adequate for SPS but the look of LED's is a better one?

LEDs (or MH) are better for SPS and allow you to keep corals in more locations. But I had good growth with the types of SPS I had up high in the aquarium.

This is what I have right now which will go into the Max, will stock lights be enough?

Red Monti Cap

Hot Pink Stylophora

Neon Green Vermiculata

Bali Green Slimer

Hot Pink Birdsnest thick branch

Yellow Porites

Bird Of Paradise

Pale green Milli

Rainbow Monti

Orange Eye Lepto (requires medium light and flow)

Evil Eye Acan Echinata

Poker Star Monti

ORA Spongodes

ORA Green Birdsnest

Will also be adding more of the "poras".

This is what I have right now which will go into the Max, will stock lights be enough?

Red Monti Cap

Hot Pink Stylophora

Neon Green Vermiculata

Bali Green Slimer

Hot Pink Birdsnest thick branch

Yellow Porites

Bird Of Paradise

Pale green Milli

Rainbow Monti

Orange Eye Lepto (requires medium light and flow)

Evil Eye Acan Echinata

Poker Star Monti

ORA Spongodes

ORA Green Birdsnest

Will also be adding more of the "poras".

Probablemente.

I'm not a coral expert but here is what I can advise, take it as is. Wait, what lighting do you have now?

Red Monti Cap - yes

Hot Pink Stylophora don't know

Neon Green Vermiculata don't know

Bali Green Slimer yes, mine went nuts in the RSM

Hot Pink Birdsnest thick branch yes, med to high

Yellow Porites don't know

Bird Of Paradise don't know

Pale green Milli maybe up high

Rainbow Monti yes

Orange Eye Lepto (requires medium light and flow) yes

Evil Eye Acan Echinata yes

Poker Star Monti yes