inTank Media Baskets

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

Sorry to hear, StevieT. How did it die?

No idea, he was eating and playing around fine one day then we couldn't find him the next. Crab pulled him out into view and I nabbed him up before they could even start to devour. He got skinnier after I moved the tank but was rebounding nicely the past two months so maybe that maybe not. Autopsy waived.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds
No idea, he was eating and playing around fine one day then we couldn't find him the next. Crab pulled him out into view and I nabbed him up before they could even start to devour. He got skinnier after I moved the tank but was rebounding nicely the past two months so maybe that maybe not. Autopsy waived.

I think it a wise decision... he has suffered enough.

Sorry about your finned friend. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Scape looks like ####, IMO.

It's not the scape that bothers me. I actually kinda like it. It's the coralline algae along the back that bothers me to be honest. I would scrape it and it would make everything really pop against the black background. No offense intended, just my honest opinion.

BTW I like how you've kept the rocks really clean. Definitely one of the nicer Maxes I've seen, though mine is still the best. :lol:

EDIT: Some day, when I get the extra cash, my BioCube 29 HQI will have a ricordea island... some day... :rolleyes:

BTW I like how you've kept the rocks really clean.

They only look like that now because of the issues I have had in the past with equipment and co workers. Plus I don't purchase corals to replace anything as of late because I an stupid and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
FLNanoReefer

I just got a Red Mandarin that is from the wild. It is't eating any frozen foods or anything of that nature. Do you have any tips on how to train it? I started a culture of Brine Shrimp last night at 7 P.M. and they haven't hatched yet. How long does it usually take for them to hatch? Any tips or info are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Do a search for it Tennis, there are two good threads on here on how you can train a mandarin to eat frozen. It doesn't work every time though.

You might want to look into culturing tiger pods instead of brine shrimp for your mandarin though. The pods are more nutritious for them.

FLNanoReefer
Do a search for it Tennis, there are two good threads on here on how you can train a mandarin to eat frozen. It doesn't work every time though.

You might want to look into culturing tiger pods instead of brine shrimp for your mandarin though. The pods are more nutritious for them.

I am culturing the Brine Shrimp so that I can try to train him to eat those, then frozen brine, then PE mysis, and then pellet. I already read one thread about them, but I am trying to get as much info as possible.

Also, I added a container of Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods of Sunday. Hopefully they will grow and reproduce while he is in the net breeder.

• 3 weeks later...
olemanwinter

I'm preparing to start a new tank. During a long vacation last year, my tank was neglected by the person who was supposed to look in on it and has declined ever sense. So, I'm going to start from scratch with a RSM.

I will most likely do a 130d.

I have two questions:

1) Do you know if any of the upgrades made to the 130d model (if you are familiar with it at all) alleviated the need for any repairs/upgrades/mods that you did. I.E. skimmer replacement, additional power head, etc.

2) I've read a couple of comments about RSM breakage in your thread. "Hasn't cracked yet?" and "I had mine explode last year". I'm a little bit concerned. Do they have a reputation for breakage? If so, is that still true with new models?

Thanks for your tremendous RSM thread. The company should be paying you $$$.

I have two questions:

1) Do you know if any of the upgrades made to the 130d model (if you are familiar with it at all) alleviated the need for any repairs/upgrades/mods that you did. I.E. skimmer replacement, additional power head, etc.

Honestly no. The upgrades were nice but not really substantial IMO. The skimmer still sucks and most still upgrade to the Tunze 9002. The pumps are still the same but these are not too bad.

I have an upgraded pump kit in the works but unlike other AIO tanks they are far superior. The heater still needs to be changed. The surface skimmer thing was nice, I don't personally use one but I don't have the room either in that area.

There still is no good place for media or filter floss. The tank is still one of the top on my list, way more aesthetic than a biocube etc. You don't need much or have to do it all right away either. You can grow with the tank if you want. If you have the money do it right from the start.

2) I've read a couple of comments about RSM breakage in your thread. "Hasn't cracked yet?" and "I had mine explode last year". I'm a little bit concerned. Do they have a reputation for breakage? If so, is that still true with new models?

Not at all. It is so rare for this to happen but with the internet you hear about the breaks. You don't see thousands of people posting threads, My tank has not cracked yet. This is a very worldwide AIO. Any tank can crack, it is very rare with this one.

Thanks. They did by putting a crappy skimmer in the tank and making you take out the pumps to change the media.

olemanwinter

Thanks. They did by putting a crappy skimmer in the tank and making you take out the pumps to change the media.

Haha.

I am deciding between the 250 now and the Current Solana XL. I like everything about the RSM more except the low-iron glass on the Solana. I like the footprint and the design of the RSM so much more I will probably just do without the better glass.

When I get the RSM I will most definitely buy all your applicable products right out of the gate.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived