Coral Vue Hydros

Uhuru's 16g cube + 40g breeder

Uhuru

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spanko - thanks! :)

mrhat - got the cube used but it was built by Aquatic Systems Design, total dim. are 15x20x16H but a portion of the back has a false wall for the overflow so the display itself is 15x17x16H.

a 100% sps would be nice. I think that aquascape is screaming for a few A. Clathara and Hyacinthus off o the sides and some nice stags in the middle.

tyty and suppressive - sorry guys I'm out of town right now but I will get some shots when I get back home!

here's some skimmer shots though, I love skimmers he he:

DSCN2606.jpg

bored out eheim 1250 meshwheel:

DSCN2598.jpg

Sorry man I've been back a few days now but will try to snap some shots today if I can. I have a midterm tomorrow though so maybe not until tomorrow. :) I switched out my Tru PC actinics for Sunpaq PC dual actinics and it made a HUGE difference. I would say the lighting is almost perfect. I was going to switch out the iwasaki's for a 14k or 20k bulb but not anymore.

I'm procrastinating and don't want to study LOL! So here are some pics:

Iwasaki 15K no supplementation:

DSCN2644.jpg

Iwasaki 15K + Sunpaq dual actinic PC lamps:

DSCN2622.jpg

Ever since adding the ATB skimmer my corals have started to get too pale, so I have increased the bioload in my 40 breeder by adding 3 anthias, which will be fed 3 - 5x's daily:

DSCN2642.jpg

I also added an african flameback angel:

DSCN2625.jpg

All of these fish I got from Diver's Den and were eating WHILE ACCLIMATING in their plastic bags. I really like the quality of fish you get from DD and if it doesn't work out you can't beat their guarantee.

So now for some OT stuff. I wasn't home because I was visiting family in So. Cal. I have a rich cousin with several exotic cars, so he let me borrow his Porsche GT3 while I was there:

DSCN2612.jpg

And here is one of my 4 dogs, his name is "uhuru" hence my screen name. His grandfather's name was "ouro" and was one of the greatest dogs in Brazil.:

IMG_0027.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics and thanks for looking! :D

oh and here's a dual FTS:

DSCN2643.jpg

The TX5 fixture = approx 200 watts (39w x 5 bulbs)

The MH + PC fixture = approx 235 watts (175w MH + 2x28w PC)

I am still a big believer in MH lighting over T5, but I would need closer to 400w of lighting to properly illuminate the 40br with MH, something that I really don't want to do.

oh and here's a dual FTS:

DSCN2643.jpg

Killer how you have those 2 tanks plumbed together. Gives you so many more options with only half the maintenance. Nice job.

The addition of the anthias and angel have added significant load to this system. This is what the cup looks like empty, notice the logo on the OTHER side:

DSCN2545.jpg

There's still more skimmate in the collection cup, but I just poured some into this cup:

DSCN2646.jpg

So there's one problem I'm having with this skimmer. The O-ring is already "flattened." It sits flush into the groove after a while so the fit is no longer as snug as it needs to be to prevent water from seeping through. The material does not lend itself to long term use IMO. If I don't run a bead of silicone grease around it everytime I empty the cup I get a small leak out the neck

The nice thing about the iwasaki is it does best on electronic ballasts (86-87 PPD compared to 71 PPD on standard M57). As far as the ARO brand it's what I had on hand.

• 2 weeks later...

>:(

Your tank(s) make me jealous.

On a side note, since you have much much more experience with the T5's then I do, uhu, how would you light a 48x30x16" tank(with T5s, unless you can figure out something cheaper to maintain using MH)?

HecticDialectics

And while you're answering questions about lighting, what's that T5 bulb combo? I edging toward "like it" but can't decide if its too blue, is it more, less, or about the same blue in person? Looks really crisp either way though, which I like.

Archived