Innovative Marine Aquariums

Uhuru's 16g cube + 40g breeder

Uhuru

FTS of the cube, post dino!! Yes I have finally defeated dinos it kept coming back but I think it's truly gone for good now after 7 weeks of dosing zeovit (fingers crossed). This zeovit stuff really works!

DSCN2434.jpg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how is the flow/noise on that crazy looking overflow? I would assume not bad considering the dursos on the back, but does it sound weird or anything with it being that style?

So how is the flow/noise on that crazy looking overflow? I would assume not bad considering the dursos on the back, but does it sound weird or anything with it being that style?
Maybe if the room was completely silent I'd be able to hear it but not now, it's like a very gentle river. It's a very thin sheet of water that falls into it, works great I highly recommend it to anyone doing a DIY setup. Superior to other methods I have seen besides true calfo style external overflows.
you say fishtank but all I hear is bling. Let me drop by and check your tank out sometimes baller.
You're welcome here anytime you're in Oregon!

DSCN2469.jpg

maybe a little too blue we'll see once I start adding corals. I will probably switch out the iwasaki on the cube to a ushio 20k I've used these before and the color is very nice. I don't think PAR should be a concern on a 16" tall tank.

Well lets hope 2008 is a better year for my corals! Heres what some of them look like now, hopefully by 2009 they will have outgrown my nano tank. (Some of the colors are off I was experimenting with different light settings.)

DSCN2477.jpg

DSCN2481.jpg

Lets hope this guy turns purple for me again.

DSCN2506.jpg

Lets hope this birdsnest grows back all the branches it lost from dinos

DSCN2503.jpg

Wow this setup is looking sweet. I didn't know you were on Nano-Reef too. You should put some updated pics up on the club site as well. Oh and thanks again for the skimmer. I tested it out and couldn't be happier with it so far.

Thanks and glad you like the skimmer. What did you end up getting at upscales that day anyways? For the first time ever I walked out empty handed, there was a little cherub pygmy that I wanted so bad but my tank isn't ready. It was like "just saying no to drugs." I will definitely update my thread on the club site. I forgot to give you the stock air valve (its a POS) but PM me your address on here or PNWMAS and I'll mail it to you just so you have it.

Sorry if I missed it, but how much GPH can that overflow in the 40g breeder handle? Tank looks PRO, btw.

+1. A few more questions about the overflow: What return pump you are using, and what diameter of pipe that is on the overflow? How wide is the slit you cut down the overflow pipe? Is that ABS plumbing you used for the overflow, or is it dyed PVC?

That overflow design is now the most likely candidate for my next reef tank. I just want to be sure I completely understand what you did there to minimize the possibility of screwing it up. I can imagine myself setting it all up, gluing it in place, etc, only to discover that it can't handle the flow I need it to. That would really suck.

Thanks in advance,

- Josh

Thanks and glad you like the skimmer. What did you end up getting at upscales that day anyways? For the first time ever I walked out empty handed, there was a little cherub pygmy that I wanted so bad but my tank isn't ready. It was like "just saying no to drugs." I will definitely update my thread on the club site. I forgot to give you the stock air valve (its a POS) but PM me your address on here or PNWMAS and I'll mail it to you just so you have it.

I just bought frag plugs for some acans that need fragging. Upscales has some nice stuff and its way too easy to spend a lot of money there. I saw that little angel too but i really liked the flameback that was next to it. PMed you my address. Good luck with the tank.

Greenstar and SPS20 -

The overflow is made from 1" pipe so I would say it can handle about 400 gph safely. I am using and eheim 1250 and after headloss I'm guessing I flow about 200 gph through there and can see that it could definitely handle twice as much. You can use 1.5" pipe or even 2" pipe if you want and reduce it down to 1" at the elbows because each drain only needs to handle 1/2 of that flow.

I cut the slit using a dremel it's about 3/16" wide. If you look at the picture you can see that it has plenty of room for water to flow into. I could not be happier with the functionality of this easy DIY job. Once you see yours in action you'll see what I mean.

I used standard white PVC and painted it black with krylon fusion. It was just easier for me that way.

• 2 weeks later...

no that's where I'm from but I'm up here in Oregon trying to get into vet school :) I'm also applying to Western down in Pomona so maybe I can move back, I miss my Pho!

new ATB is breaking in nicely:

DSCN2538.jpg

Gyre Flow, well sort of

I've been meaning to take pictures of my "gyre type" setup for a while and finally got around to it. The 3 powerheads are always on, the HK3 on the left helps to "pull" the flow from the modded nanostreams then pushes it behind the rocks and back to the nanostreams. I have found this to work much better than just 1 powerhead blowing in 1 direction, than another blowing in the opposite direction alternately because you don't get as good of a circular motion going. Ideally I would have the same setup blowing in the opposite direction and alternate that, but that would be too many powerheads. I may add one more koralia and have it blow in the opposite direction like 10 minutes every 3 hours and have the other powerheads turn off, but we'll see how the corals do with the setup as it is now. I believe for this sized tank I am pushing enough water mass that there is enough deflection on the walls to hit the corals from all angles, just that one side will get hit much harder than the rest.

DSCN2574.jpg

DSCN2577.jpg

oh BTW the fish absolutely love the gyre flow. I see my flame hawk surfing the "wave" and literally circling the tank throughout the day. My mystery wrasse likes to swim against it and then let go and let it push him to the other end of the tank as well.

drooling over your skimmer.....

this skimmer is freaking bad ass. I will take pics of the skimmate it is collecting after the cup fills up. I was running the BK for a while on this tank and thought "man this BK kicks butt" well this ATB is even better, mainly because it can skim drier (darker).

Archived