Coral Vue Hydros

Uhuru's 16g cube + 40g breeder

Uhuru

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tank is nice, it has some bubbles in one of the seams though. The OG owner says this is normal for nano tanks? Everyone says Aquatics System Design is top notch. I can say that my Envision Acrylics tank is on another level. Or two. Not one bubble anywhere, totally flawless. So maybe I'm spoiled.... it's still a very nice tank, not like anything you would find mass produced.

mushroom head

Hey! I remember that tank from reefcentral. How many inches long is the overflow side? Thanks.... Cody

wow that is some thick acrylic... half inch?

cant wait to see it set up, what SPS are you planning on keeping? will it be a show piece or smaller frags?

hey post some pics of that sick a$$ fixture you got and what you are using it for!

I'm still deciding between the sfiligoi infiniti or giesemann spectra for my big cube

btw 175w iwasaki = 250w PAR but without the added wattage and heat

Hey! I remember that tank from reefcentral. How many inches long is the overflow side? Thanks.... Cody

overflow side is 8", it was designed to fit a tunze nano skimmer - but the tunze skimmer is not aggressive enough for a BB tank so I will be drilling a couple holes and adding a 10g sump in order to house a more suitable one. I'm a little scared to drill 3/4" acrylic though. I may take it to the acrylic shop by my house if they don't charge an arm and a leg.

wow that is some thick acrylic... half inch?

cant wait to see it set up, what SPS are you planning on keeping? will it be a show piece or smaller frags?

it's 3/4"! I plan to keep mostly smaller frags, but I want to leave a lot of open space so they can really grow. This tank is my inspiration:

FTS-1.jpg

why dont you think the tunze nano can keep up with a 16g BB tank?

and why did you go so thick on the acrylic? i bet that tank cost you an arm and a leg... but damn is it ever pretty, and all i can see is the rim

The design philosophy of the tunze doc skimmers is to allow the water to diffuse into the chamber, allowing for more "gentle" skimming which is great for maintaining pods and different forms of plankton. For a BB system particles are kept circulating in the water (and off the floor) so that the skimmer can actually filter them out. Ideally the skimmer is fed directly from the overflow drain, but that would only work with a recirc skimmer. Some of the most successful BB systems don't use any other form of filtration, not even socks or pads, just big powerful skimmers and regular maintenance of the sump. The one pictured above I believe uses a RDSB though.

*exceptions to this are the new tunze master doc skimmers, which are more conventional needlewheel style skimmers - I think they use sicce pumps and are supposed to kick butt.

9480.jpg

go with the sfiligoi, their reflector is better (lumenmax style) vs giesemann's parabolic . but for the better spread, the profile is much much much larger

DSC_4535.jpg

this picture's photobucket will give you better views of the reflector, trace the link back.

Imma post my tank up in a few days

btw, I thought only the saki 6.5k were extremely high par. Looks like you're using the 15k bulb. I wonder what the par is on that.

Iwasaki is an underrated brand though. Im going to get their 50k bulb, I heard that thing rocks hard (14k in color)

Hi Uhuru,

I love the picture of this tank. What is the dimension of that tank and is there a link for it that i can look at.

Thanks

hey post some pics of that sick a$$ fixture you got and what you are using it for!

I'm still deciding between the sfiligoi infiniti or giesemann spectra for my big cube

btw 175w iwasaki = 250w PAR but without the added wattage and heat

overflow side is 8", it was designed to fit a tunze nano skimmer - but the tunze skimmer is not aggressive enough for a BB tank so I will be drilling a couple holes and adding a 10g sump in order to house a more suitable one. I'm a little scared to drill 3/4" acrylic though. I may take it to the acrylic shop by my house if they don't charge an arm and a leg.

it's 3/4"! I plan to keep mostly smaller frags, but I want to leave a lot of open space so they can really grow. This tank is my inspiration:

FTS-1.jpg

Thanks for the link supernip,

I saw the pictures, it was beautiful. However i still look for the dimension of the tank. can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know? please tell me..

Thanks

btw, I thought only the saki 6.5k were extremely high par. Looks like you're using the 15k bulb. I wonder what the par is on that.

Iwasaki is an underrated brand though. Im going to get their 50k bulb, I heard that thing rocks hard (14k in color)

Well the 15k's aren't gonna blow a 250w 10K out of the water but they will blow any 175w 10K away as well as many 250w 14k lamps. I heard about them first from Maeda here and did some research and everyone that uses these lamps loves them. Only thing is I would never use them without actinic supp. because they burn like a 10K (bright white).

Hi Uhuru,

I love the picture of this tank. What is the dimension of that tank and is there a link for it that i can look at.

Thanks

Here is a link to the owner's build thread - it's very long so I don't know if he tells dimensions or not, but you can always contact him and ask, he seems to be very good about responding.

here

link 1 sometimes you just gotta right click.

link 2 this one is for uhuru, shows close up's, and detail pictures of the sfiligoi infinity rx

DSC_3906.jpg?t=1184770978

I'm going to get a price quote from AO since they are the only distributor of this product in the US now. I've been asking questions about the unit and it sounds pretty good. I had read of people having problems with the infiniti series but it seems they are now using Ice Cap ballasts for US models because of this. Only thing is my Aquaconnect bulb will run like crap on an e-ballast, which means I'd have to spend more money on a different bulb, and the unit itself is already like $300 more than the Giesemann one.

Here is a shot of the G-man unit, it's about 4" more narrow than the Sfiligoi:

100bs9.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...84#post10368984

after reading this thread I'm really hesitant to get the sfiligoi - the fact that they aren't replacing this guy's fixture and keep sending him fuses that blow is unacceptable

I believe with only 1 small distributor in the US and a very small customer base, they don't really feel the pressure (or don't care) to take care of their customers the way a company like Giesemann would.

Anyways this discussion belongs in my 70g thread LOL.

grave news indeed, especially for me. =(

go giesemann then. their reflector design doesn't seem as good but with the size tank we keep I figured it'd be a moot point.

someday, I'll get the giesemann infiniti in gunmetal gray. it's so slick

reef fish are actually okay with the flow, considerig their natural environment gets plenty of it.

I guess if you had really strong concentrated flow that could be a problem. I have strong flow, but very dispersed and my fish actually like it

Archived