Cultivated Reef

Uhuru's 16g cube + 40g breeder

Uhuru

I have 2 nanostreams and 1 koralia1 on this tank. The 2 nanostreams are directed at the bottom and under the rocks. I also have 3 small zoa colonies and 1 small RPE colony on the bottom so they probably get even more flow than the sps right now. They don't mind at all and in fact are already starting to spread. I love the fact that I can actually see them eat the bits of food that the fish don't catch. My goal is to have them grow onto the exposed PVC that I used for the rock racks as well as the bare bottom.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my 10g (sps and clam) is also bb. my future plan is to have only sps, clam and palys. the mod-ed tunze is probably pushing close to 300gph now and all corals are loving it. i am not worry about the sps and clam, i just don't want me palys to upset if i decided to go with a nano stream. looks they should be fine. so the smallest nano stream is pushing 600? how strong is it actually?

the bottom of my tank is covering with coralline and i am loving it :)

yeah stock nanostream I think is 650, but I've read it is underrated and actually pushing closer to 750. With a simple mod you can get 1200 out of it, but I haven't felt the need to do that (yet).

For a 10g tank even at 750gph you should be fine. In my 5g tank, it wasn't until I pushed it up to 140x's turnover that I started to lose some of my zoas.

yeah stock nanostream I think is 650, but I've read it is underrated and actually pushing closer to 750. With a simple mod you can get 1200 out of it, but I haven't felt the need to do that (yet).

MOD THOSE NANOSTREAMS!

I love that color! Crap! I need to spend more money on actinic. :/

Thanks! I just got this new "mighty magnet" algae cleaner, wow this thing is powerful. One swipe and it completely wipes off any algae. It is so strong that it knocked my frag rack off of it's own magnets (which are very strong magnets), and my new frags flew all over the place. One went into a colony of zoas. One scraped against the acrylic wall and, you guessed it, left a couple of ugly scratches.

I hope to mount the frags into their permanent spots this weekend then I'll take some new shots.

Nice frags! I was at the CFM and I think that you bought the pokerstar literally right before I walked over there to buy it. :P Oh well I got some good frags from there too.

Also:

FTS! :D

Finally got some batteries, and stayed up all night mounting the frags and trying to figure out why I couldn't get my eheim return pump to restart. I had to manually restart it by spinning the impeller while the pump was on and then putting the cover on while it was spinning. Not the safest thing to do.

I also modded both the nanostreams - holy shiit this mod really works. Before I still had the heavy snail poop settling in one part of the tank, now NOTHING settles at all. It's so awesome. The fish poop circulates in the water column feeding the corals and eventually drains into the sump where it gets extracted by the skimmer. Now I see why so many SPS lovers preach BB. It's brilliant!

Well here are the pics, nothing too exciting yet but it's nice not to have an overcrowded tank so I can sit back and let the corals do the aquascaping for me.

DSCN2196.jpg

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2179.jpg

DSCN2180.jpg

you know rimless tanks are getting really popular with rc's large reef crowd. I wouldn't be suprised to hear some horror stories coming up.

It wouldn't happen to yours cause that thing is a tank, but Im just saying. Watch out for the rc backlash against rimless tanks

Man some of those tanks are just crazy. 300g rimless? I'd be losing sleep everytime I heard the slightest noise at night. I hear the silicone they use for the super expensive ones are like 10x's stronger than what standard tanks have though.

I dunno if I can trust that claim. silicon is silicon. It couldn't be that much stronger. What I'd be more worried about is that the north american tank makers are not as familiar with rimless tanks as their overseas counterparts.

So ya, if it's a nano, ok. 300+ (I think I saw up to like 500?), and I'd crap my pants

Man uhuru this is shaping up to be awesome!!!!

Now get on to feeding so that pink lemonade can find its way into my tank. :D

I dunno if I can trust that claim. silicon is silicon. It couldn't be that much stronger. What I'd be more worried about is that the north american tank makers are not as familiar with rimless tanks as their overseas counterparts.

GE makes a really high grade silicon just for adhesion strength. PM me if you wanna try it out.

thanks for the compliments! This tank is still just a newborn, give it another year or so I hope it will blow your mind!

I have some new fish coming in tomorrow. I'll post pics once they get settled.

My new fish arrived yesterday:

DSCN2209.jpg

I know, everyone has a pair of clowns, but I got these true percs directly from the breeder, and I'll probably do it again for my 70g.

Next are just some pics of the same stuff you've seen, but I guess because I stare at them so much every little change is like a big change to me.Some of my corals that were in my previous 5g tank are really showing improvement since the transfer and bad carbon disaster. I'm having trouble keeping up with the calc/alk demands and will probably get a CA Rx soon. The growth I'm getting out of this tabling acro is amazing. And check out the purple tips. Never seen that before.

DSCN2226.jpg

My pink birdsnest 1 week ago:

DSCN2156.jpg

today:

DSCN2227.jpg

My RPEs, which started out as 3 have quadrupled:

DSCN2234.jpg

Another ORA GGB shot, I still can't get my camera to do the green color on this guy justice:

DSCN2230.jpg

And finally just some mad PE shots:

DSCN2229.jpg

DSCN2231.jpg

Okay I lied, one more, I love watching the skimmer just as much as the rest of the tank - this is after 2 days of skimming" - I have only 3 fish but I feed like crazy:

DSCN2248.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

me too, I'd like to get some PPE's to go with my RPE's. The grow very fast as far as I have experienced. I think it helps if you feed them a lot too. Mine eat 2x's a day along with the fish. Yesterday I noticed at least 2 more new heads. Pretty soon they will either have to stop growing or spread onto the PVC/starboard. I hope it's the latter!

Archived