Pod Your Reef

Uhuru's 16g cube + 40g breeder

Uhuru

I got boo'ed over at RC for not posting enough tank pics so I took a new FTS this morning and framed it all pretty:

DSCN2269.jpg

and a couple shots of inhabitants you have not seen yet:

DSCN2297.jpg

DSCN2292.jpg

I'm starting to get some coral encrusting on the starboard... nice!

DSCN2271.jpg

Hope you like them!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the compliment. yes, the eggcrate is to allow for the flow to keep anything from settling on the bottom and polluting the tank. Eventually, it will be covered in coralline. Once it's covered in coralline, the zoos will be more likely to grow onto it. And no, nothing in the tank has a problem with the flow, actually it's quite the opposite. I have found that some zoas can't handle the flow though, and some rics would be very unhappy as well.

Rimless tanks: Really this is limited to silicone's grip to glass. My LFS has a 500 gallon- Euro braced tank- the owner is from Chinatown, but I am still uneasy about it- he even pushes on the glass to prove how solid it is... I don't go within a few feet of it!

Awesome tank! Great job! I've been seeing a lot of posts on this thread about "BB". Just wondering what that stood for.
Thanks. BB stands for bare bottom, i.e. no sand. A lot of people run BB tanks because it's easier to maintain in the long run. It's especially well suited for SPS corals because of the high flow and very low nutrient water. It's also very quick to let you know if something goes wrong in your tank. There is a lot to learn about doing it successfully and I'm still adjusting my system as I go along.
did you switch your bulb color or add actinic. I liked the old color better, just my opinion.
No that shot is with actinics only. I'm not a big fan of actinics only photos either but I thought it would give a better idea of all the corals that are in the tank. Sometimes with all the frags it's hard to distinguish what is what.I'm surprised no one caught the longnose hawkfish in the photo - or if they did no one is giving me crap about it LOL.This is the coolest fish ever:

_MG_2624.jpg

I think he killed my emerald and my hermit crab though. He really does strike like a hawk. To the fish police don't worry if he gets too big I will move him to my 70g.

Thanks. BB stands for bare bottom, i.e. no sand. A lot of people run BB tanks because it's easier to maintain in the long run. It's especially well suited for SPS corals because of the high flow and very low nutrient water. It's also very quick to let you know if something goes wrong in your tank. There is a lot to learn about doing it successfully and I'm still adjusting my system as I go along.

Sweet! Thanks for the info! I plan on starting a 20 gallon nano reef myself and need all the help I can get! lol

I require an update uhuru! ;)

Looks to me like you have a glass eyed cardinal?

My tank is recovering from a near crash right now. I am not sure how everything bad happened at the same time, but I had my return pump + 2 tunze nano pumps die on me. Maybe the power went out and caused something, I don't know, but my return pump (a new eheim 1250) is hooked up to a battery backup so this should not have affected it. Anyways I was already fighting some cyano from 2 dead crabs which my hawkfish probably killed and I didn't notice - and this just escalated the cyano out of control. Of course I was gone for the whole day as well. My birds nests were literally covered in cyano and it extended all the way up to the top of the tank. Gnarliest thing ever. On top of that my skimmer was leaking so I couldn't skim worth crap, turns out I just had to replace a bad O-ring for $1 at the auto parts store.

I took this opportunity to take everything out of the tank and pull out the starboard, which I believed was a major part of the problem trapping waste along the edges and underneath. My suspicions were true, it was a bed of waste underneath! The tank is recovering VERY fast though, I did not lose anything just a few ####ed off corals and lost tissue but I think they will recover. That's the update.

No I don't have a glass eyed cardinal, just an orange striped cardinal. They are pretty aggressive actually, I used to have 2 and the dominant one killed the other one. Then it started going after my clowns. But once I added the hawkfish, order was restored, and the cardinal was knocked off the throne.

That sucks!

Good to hear it's bouncing back fast.

I'm setting up a new BB and have always been a bit skeptical of starboard on the bottom. I wasn't planning on putting any in. Is the reasoning for a reflective surface and protection of the acrylic?

Damn dude sorry to hear about your tank issues. but im sure it'll pull through. hope school is going well man let me know when your coming up to p-tpwn i just moved into a new place and moved my tanks today. we'll see how they fare.

Sorry to hear about the near crash of this sweet tank. Glad to hear that it was all things that could be fixed and all the corals are just p*ssed, not lost.

That sucks!Good to hear it's bouncing back fast.I'm setting up a new BB and have always been a bit skeptical of starboard on the bottom. I wasn't planning on putting any in. Is the reasoning for a reflective surface and protection of the acrylic?
I did it purely for aesthetic reasons, which made it an even dumber choice on my part.
Damn dude sorry to hear about your tank issues. but im sure it'll pull through. hope school is going well man let me know when your coming up to p-tpwn i just moved into a new place and moved my tanks today. we'll see how they fare.
Congrats on the new place, are you upgrading to a bigger tank to fit all those corals or what??
Sorry to hear about the near crash of this sweet tank. Glad to hear that it was all things that could be fixed and all the corals are just p*ssed, not lost.

Cyano is one opportunistic microbe, figures since it's been around since the beginning of life or something like that. What I've noticed is that the sps that are most capable of producing slime are able to keep the cyano off without any problems. My bali green slimer was not even touched! Other sps (like the seriatopora) with all the pointy branches and turaki with the smooth texture and delicate tissue are very vulnerable to being suffocated by the cyano.

Yikes. Sounds like you have things undercontrol now, and thats good.

I just tried using a battery backup and found that it DIDN'T DO CRAP.

It puts out a square sin wave, and thus doesn't work with any of the pumps I tried.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived