Innovative Marine Aquariums

Avalanche's Aquapod Reef

avalanche1201

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
avalanche1201

UPDATE!

so my friends g/f took her zoa frag back :( but she let me split the rock so I still have a nice 3polyp colony (the smaller one was 2 polyps when i first got it...so already good sign)

I also have an aptaisia problem going on...I want to get rid of it w/o a peppermint shrimp...and I have heard mixed emotions on Joes juice...any other suggestions?

anyways now for some pics.

GSP

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Monti Caps

IMG_0236.jpg

FTS

IMG_0233.jpg

I think the tank is coming along nicely...wish I had more money so it could fill it faster but hey, im a college student cant afford to much so o well.

those lobsters look awsome! I say go for it.

hope that zoa frag will recover. Nice colors on them.

thanks. I really want that lobster, he will be real cool when I get him. I hope the zoa recovers as well. It feel off the rock it was attached to...so hopefully it will come back and grow

I also have an aptaisia problem going on...I want to get rid of it w/o a peppermint shrimp...and I have heard mixed emotions on Joes juice...any other suggestions?

Well, peppermint shrimp are hit or miss too whether or not they will actually eat the aptaisia. I tried a couple and they got rid of mine.

Other methods of getting rid of them:

Lemon Juice

Kalkwasser paste

Boiling Water?

All injected into their mouth with a syringe. Personally I tried all but boiling water and they just came back, peppermint shrimp took care of it over night.

But tank is looking good, make sure thats where you want your GSP because that stuff grows like a weed and will soon overtake that whole rock.

I use the kalwasser method.

I have to kill aptasia about every other week.

I simply take Kalwasser power, mix with a little tank water, MAKE A VERY STRONG SOLUTION - DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, take a syringe and blast the aptasia with it. The aptasia then shrinks up - absorbing the concentrated kalwasser solution. The the aptasia is dead, dead I say! I use very very little of this solution at a time. I then just dump the extra solution down the drain, not into my tank.

Then little brittle stars come out of their hiddy holes and eat the dead aptasia, so cool.

I use the kalwasser method.

I have to kill aptasia about every other week.

I simply take Kalwasser power, mix with a little tank water, MAKE A VERY STRONG SOLUTION - DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, take a syringe and blast the aptasia with it. The aptasia then shrinks up - absorbing the concentrated kalwasser solution. The the aptasia is dead, dead I say! I use very very little of this solution at a time. I then just dump the extra solution down the drain, not into my tank.

Then little brittle stars come out of their hiddy holes and eat the dead aptasia, so cool.

Tried this method a few times, they shrivel up etc.. and are not seen for a few days then suddenly they are back. I bury them in this paste too lol.

avalanche1201
Well, peppermint shrimp are hit or miss too whether or not they will actually eat the aptaisia. I tried a couple and they got rid of mine.

Other methods of getting rid of them:

Lemon Juice

Kalkwasser paste

Boiling Water?

All injected into their mouth with a syringe. Personally I tried all but boiling water and they just came back, peppermint shrimp took care of it over night.

But tank is looking good, make sure thats where you want your GSP because that stuff grows like a weed and will soon overtake that whole rock.

Well seeing as I don't have kalkwasser, or joes juice...and the nearest LFS is a good 30min walk or so and I've got rugby I think I'm going to give the boiling water method a try and let everyone know how it goes

if it doesn't work...off the LFS I'll go

avalanche1201

Tonight I will be trying to take out the aptaisia with the boiling water method...Ill get a before and after pic

I added a small candy cane from my 3gal tank into the 24..it wasn't doing so hot in the little tank...heads were shrinking, it would always fall over etc...so I added it to the tank hoping it can come back strong.

IMG_0246.jpg

just curious why dont you want a Peppermint shrimp.?.. it cleared all my app up in 2days.. they are very peaceful and get the job done... just make sure you get a wild caught pepp.. if you get a tank bred they wont eat the apitasia.

avalanche1201

I don't want a pep b/c I have heard that they will eat polyps and I dont really want to risk that right now. I will also be getting a lobster soon...so I don't want a possible conflict..but if all else fails I will give it a shot

avalanche1201

so I tried the boiling water method and so far I think it worked great.

Before (on the left):

IMG_0233.jpg

after:

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

in the next few days I'll know more about how well it worked...but I hope it works

Haha, doesn't look like it enjoyed that ;) I'm going to try out the kalkwasser method on one I got on a frag. There are other polyps etc... around it and I think the boiling water would get to them.

avalanche1201
Haha, doesn't look like it enjoyed that ;) I'm going to try out the kalkwasser method on one I got on a frag. There are other polyps etc... around it and I think the boiling water would get to them.

no it didn't...but i did :)

best part about this method...if it doesn't work it was free to try

avalanche1201

So the boiling water seems to have worked alright. The one in the ball of cheato algae looks like its gone...the one on the left however, seems to be coming back. I think its because it's in a spot in the tank I can't get syringe to easily...so tonight I will try to add some flex tubing in the end to get a good shot at the thing...Ill let everyone know how it goes

• 2 weeks later...
avalanche1201

So after staring at the damn aptaisia for since whenever the last effort to get rid of it was I finally got some flex tubing. My roommate and I boiled the hell of them tonight, I believe we got them tonight. We shall find out but I feel it was more successful this time then the last because we could get a direct hit.

Also I will soon be fragging out some of the zoos from my 3gal to add some stuff to my 24..so that should be pretty sweet

avalanche1201

Alright...so my batteries have been dead and someone stole my other two rechargeables so hopefully I can get some pictures soon. I set up a frag rack so I can starttrying to frag some zoas....hopefully all will go well and I will try to get some pictures soon

the boiling water method, although a lot of fun I dont think it works very well...b/c one of the aptasia in the cheato algae is starting to grow again...I'm not sure if I want to go w/ Joe's juice or a pep shrimp for my next try...might go joe's b/c I want to get a lobster and don't want conflict.

avalanche1201

So I helped out w/ my CUC a little bit today. My roommate and his girlfriend went to the LFS and got me some stuff

CUC additions

2 margarita Snails

2 Astraea Conehead Snail

2 zebra hermits

5 red tip hermits

5 blue leg hermits

I also got 2 zoo frags...still looking for those batteries so hopefully I can get some pictures up soon

avalanche1201

So I have noticed some more aptasia, going to get joes or a peppermint today at the LFS....also did my first WC and my clown was to curious and got sucked into the tube.....thank god it was big enough for her to get through....also found my batteries, pics to come after the LFS adventure

So I have noticed some more aptasia, going to get joes or a peppermint today at the LFS....also did my first WC and my clown was to curious and got sucked into the tube.....thank god it was big enough for her to get through....also found my batteries, pics to come after the LFS adventure

LOL at the clown getting sucked up, glad she is ok though! Hopefully the peppermint works out for you, just make sure its really a peppermint.

avalanche1201

yea got 4 peppermints....they better eat the aptasia and not everything else.

I wanted to get some pics today but I dont have time...Ill get them ASAP

o yea, I also picked up a red hi fin goby....hope he doesnt get beat up to bad by the clowns

yea got 4 peppermints....they better eat the aptasia and not everything else.

I wanted to get some pics today but I dont have time...Ill get them ASAP

o yea, I also picked up a red hi fin goby....hope he doesnt get beat up to bad by the clowns

Are your clowns aggressive towards other tank mates? Mine pay no mind to the gobies... My YCG hangs out right with them sometimes and they are fine. Now towards others of their species, thats a while different story lol. I have made some changes to my tank, I will update my thread with info and pictures Monday. I have some new residents =D

avalanche1201
Are your clowns aggressive towards other tank mates? Mine pay no mind to the gobies... My YCG hangs out right with them sometimes and they are fine. Now towards others of their species, thats a while different story lol. I have made some changes to my tank, I will update my thread with info and pictures Monday. I have some new residents =D

awesome, cant wait to check it out

as for the clowns...the other tank mates are well....none so we shall find out. I promise pics ASAP

avalanche1201

THE PISTOL IS ALIVE!!!!! THE RED HI FIN AND THE SHRIMP HAVE PAIRED!!!! AWESOME!!!

ill try to get pictures of them...ill get pictures of other things tonight....O man, im stoked! I thought for sure he was long gone

edit: hope they become more active now that they are paired

THE PISTOL IS ALIVE!!!!! THE RED HI FIN AND THE SHRIMP HAVE PAIRED!!!! AWESOME!!!

ill try to get pictures of them...ill get pictures of other things tonight....O man, im stoked! I thought for sure he was long gone

edit: hope they become more active now that they are paired

Thats great that he's still alive!!! Enjoy them messing up your tank hahaha.

avalanche1201

eh its alright...the future purple lobster will put him in place....PICTURE TIME!!!! and by picture time i mean im taking them now

Archived