avalanche1201

Avalanche's Aquapod Reef

avalanche1201

Got my first coral today...Its a brain Coral, actually a rescue brain coral from my g/f's parents 72 bow. I dont think it was getting enough light, or stable enough SG levels, and maybe lacking some Calcium as well....anyways I took it into my care and its the only thing in my tank besides hitch hiker zoas and 2 turbos I put in there for the glass

This is when I first got it:

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

looks pretty bad I know. I need to get some Calcium Test kits so I can keep the levels up, but even w/o that right now its starting to look better...Im hoping I can save this guy, Im also going to make a "Lunar Lander" so I can spot feed him when his tentacles are out...but what exactly does "out" look like? pics appreciated

Thanks for the help, enjoy

-Avalanche

avalanche1201

***NEW HITCHHIKER!!***

I was looking into my tank and saw what I believed to be a molt of a shrimp. Closer look and its a Pistol Shrimp. Its lacking a ton of color but I hope it can come back with some proper care and time. I also took some pics of my hitchhiker zoas

Pistol Shrimp :D

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

And my Zoas

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

anybody have some good suggestions for what I should get for my new pistol shrimp?

Mitch529

IDK about that open brain... it looks like a skeleton from the pictures, does it have any flesh on it at all, or does it smell?

This is what one should look like, fleshy no skeleton.

openbraincoralyf2.jpg

avalanche1201

IDK if its an open brain just know its a brain. But there is flesh left on it, its getting more color as the days roll on, but there are some parts that are the skeleton, im hoping it can turn around

Mitch529
IDK if its an open brain just know its a brain. But there is flesh left on it, its getting more color as the days roll on, but there are some parts that are the skeleton, im hoping it can turn around

Well it definitely looks like an open brain, just keep an eye on it... I think there was a post a while back from someone who got an open brain shipped to them and it looked in bad shape with skeleton etc... showing and it almost crashed their tank.

But otherwise the tank is looking good! Try feeding the pistol mysis or some Cyclop-Eeze he looks pretty small.

avalanche1201

As of right now I only have one food. I think its frozen brine, I dont really feed with it though b/c my 3gal pico sustains itself, my little goby in there is always picking at pods....guess its time for a trip to the LFS to get some variety :)

I've been watching the brain, he puffs up much more then when I first got him, but any suggestions to help the recovery? He's under 70w MH. Im thinking dosing w/ calcium would that help?

Mitch529

Well, I haven't owned an openbrain myself though it will be a near future purchase ;) But I have read some about them. I searched around for some pictures that look kind of like yours, but its hard to tell maybe a Lobophyllia hemprichii? You could try feeding it some of the brine shrimp, usually they will extend their feeder tentacles at night, try melting the brine in some tank water and take a bit of it and squish the juice out over it with the pumps off. That may entice it to extend the tentacles and you can drop some of the shrimp on it.

As for your lighting, what kind of lights was it under before. You might want to be careful that the MH isn't too much light if it was hardly getting any before.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it does!

Edit: Oh and no you shouldn't need to dose calcium with just that coral in your tank, as long as you do a weekly water change you should be fine for now. Remember don't ever dose anything unless your testing for it.

Edited by Mitch529

avalanche1201

yea I know, if I was going to dose I was going to get a calcium test kit. Ill try to feed it some shrimp. It was under PC's before but as soon as I put it in the tank it started looking better. It puffs up a lot more so I hope something is going right.

Mitch529

Thats good, he should be on the road to recovery then! All of the open brains I have researched should have at least moderate to high lighting, so it should really appreciate the change from PC to MH.

avalanche1201

***UPDATE***

So today I checked out a new LFS in Boston...Its called Skiptons and its a really nice place, knowledgeable staff as well.

Anyways I picked up some stuff. I got 4 Scarlet Hermits, 3 Nassarius snails, 3 cerith snails, and 2 Occelaris Clown fish.

I have also redone the aquascape and I love it. Pics to come tonight!

avalanche1201

New Nass cleaning out a dead turbo shell

snail.jpg

Brain closeup (it is getting better)

brain.jpg

My new clowns :)

clown3.jpg

clown2.jpg

clown.jpg

Purple Zoas (hitchhiker)

purple.jpg

New Green Frag

greens.jpg

FTS

fts.jpg

edit: Parameters from today

pH - 8.6

Alk - 8

Ca - 350

NH3 - 0

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 5

I dosed alkalinity to bring it up just a little bit, tomorrow I will be dosing Ca to bring that up as well

Edited by avalanche1201

nanu-nanu

Lookin good

Some progress comin along!

avalanche1201

thanks :) Im really happy with it. I love how the rock layout is. I was going to get a red scooter blenny but the women at the LFS talked me out of it b/c they are mainly pod eaters, and having one would be to hard for this tank.

I was impressed w/ that b/c instead of making the sale and screwing me over she helped me make a smart decision. So i got my clowns instead :)

aquav

Fun to watch what you are doing with it. We just got the same tank yesterday, not free though.......

So I am following your posts to see how it's going for you and maybe get some ideas myself, thanks for posting so much. BTW, I thought about getting that refractometer from drf&s. Do you like it?

AquaV

avalanche1201
Fun to watch what you are doing with it. We just got the same tank yesterday, not free though.......

So I am following your posts to see how it's going for you and maybe get some ideas myself, thanks for posting so much. BTW, I thought about getting that refractometer from drf&s. Do you like it?

AquaV

getting ideas from me? Awesome :) I've always wanted to be a tank where people get some ideas B)

and yea i love that refractometer...its SO easy to get the SG...i'd recommend it

avalanche1201

Holding onto my Roommates Plate Coral..here it is

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

SbCaes

maybe not such a good idea to keep the brain and the plate so close. looks like a fungia?

Charlie97L
Holding onto my Roommates Plate Coral..here it is

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

looks good!

move that plate coral now!! if it's touching the brain, it's stinging the brain. i had a plate coral kill a few colonies, as it is capable of limited movement across the substrate, and has a pretty good sting.

also, just FYI, from earlier in the thread, calcium won't help an ailing coral, it's not medicine, it just helps them grow, which in that state, your brain won't be doing. something like your brian, the only things that will really help it are stable water, target feeding, and good light.

if there is algae on the skeleton, as i see, i don't know that it will fully recover, i'm not sure they can re-extedn once that happens. i had a similar thing happen to one of mine, after a galaxia came loose and fell on it.

Edited by Charlie97L

avalanche1201

I tried moving that rock in the front right corner a bit to make a platform for the brain. I dont like how big of a rock its on though, but I guess Ill have to deal so it doesnt get any worse due to the sting of the plate coral. Thanks for the info guys :)

I am also holding onto some green zoos and pulsing xenia I need to try to get some pics of

avalanche1201

Moved the brain coral as suggested (thanks SB and charlie) as well as got a shot of the new xenia and the green zoos

Xenia (green zoas on the right, real small):

IMG_0179.jpg

New FTS:

IMG_0191.jpg

avalanche1201

So after a night out at cheers (the one the sitcom is after) and after seeing the red sox come back after being down 8-1 and end up crushing the devil rays I come back to my clowns "sleeping" together. I hope this is a good sign of things to come

IMG_0204-1.jpg

Edited by avalanche1201

avalanche1201

After some thinking for livestock I have come up with the following

CUC:

4 more Scarlet Reef Hermits

4 More Nass

4 more Cerith

Inverts:

Blood Shrimp

Skunk Cleaner shrimp

Fish:

Long nose Hawkfish

Yellow Watchmen Goby

any suggestions on improvements? Or maybe remove something and add something else, thanks alot

Mitch529
After some thinking for livestock I have come up with the following

CUC:

4 more Scarlet Reef Hermits

4 More Nass

4 more Cerith

Inverts:

Blood Shrimp

Skunk Cleaner shrimp

Fish:

Long nose Hawkfish

Yellow Watchmen Goby

any suggestions on improvements? Or maybe remove something and add something else, thanks alot

Inverts look good, but I would suggest researching the Long nose Hawkfish...

"Diet includes other smaller fishes, crabs, shrimps and snails and this is where the wide mouth of this species comes handy."

avalanche1201

yea I read that but I remembered reading about another member with a long nose in his 24. O well, I really love the fish but I really love the blood and skunk shrimps.

Im still not 100% on the YWG but I guess it would be better safe to not get the long nose....back to the drawing board to find some more fish

edit: purple firefish and banggai fish are on the board for options...as well as the six line wrasse

Edited by avalanche1201

Mitch529
yea I read that but I remembered reading about another member with a long nose in his 24. O well, I really love the fish but I really love the blood and skunk shrimps.

Im still not 100% on the YWG but I guess it would be better safe to not get the long nose....back to the drawing board to find some more fish

edit: purple firefish and banggai fish are on the board for options...as well as the six line wrasse

I have a Randall's Goby and he is cool, very similar to the YWG (Shrimp Gobys) and I have the Banggai Cardinal very cool also. I have heard too many horror stories about six line