Pod Your Reef

Avalanche's Aquapod Reef

avalanche1201

Sorry to hear about the cleaner :( I hope your pistol stays strong! I need to hurry up and get a pistol for my goby ;)

Check out my thread, I finally bit the bullet and went w/a 4th fish!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read your thread and wanted to say hi. I just (2 days ago) started up and AP24 (my first) and am getting some good ideas from you! I also live in Boston and have been going to Skiptons and really like it there too. IMO, they have a great staff that is very knowledgeable and helpful. I have been to another LFS that has really nice stuff too, and the staff was certainly pleasant, but definitely not as friendly as Skiptons. Those guys are great and have helped me out a lot already, and I never feel like they are trying to push any sales. Anyway, I'll be following your post!

Oh, and are you a member of the local club: bostonreefers?

Just read your thread and wanted to say hi. I just (2 days ago) started up and AP24 (my first) and am getting some good ideas from you! I also live in Boston and have been going to Skiptons and really like it there too. IMO, they have a great staff that is very knowledgeable and helpful. I have been to another LFS that has really nice stuff too, and the staff was certainly pleasant, but definitely not as friendly as Skiptons. Those guys are great and have helped me out a lot already, and I never feel like they are trying to push any sales. Anyway, I'll be following your post!

Oh, and are you a member of the local club: bostonreefers?

Yea I never felt pressured into a sale either. I mean the woman talked me out of a sale and helped me choose something better for me

and yea I am a member of the Boston Reefers Society. I would like to go to the meeting the sat after this one over at UMass-Boston but I think I have a rugby game that day...my roommate is going though I believe so hope fully he will have some good feedback on what I missed.

btw, thanks for reading :) glad to know I can help some fellow reefers out with my thread

also my name is the same on BRS and I have a tank thread over there in the Reef Talk Section, its called "intro to my ap24"

edit: http://bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51608

DogfoodEnforcer

first off, GREAT tank avalanche. ive got some ideas from this thread that i will definitely use when setting up my (first) tank.

i got a question though. why do gobies and shrimp "pair up"? is there any reason for it, or do they just do it? ive seen a video of a pistol shrimp and goby hanging out together, but i didnt know that they team up...that is pretty kickass! do all gobies pair up with shrimp, or only a few types? also, is it just pistol shrimp that gobies seem to team up with, or other types as well?

first off, GREAT tank avalanche. ive got some ideas from this thread that i will definitely use when setting up my (first) tank.

i got a question though. why do gobies and shrimp "pair up"? is there any reason for it, or do they just do it? ive seen a video of a pistol shrimp and goby hanging out together, but i didnt know that they team up...that is pretty kickass! do all gobies pair up with shrimp, or only a few types? also, is it just pistol shrimp that gobies seem to team up with, or other types as well?

Thanks :) I love it when people tell me I've got a good tank...I feel like I'm finally doing something right.

As for the gobies only certain kinds pair up w/ pistol shrimp. To pair up with a shrimp you need a shrimp goby. They pair b/c the pistol shrimp is blind, so the goby is the eyes. They stay together in a burrow and venture out for food...when danger comes near the goby flicks its tail a few times to warn the shrimp...they then dart back into the hole

Thats the pairing in a nut shell...I'm sure it goes deeper then that, but thats all I know

Update

So one of my zoa colonies seems to be metling...any ideas on what I can do? Ill try to get a pic tonight..

if a FW dip is suggested...how do I do this? Just drop it in some distilled water thats the same temp for a few min?

Update

So one of my zoa colonies seems to be metling...any ideas on what I can do? Ill try to get a pic tonight..

if a FW dip is suggested...how do I do this? Just drop it in some distilled water thats the same temp for a few min?

Hmm by 'colonies is melting' do you mean that a few polyps are dying or the entire colony? If it is indeed the entire colony melting and there is nothing wrong with your tanks water, then it is possible there is a pest or disease? Dipping them in fresh water would probably worsen the problem if they are melting, the most I would feel comfortable with is some tank water dosed with iodine to dip them in.

I just added a small frag of zoas the other day and a few polyps didn't survive the FW dip, so an injured colony probably would finish them off!

Good luck!

well so far ive only noticed a polyp or two...its a tiny frag and I got it free...but its real nice and I would like to save it

currently one polyp is closed, and a few others are barely open

well so far ive only noticed a polyp or two...its a tiny frag and I got it free...but its real nice and I would like to save it

currently one polyp is closed, and a few others are barely open

Check out this thread it has some possible reasons that they could be closing up!

thanks mitch, can always count on you for a quick response

edit: I never light acclimated them...or the xenias that I have noticed may have melted as well...think its time to cut down the light cycle.....

thanks mitch, can always count on you for a quick response

LoL, gotta love those email notifications and a laptop always attached to my hip :P Hope everything works out with them. If its only a few closed I wouldn't worry, they close up for unknown reasons sometimes. But if you suspect something then definitely pull them out, inspect them dip them whatever it takes.

Here are a few pics of them right now. I'm thinking of fragging the left side off to try to save the right....b/c the right is looking much better

(the strands u might see in the picture are b/c my millie fell over when I was in class so it was just chillen next to the zoas stressed for a few hours)

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

and here is when I first got them

greens.jpg

Tough to tell from the pictures, but its possible those polyps didn't make it but usually zoas are very hardy. That link I sent you, have you checked to make sure there are no predators irritating them because they all look kind of closed up/irritated.

When a polyp dies it will shrink up and kind of melt, the ones that died on my frag you could definitely tell they were not going to make it. You can always try dipping them and see if you can save them.

So got an update....I feel the pistol shrimp has passed as well...no noises from him, sightings, or more tunnels in the sand...guess thats what happens u make an intoxicated purchase w/o the time or extra water to do a prop drip....never going to do that again

anyways, I got a few new frags today....my roommate went down to the Boston Reefers Society meeting today while i was at rugby and he grabbed me two monti caps, and some GSP...the lights are out now and im floating the other cap...so pictures to come very soon

So got an update....I feel the pistol shrimp has passed as well...no noises from him, sightings, or more tunnels in the sand...guess thats what happens u make an intoxicated purchase w/o the time or extra water to do a prop drip....never going to do that again

anyways, I got a few new frags today....my roommate went down to the Boston Reefers Society meeting today while i was at rugby and he grabbed me two monti caps, and some GSP...the lights are out now and im floating the other cap...so pictures to come very soon

Sorry to hear about the pistol :( Try dropping a piece of food in front of a tunnel at night and see if he comes out. I need to grab a monit cap, they look cool and I have the perfect spot for one.

Check out my thread I posted a pic & vid of my new pistol.

avalanche1201

so the camera batteries are dead :(

and the GSP is in my roommates tank...so ill charge the batteries and snag my GSP 2morro and get some pics....hope everyone is excited w/ anticipation...

also....i'm thinking of getting a lobster for my tank....more specifically a Hawaiian Red Lobster or a Debelius' Reef Lobster

here are some pics:

Red Hawaiian:

0058-0502-1312-4239_SM.jpg

Debelius' Reef Lobster:

jhendrixlobster_400.JPG

I still love the idea of a shrimp goby/pistol combo...but I have always wanted a lobster in the tank...so if I go the lobster route I'll be able to get another fish or 2 (I hope) since I wont need a shrimp goby....

OPEN FOR IDEAS FOR A FINAL FISH!!!!

Cool, lobsters are awesome are they reef safe though I have never looked into it.

I have decided to get rid of my Cardinal since getting the other clown the tank just feels too crowded with the three. I think I may just get a clown goby to replace the cardinal, or just stick with the 2 clowns.

avalanche1201

I've been looking around and I keep reading they are reef safe....some other member on here (215reefer) has one and hasn't had any problems so I hope they will be alright

and mitch...I'm in college and don't have a job so I don't have to much money, but if your willing to ship to 02115 (boston, ma) ill snag the cardinal if its not to much after shipping

I've been looking around and I keep reading they are reef safe....some other member on here (215reefer) has one and hasn't had any problems so I hope they will be alright

and mitch...I'm in college and don't have a job so I don't have to much money, but if your willing to ship to 02115 (boston, ma) ill snag the cardinal if its not to much after shipping

I understand that lol! I would be willing to ship it but honestly I don't think its worth it, shipping would almost be more than the fish costs. I will try locally a bit more and if I don't get rid of it I will sell it to you for just the shipping costs.

Archived