Cultivated Reef

10g nano + 4g refugium

danano

Brain coral (favites sp.) frag... new addition to the reef :D Came with a piece of shroom rock I picked up on Sunday... brain was a bonus! Fragged it when I got home... doing well (bleached section was already there when I got it)... should start calcifying soon :)

Candy cane on the left.

Thanks Breno. If you're asking about dimensions of the tank, it's 20"L x 10.5"W x 12"H. Hope this answers, if not, kindly clarify.;)

Dan

Just to share... I fragged the encrusting base of my pink tip acro a week ago. It was making contact with and showing aggression towards my yellow cup coral and I thought to myself... time for the hammer and chissel (pointed tip screwdriver):D A brief 5 minute exercise resulted in four tiny frags, about 1/2" each.

I attached the frags onto LR with 3M super glue gel, all within 6 inches from the surface.

After one week, there is visible growth/encrustation:)... the light brown rim surrounding the frag in the pics. Next, I hope to see new corallites/branches.

The monti's were brown when I took them home. A week later, they turned a pastel lime green... after another week, new white/growth edges appeared :D. I've attached before and after pics.

Birdsnest frag showing very good polyp extension. New growth on tips as well...

Notice the 3 porite shrimps in the x'mas tree rock near the bottom... there are about 15 living in various rock. Cute little things... they capture food that pass their little homes with their hairy/feather like feelers. They groom the area surrounding their homes/holes with their pincers.

Dan

My latest addition (on 6/6/03)... a purple tip table acro

Montipora danae, t. crocea and t. derasa moved to other spots on the reef to make room for the purple tip... which is now the centerpiece.

Root... happy to hear! ;) Do keep us updated on your progress with the DIY fuge. My macroalgae are growing like weeds, will need to start trimming them soon.

Sahin... really appreciate the feedback dude! :D

I took this full-tank picture on June 10, a day after adding the purple tip acro. I expect that many of the corals will outgrow the tank in the next 6 to 12 months and I will need to frag them. If I setup and cycle my new and larger nano (20g) in time, I'll simply move some of them over.

Alexandre Di Sesso

Beautiful tank Danano!

Based on your experience I started using a Piccolo skimmer in my nano. Here in Brazil there is a company that make them and sell for 8 bucks.

Alexandre

• 1 month later...

Danano,

Can you post some more pictures of your DIY refuge? Perhaps some close-up shots as well, I've been researching fuges lately and am looking at doing a similar setup, thanks.

-moore

hey danano,

Do you use a heater at all? I didn't see one listed on your specs... I'm afraid of putting a heater in the plastic fuge. Also, what'd you use for a bulkhead?

-moore

• 1 year later...