Top Shelf Aquatics

10g nano + 4g refugium

danano

he does have awesome tanks though...and some of the best sps i have ever seen.....and oh ya btw he doesnt use MH!

he uses t5s. it also helps hes from singapore so he gets all the good stuff easily

Hey there OTF, SLO et al ;)

Yup, the 10g was decommissioned 18 months ago and the 30g last year. It's now just the 110g. :)

SLO's right, I'm running 8x 54w T5s over my current tank. I had 6x 24w T5s illuminating the 30g previously and got good results. And Singapore being a small nation, it's a only a 30 minute drive at most to the farthest LFS - that's always a nice convenience when stocks arrive.

Hey danano, I'm curious as to what else you're doing to get those amazing colors. I know a lot of them are probably wild, but what are you doing to limit your nutrients? That tank would give any ZEOhead's tank a run for his money.

Oh, and don't tell me it's because of your t5's :P

Well, the T5s spectrum does make a difference. It's important to choose the right tubes and have good reflectors. The colours I get are more pastel compared to MH.

Frequent water changes is key as well.

The LR provide sufficient food for most of my grazing fish. Hence, I only feed once every 3 days.

And I use a powerful beckett skimmer.

A good number of the corals actually started out as aquacultured specimens. Another dozen or so were grown out from frags, mainly from the 10g nano and 30g.

Here's a pic of the left side of my 110g.

Dan - I always use your tank as the example when someone starts in with the "MH ONLY" criteria.

Do you think the pastel colors are a direct result of T5 lighting? I wonder if you take a frag and run it under MH, if you then get the higher contrasting colors...like green body with purple tips? Either way, I feel the the trade off between T5 (pastel colors, less heat, less cost) and MH (higher contrast, more heat, more expensive) is just a personal choice.

"And I use a powerful beckett skimmer.

Another tank to support the "no such thing as over skimming" debate.

hey denano, havent heard from you in a while...but you arent nano anymore so i can see why. your tank is looking awesome as always.

anyway ive been thinking about setting up a 20l with t5s. since it is only 12 inches deep and 12 inches wide i was thinking about just doing a 4 bulb setup. what do you think would be the best bulb setup to run to get the best coloration. growth isnt as important since it is a small tank.

keep up the good work

Xerox, yup, the yellow canary has been with me for some time. And thanks!

SLO, 4x T5s would do nicely for a 20L. I suggest going for the ATI T5s: 2x Aquablue Special plus 2x Blueplus. If you're keeping more high-light sps, then go for 3x Aquablue's and 1x Blue Plus. Play around with the T5 combination to see what works best for you and your corals.

• 5 months later...
captainhaddock

Great tank!

I was just wondering how you keep your clams so healthy in a 10 gallon? I have a 10 gallon and want to keep a derasa, I wondered what you would advise to look after it (and the growing speed)?

thanks

Well Dan doesn't have the 10 anymore, that became his epic 30ga, which is no more, and now he has a SWEET 110ga....the thread is kinda old :)

Check out his tank (TOTM) at reef central 2-3 months ago....

captainhaddock, well, when I had my 10g, i used just PC lighting. I wanted to keep sps and clams, so i added more bulbs. I used 3x 55w PC.

T. Derasa is a fast grower. Unless you have plans for a larger tank in a year or so, I would say croceas and maximas would be better choices in terms of slower growth rates. If you do decide on one, try smaller 2 - 3" specimens.

Low flow, good water quality, stable parameters and good lighting should do the trick.

• 1 month later...

I thought his reflectors were made by a german company called Balkin (or something like that) but he thought they were comparable to ATI's...remember he's in Singapore, so he has access to stuff we can't get.

danano.

I know this thread is practically extinct now, but Just wanted to say it is truly an inspiration for me as I try to set up a 10gal nano.

One question though, I'm confused as to how much water flow I need to keep a mixed reef with acropora sps?.

Currently I have :

2 aquaclear 301 powerheads rated at 174gph each,

A small aquafuge protein skimmer with a MJ1200 powerhead rated at 295gph and

A microjet rated at 117gph.

Total flow is 760 gph?

In your esperience is that enough flow? I see that you only have 470gph total in your 10 gal setup and u seem to be doing great!

air_doc, sounds like you have ample flow for your 10g. Much depends on your rock scape too but 760gph should be more than adequate regardless.

drowning, thanks. If you are seriously looking for the ATI reflectors, your best bet would be to look up the German online stores. If you speak German, even better!;)

otf, thanks for covering bro!:)

My 10g nano has now morphed into this...a 110g NANO:happy:

danano22Aug05006a.jpg

• Like 1

omg. that is absolutely breathtaking! how many gallons is that beauty? absolutely lovely. great job, danano :) you are an inspiration to all of us sps nano keepers