Cultivated Reef

Anemone Propagation!

adinsxq

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!!!

Anyway......finally.....some pics!!!! :D

(Notice my newly improved camera skillz ;) )

Borneman anemone, top view:

229.JPG

And a side view:

149.JPG

Sorry guys - just a teaser until I can upload the maxi pics :)

thats what they are I have like five of them lol .and I have been trying to ID them for over a year now....three just like that one and 2 that are pink.

WHAT ABOUT ME???????? omgomgomg:flower::flower::flower::scarry:

Sorry, I forgot to say you can have some too, I know how to share. Infact I will share with everyone (with Daniels permission) just as long as he still has at least one of each so I can see them the next time I get to go up there. :) So friends? :flower:

And Pheallox you should share also those are my favorite anems, ever since I saw one in the lfs and they wouldn't get it off the rock for me (although at the time I just though it was a cool mushie, oops) and then they sold it to someone else :( . But I have one now :). YAY Daniel.

Sorry, I forgot to say you can have some too, I know how to share. Infact I will share with everyone (with Daniels permission) just as long as he still has at least one of each so I can see them the next time I get to go up there. :) So friends? :flower:

And Pheallox you should share also those are my favorite anems, ever since I saw one in the lfs and they wouldn't get it off the rock for me (although at the time I just though it was a cool mushie, oops) and then they sold it to someone else :( . But I have one now :). YAY Daniel.

My LFS gives them to me bnecuse they think they are pests LOL...and I will share I found a good way to force split them by dropping the rock into a cup of 50/50 salt water and skimmer gunk (dont ask) and after about half an hour there are 2 and so far all three times it has worked :D

My LFS gives them to me bnecuse they think they are pests LOL...and I will share I found a good way to force split them by dropping the rock into a cup of 50/50 salt water and skimmer gunk (dont ask) and after about half an hour there are 2 and so far all three times it has worked :D

:huh:

Where are they getting their live rock from? Bornemans, from what I can tell, are fairly "rare" in the hobby. Certainly not a lot of "ID this nem" threads, and basically no info whatsoever about them.

Interesting propagation technique you got there.....too bad I don't have a skimmer :(

That last maxi in the pics is MIA - gotta go find it before it reattaches :D

They told me it is from there fiji rock yet I got one off of they tonga branch so I dont think they even know.....the closes ID I got was from Adin he called them ugly rock nems well I dont care what they are or where they come from I like them and they like me :P ....the new one is so cool it is green centered and has pink and white on the tips.

well I just cant bring myself to cut mine had the blade in hand and thought what if I phuck this up with adin around I will never get another ....so I will just feed it daily until it splits and then when there is 2 I will try.

well I just cant bring myself to cut mine had the blade in hand and thought what if I phuck this up with adin around I will never get another ....so I will just feed it daily until it splits and then when there is 2 I will try.

Yeah - I've only got one so far, so I'm hesitant to cut, but I'm getting a few more in early November so I'll be attempting to cut then.

Have you had any split so far? How long does it take between splits?

Yes, friends!!!

Maybe now I can start an anemone prop tank too!

How do you like your Bam-Bam's?

I love my bam-bams, thank you so much for them. Its nice to have zoas again :) even if they are 12hrs away.

Yeah - I've only got one so far, so I'm hesitant to cut, but I'm getting a few more in early November so I'll be attempting to cut then.

Have you had any split so far? How long does it take between splits?

I was talking about cutting my mini....the "borneman nems" are the ones that I split with dirty water I think it is a servival instinct....I have five "borneman" and one mini.

100_5067.jpg

100_4996.jpg

I was talking about cutting my mini....the "borneman nems" are the ones that I split with dirty water I think it is a servival instinct....I have five "borneman" and one mini.

100_5067.jpg

100_4996.jpg

OH!!!......in that case......CHOP IT UP!!!!! :D

So Adin - tried the hammer method for removal...surprisingly enough, it worked on one of them. :o

The other five are just EXTREMELY ticked off :P

Worked on the little one on the right:

511.JPG

It's now sitting in my anemone bottle :)

Man its like being a crack head with out crack but a nice pipe ....but you guys have crack please share crack I need my crack....wow that went some where I didn't want to go.

Well she is cut hope for the best so far they are in a cup floating in there tank cup with holes and rubble in the bottom so when they want they can attach...so far thewy are shaped like a c and that looks good to me.

Well she is cut hope for the best so far they are in a cup floating in there tank cup with holes and rubble in the bottom so when they want they can attach...so far thewy are shaped like a c and that looks good to me.

:lol: PEER PRESSURE!!!!!!!!

Got my fingers crossed for ya!

Post some pics now :)

bucknellreefer

Where are you getting the nems dshnarw? I am in MD and I have never seen them around... Shoot me a PM if you don't wanna put a store name up here.

I did pick up some mini's at a frag swap in PA a couple weeks ago, would really love to get a maxi though, let me know if you ever have any up for grabs.

Where are you getting the nems dshnarw? I am in MD and I have never seen them around... Shoot me a PM if you don't wanna put a store name up here.

I did pick up some mini's at a frag swap in PA a couple weeks ago, would really love to get a maxi though, let me know if you ever have any up for grabs.

I got them all from a WAMAS member. Took all the healthy ones he had and left the one that didn't look like it'd survive the trip. Haven't seen any in stores - although I've bugged the heck out of every LFS worth walking in in the DC area. (Still trying to convince one store that they aren't pizza nems :rolleyes: )

Are your minis the watermelon (green/pink) variety? If not, we should trade minis.

I'm in the waiting stage on the maxis right now - trying to tick them off enough that they move. Then they'll be getting cut and traded around.

bucknellreefer

I got three different ones. one is kind of yellow and pink, one is more watermelonish and one ran away and i haven't seen since i put them in the tank. I am hoping it will resurface, but who knows...

How long do they(mini's) take to begin multiplying once added to a tank?

I got three different ones. one is kind of yellow and pink, one is more watermelonish and one ran away and i haven't seen since i put them in the tank. I am hoping it will resurface, but who knows...

How long do they(mini's) take to begin multiplying once added to a tank?

I dont know how long it takes for them to split naturally, but its a whole lot faster to just split them yourself. All you gotta do is take them out of the tank, use a new (sharp) razor and slice through the mouth. (For better instructions see Adins photo instructions in the beginning of the thread). I say dont wait for natural splits just do it yourself. ;):)

Oh and when you do, can I have one? I'll get Daniel to trade you one of ours for one of yours.

Amber

bucknellreefer

Alright, I think i'll give them a little while to settle in and then i'll start hacking them to bits. I only got them a week or so ago. I'll try and get some pics at some point as well.

So this is the 1.5 pico all my Bornman nems are in and a few close ups

nempico.jpg

There are actualy five in therethe large is the first and the culture where I cloned the resat exept for the green centered one middle left.

nem4.jpg

mother

nem3.jpg

nem2.jpg

first clone

nem1.jpg

newest addition

and this is my mini after I went EMO on his arse.

cut2.jpg

cut1.jpg

cut5.jpg

they have attached and are looking well buy only time will tell.

So this is the 1.5 pico all my Bornman nems are in and a few close ups

nempico.jpg

There are actualy five in therethe large is the first and the culture where I cloned the resat exept for the green centered one middle left.

nem4.jpg

mother

nem3.jpg

nem2.jpg

first clone

nem1.jpg

Hmmm, seeing these guys reminded me of some 'nems posted in an old hitch hiker thread I've saved. Has the "Borneman 'nem" ever been tentatively identified? It seems to resemble the pics posted on this page (scroll down a little):

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...608b2a84f60b16a

which were tentatively ID'd, at least at that site, as Phymanthus sp. Wonder if a search on that genus would yield anything?

--Diane

Hmmm, seeing these guys reminded me of some 'nems posted in an old hitch hiker thread I've saved. Has the "Borneman 'nem" ever been tentatively identified? It seems to resemble the pics posted on this page (scroll down a little):

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...608b2a84f60b16a

which were tentatively ID'd, at least at that site, as Phymanthus sp. Wonder if a search on that genus would yield anything?

--Diane

There have been several "guesses" as to its ID, but no one has really decided for sure that I know of - EB put them into Epicystis along with the relocated flower/rock anemones. Others have decided on Phymanthus, but I don't think a concensus has been formed, at least among the reefing "experts". I think it should be in Phymanthus because of morphology (doesn't hurt that it would mean EB was wrong either...I kind of enjoy that idea :) )

Maybe we should send it to the REAL anemone expert - Dr. Daphne Fautin?

Archived