Top Shelf Aquatics

Anemone Propagation!

adinsxq

I'll post pics of them plus the NanoCube 6 of my waratah's. Last I counted, I had about 20 large ones (up to 2" wide) and some with green dotted lines on the red bodies and some with really light blue tiny dots on the red bodies and some with large blue dots around the rim of the tentacles. I need to get a good camera that shoots macro-any suggestions would be helpful.

Brian

I wish this was a group buy. These are all for me for the time being. Then once I hook up with Adinsxq, I'll try to slice and dice them and let some so.Cal people get some cheap. Just trying to help out my fellow reefers.

Brian

How bout a few to the eastern half - say Kentucky? ;) The only cool stuff we get out here is rics. :(

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
joel sandoman
1. Materials: Sharp blade (NEW), cutting surface (a cutting board is best), water bath (keeps the slime out of your tank), and THE VICTIM. Always wear proper protective gear! Gloves...goggles... etc.

Adin! where's your gloves?!

Jamie: I wouldn't recommend slicing an actinia anemone (waratah, beadlet, etc). Even if it were to work, it wouldn't be the most productive way to culture them. Once they get large enough they become a baby-spitting-factory and slicing them have the effect of keeping them small (again, this is assuming they are capable of surviving a slice). I have considered it however; about 3 or 4 months ago I made a radial cut in one of my larger ones. It wasn't a complete removal of two halves... more of just wanting to see what would happen. The individual filled in cut and is still alive today.

Joel: Always wear gloves! Do as I say, not as I do!

Update: The mouths have reformed and the tentacles are sticky. I'll probably wait another week before I begin agressive feeding again. This species is extremely hardy. This fragging session experienced zero losses out of the 4 anemones split.

Adin, how many nems do you have now? Do you still have the anemones with the red and black faced anemones?

-texx

Adin, how many nems do you have now? Do you still have the anemones with the red and black faced anemones?

-texx

yeah... that guy is king of the tank-o-neglect.

update on the red in the photo illustrating 50/50 portioning of the base

62qajnr.jpg

the twins!!

make the anemone "uncomfortable."

options:

1. direct a powerhead at the base

2. reposition the rock so that it's under low light

the nem will either start to walk or completely detach. once it's moving, you can easily peel it off with your thumbnail.

OR, chip it out.

great photo btw!

tex... need more info. get a shot of the body too

make the anemone "uncomfortable."

options:

1. direct a powerhead at the base

2. reposition the rock so that it's under low light

the nem will either start to walk or completely detach. once it's moving, you can easily peel it off with your thumbnail.

OR, chip it out.

great photo btw!

tex... need more info. get a shot of the body too

Thanks for the tips! Might have to figure something with a powerhead. The only return is done via a spraybar coming off a Mag 2.

It's already under rather low light at the moment. It's in my pico tank sitting in the shade for the past 2 months now. Can't chip it out either since it's embedded in a rock surrounded by orange bam bam zoas. :mellow: It just looks well lighted in the pic since I moved it for the shot.

• 3 weeks later...

i forwarded this thread to GaryM at reefcentral. i'm so nervous... Majchrzak and Weast = reef idols.

WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT, BUT IT'S BEEN DONE

Don't gut it. SHARP, brand-new razor...Or, like mentioned above, a friggin' machete.

I honestly would not try it. Just buy another one (and sell yours if its too big)

Not worth killing a creature that lives almost infinite :/

Really. And bubbles split so g.d. often that you may as well just wait for it to do it on its own.

Archived