Pod Your Reef

Anemone Propagation!

adinsxq

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Can I frag the green carpet anemone? It was about 5cm in size about 2 months ago. And now it is 8cm in size. The pink tube anemone is moved further away from the carpet anemone now. These 2 anemones were found in Singapore local beaches.

post-16406-1255062461_thumb.jpg

post-16406-1255062469_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Can I frag the green carpet anemone? It was about 5cm in size about 2 months ago. And now it is 8cm in size. The pink tube anemone is moved further away from the carpet anemone now. These 2 anemones were found in Singapore local beaches.

that is a hoddoni carpet nem. they cant be split and they will not split on its own. it will grow to be pretty big. ive got one 10" same as the one in the pic. they r supposed to be hard to care for but if u find a good one they r very hardy. ive had mine a few years and its been through hell. i feed mine once or twice a month.

• 2 months later...

Very cool. You don't worry about touching them with your bare hands? What about larger breeds? Like maybe a bubble-tip? I think I'd be weary of handling them extensively like this without gloves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
NaClCrocodile

Well I just chiseled the rock around my plain jane green Maxi away and may have done a little damage. He looks pretty pissed and about 1 1/2" diameter (compared to his usual 4-5"). Hope he makes it through. If he does, I'll give him a few weeks and then he'll go under the knife. We shall see.

• 1 month later...

Your pictures don't show anymore :(

Stichodactyla tapetum ( mini carpet anemone ) Propagation

1. Materials: Sharp blade (NEW), cutting surface (a cutting board is best), water bath (keeps the slime out of your tank), and THE VICTIM. Always wear proper protective gear! Gloves...goggles... etc.

1.jpg

2. Today's lucky contestant is a green Stichodactyla tapetum aka "maxi" mini carpet anemone. I wouldn't recommend cutting a "mini" that's smaller than a nickel or a "maxi" smaller than a silver dollar. I don't have a good reason for these "rules," it's more of a "doesn't feel right" sort of thing. Do NOT attempt to cut these while attached to a rock. You will NOT get a clean cut. The halves need to be physically separated for proper healing. Place the anemone on to your cutting surface. Allow it to relax for a minute, round out, and release some of its water.

2.jpg

3. Carefully plan your cut. Ideally you want to create two halves of equal size. Find a line of symmetry. I planned making the initial cut along the blue line, and the secondary cut along the red.

3a.jpg

4. Place the tip of your blade into the mouth (45 degre cutting angle). Pierce the tip all the way through until you feel the cutting surface with the tip of the blade. The anemone may tense up at this point, even spit out a stream of water. Holding the anemone in place by pinching it (see above), slice through the anemone from the mouth-out in one clean stroke. Throughout the slice you want to feel the tip of your blade touching the cutting surface to ensure a clean cut. (cleaner cut; quicker heal!)

3b.jpg

5. Rotate the anemone around. Reposition your blade into the mouth again. Pinch and slice.

4.jpg

6. Allow the halves to "round out" in the water bath. S. tapetum does not produce a lot of slime... compared to other, larger anemones. Five minutes in the bath should be more than sufficient. If you've made a good cut, your halves will for "C" shapes quickly. You can now place the halves into your propagation tank. Discard the bath water! Keep the halves separated! To avoid infection, give the healing anemones good circulation and away from tankmates that may irritate them (fish, shrimp, crabs, etc.)

5.jpg

Final notes: The more "foot" you give a half, the quicker it will heal. 50/50 works best. Here's an angled shot of another S. tapetum post-cut.

6.jpg

Following the cut, the halves should close up around the damaged end quickly. This photo shows the undersides of the two halves of the anemone shown above.

7.jpg

8.jpg

I know a bunch of you are hunting for these cool little 'nems. I hope this helps!

4yqavqv.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived