SaltCritters.com

Anemone Propagation!

adinsxq

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GrandpaFeathers

Guys what kind of lighting do these require?

I've got 96 watts of pc over 12 gallons, but i doubt that's enough. I'm upgrading in the near future, so we'll see.

I cant possibly read through 17 pages so i gotta ask..

Has anyone tried/Is it possible...to cut an anemone in 1/4s and get 4 healthy Anemone "Frags"???

From my research and experience keeping a maxi mini as well as a mini they are really easy to keep. as for lighting PC is fine I keep mine under 130 watts of PC. Care wise they are really easy, they eat readily and if you touch one it will stick to your hand as if trying to eat you. Someone here actually stated that they have found a mini hiding in the collection cup of their skimmer and was doing great. The major problem is finding these guys I found my first two on fraggle reef and havent seen any on any sites besides atlantis ( this is where I got my red from) and the minis I have seen range in price from 40 dollars to upwards of 200, the maxi minis i have seen run for about 100. I hope this helps

Casey

• 2 months later...

look in my frag tank thread I have pics of all my maxi minis and my minis there. I got all my mini nebs but the red from miguel. The rainbow and my purple maxi I got from him in my first order. Then I got the twin minis from him in the second. I need to get pics of the twins up yet and I will see what I can do about getting pics of the rainbows.

it's not absolutely crucial to cut the anemone straight down the middle.

if you cut out enough base material (tissue) you can still clone (same with mushrooms/rics)

mother

SCNRS2%20455.jpg

clone

SCNRS2%20532.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

thread needs more pix.

Does anyone have a recommendation of where to get nice lil' nems online?

• 4 months later...

Can you do this with BTA or any other Anemone? I read a story where a BTA got partially stuck in a wavemaker and small bits of pieces got ripped all over the tank and the ownder found small live BTA's in back of the tank later. So if I were to cuts pieces of the tentacles and put it in a small breeder box, they would become small BTA's? I guess it's the same concept as Aptasias reproducing when you break them into small pieces?

Can you do this with BTA or any other Anemone? I read a story where a BTA got partially stuck in a wavemaker and small bits of pieces got ripped all over the tank and the ownder found small live BTA's in back of the tank later. So if I were to cuts pieces of the tentacles and put it in a small breeder box, they would become small BTA's? I guess it's the same concept as Aptasias reproducing when you break them into small pieces?

NO. Don't do that. If you are going to try and split a BTA, you'll need great water parameters, and a species only tank would be ideal, so nothing bugs the clones while they heal. They need to be split at the mouth.

I'm not going to try it yet because I'm not experienced and I didn't have it for long. I have a breeder box I can use If I decide to propagate it. I just found a video of BTA cutting on youtube. They said cut through the mouth and in the video he feels the mouth. So you have to cut through the external mouth and feel the internal mouth?

• 2 weeks later...

damn. there goes my plans for prop. What about cutting off parts of the foot or heavy feeding/stress induced splits

lolz nm why did I even ask about stress induced splits when they dont split?

Archived