Pod Your Reef

just got fish & CUC

phishy11

Yeah, i bought a test kit and a ph tester is in it.

What should my ph be ?

That is a great question to ask BEFORE adding livestock to your tank... but since you are already passed that... go ahead and pull that puppy out.. follow the instructions and let us know what you get.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not testing it now.

can you give me an idea of what it should be at for when i test it later?

im not testing it now.

nervmind, got my answer

im not testing it now.

nervmind, got my answer

Good luck with that... my own daughters awake now - she's number one on the attention list. Later!

Scott Riemer

I'm sorry, but, I can't believe your nitrates are zero. Assuming your ammonia and nitrite really are zero, your damsel should be creating enough waste that you'd be showing something somewhere. What test kit are you using?

Hi... your tank pictures showed diatom algae on your rocks. The second pic... those yellowish-brown stains on the top left rock and the top right rock. Those white spots on the rocks are just newly grazed areas, not coralline algae.

So, it's pretty obviously to me that you got a cycle going on in there. Maybe it's time to switch your testkit brand.

This is what I would do...

Return all the snails. Your turbo snails will graze all the algae, which leaves nothing to cycle for.

You need those diatom algae to grow, to exhaust the nutrients going in there. Soon, hair algae will spout and overtake as they out-compete the diatom.

Once you got enough hair algae, then get your snails/hermits. After the hair algae is mowed down by the clean-up crew, you will be more or less ready for your 1st coral.

Don't change the water... if you do that, you will be prolonging the cycle and would take a long long time to complete the initial cycle.

If you are worry about the damsel health, you can do a maximum of 10% water change once a week. But any damsel is tough enough to take on a full cycling, in my experience.

Yeah, you must remember to change/rinse the filter floss (if you are using it) every 2 days.

Keep the lights on as per normal (like 8hrs) for maximum diatom growth. Don't worry about a ugly diatom tank. It's an essential part of the cycle, in my opinion.

ya, don't add anymore rocks now. you will need space for your future corals.

:happy:

edit:

here's some snail pics for your snail id

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=526

you know I haven't been able to find a liquid ph test...I have seen the ones they have that you put on the side of the tank..anyone have those?

I got a Salifert PH test kit (drops) - I don't know about the hang on ones... I don't want to take the risk.

you know I haven't been able to find a liquid ph test...I have seen the ones they have that you put on the side of the tank..anyone have those?

If you are talking about the seachem hang on ones, the ammonia is for fresh/salt but as far as I have seen the PH hang on is fresh only

Scott Riemer
hey scott..I heard the nitrates of 20 were ok...is that right??

While 20 isn't horrible, under 10 would be better. But, that's sometimes difficult in a new system.

Nitrate is also a key nutrient source for algae. Most of the unwanted algae thrive on poor water quality, high nutrient levels and excessive nitrate. Many initially cycling tanks experience an algae bloom due to this effect.

Scott Riemer
could it have to do with the type of salt I am using?

What are you using? Mixing your own, or buying pre-mixed?

Scott Riemer
mix my own DI water Instant Ocean

The salt shouldn't be adding any nitrates. Have you tested the water before you mix it for any sign of nitrates?

beachsidejuj

ahhh never thought of doing that!!! good idea THANKS and while I have you ear...how often should I do a water change??

Scott Riemer
ahhh never thought of doing that!!! good idea THANKS and while I have you ear...how often should I do a water change??

I do it once a week, about 20% (a little more). That's what I recommend. I know a few people who go every other week. Some only do 10% once a week. Depends on your bio-load, size of tank, filtration, etc. Pick a routine you can live with and meets the needs of your livestock and go with it.

Dude, do you think i should take out all of the snails?

..i wanna know what other people think.

Give it a rest Phishy.

I think we have all had enough.

Archived