SaltCritters.com

My new CADLIGHTS 5g nano w/ 24w T5 lighting

Kombucha

Your tank is looking great, and was a major part of the inspiration for me to order one. Mine is in the bathtub right now getting water tested! I have two sort of "mistakes" with mine, but not big deals. First, I ordered a blue background but they sent me a clear background. Well, the overflow box is still blue and covers most of the rear so that's okay. Also my actinics and daylights are not separate, so each switch turns on/off 1 actinic + 1 daylight. Is that how your's came? I'm guessing if I switch the bulbs so the actinics are next to each other and the daylights are next to each other I'll be able to do them separate.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your tank is looking great, and was a major part of the inspiration for me to order one. Mine is in the bathtub right now getting water tested! I have two sort of "mistakes" with mine, but not big deals. First, I ordered a blue background but they sent me a clear background. Well, the overflow box is still blue and covers most of the rear so that's okay. Also my actinics and daylights are not separate, so each switch turns on/off 1 actinic + 1 daylight. Is that how your's came? I'm guessing if I switch the bulbs so the actinics are next to each other and the daylights are next to each other I'll be able to do them separate.

You could go to the hobby store and get some blue 3m vinyl and apply that to the back. just a thought, thats how I colored the back of my tank.

Why not contact cadlights and let them know you didn't get the blue vinyl? I'm sure they'd send you some. My actinics and daylights weren't seperate either, so I switched the bulbs around. Not the actinics are in the back and daylights on the front. :)

Wow, I am just amazed at how fast this tank has come together! Well done! I am so tempted to purchase the CADLIGHTS 9g tank and take my first stab at SW.

-Carl

Wow, I am just amazed at how fast this tank has come together! Well done! I am so tempted to purchase the CADLIGHTS 9g tank and take my first stab at SW.

-Carl

Thanks Carl! :D

Great looking tank! I am sooo close to buying one of these for my office. Maybe I missed it elsewhere in your thread, but have you found a heater that fits in the compartment?

Great looking tank! I am sooo close to buying one of these for my office. Maybe I missed it elsewhere in your thread, but have you found a heater that fits in the compartment?

yeah, I bought a hydor 50w heater and if fits perfect in back! As you can see from the photo there's plenty of room in back for prob any heater.

post-26005-1174067194_thumb.jpg

Cool. One other question, if you don't mind... Being an open top tank, how noisy do you find the overflow? I'm sharing an office at the moment, so I don't want the sound of gurgling water to annoy my officemate.

Cool. One other question, if you don't mind... Being an open top tank, how noisy do you find the overflow? I'm sharing an office at the moment, so I don't want the sound of gurgling water to annoy my officemate.

IMO it's pretty quite and would be a perfect office tank. Once I get a bigger tank(maybe in a year or so) I'm gonna take this 5g to work for my office. BTW- What part of wisconsin you from?

I don't want to steal the thread but I was glancing and came across your question and thought I could share my experience since I have a CADLIGHTS 22 gallons.

What I found through time is that the level of noise generated by the overflow depends on the level of water you want to keep in there. Since the stock pump is located in the rear chamber, the level of water in the main tank is pretty constant and evaporation is felt in the rear chambers first (at least with mine). So when I had water, the level rises back in the chambers but barely changes in the main tank. Now if you want your overflow not to make too much noise, you could simply make sure that you have enough water to prevent the "gurgle" from happening. Now I don't know what kind of waterfall you need to keep to make sure that a good gas exchange is happening but I think it's possible to keep the noise to a reasonable level. My tank was pretty quiet until I started adding a Sunpod with it's fan and a skimmer with its venturi air intake :angry:

i love your tank! i was looking at the 5 and the 9 at my lfs, and i fell in love with the five...i want to do a shroom and zoa tank. the owner was telling me though that keeping up with the top off on the 5 woud be a pain (of course he may have just wanted me to spend more $$ on the 9, but i really want something to sit on my bookshelf in my living room). so, about how much top off do you have to do each day?

Thanks for the help (you too, King). I'm in Madison...from your earlier posts it sounds like you have more choices for LFSs in SE WI!

i love your tank! i was looking at the 5 and the 9 at my lfs, and i fell in love with the five...i want to do a shroom and zoa tank. the owner was telling me though that keeping up with the top off on the 5 woud be a pain (of course he may have just wanted me to spend more $$ on the 9, but i really want something to sit on my bookshelf in my living room). so, about how much top off do you have to do each day?

I put a small mark on the right side of my tank at the level I wanted. Every day the water only goes down maybe a 1/8 inch. So all I have to top it off with RO water at night. It's no big deal at all really.

he looks nice great coloration and banding. can we get a pic of him in the tank from the front for scale

gosh you are demanding! :angry:

:lol:

post-26005-1174161334_thumb.jpg

Archived