ReefCleaners.org

3gal Mantis Reef

avalanche1201

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
avalanche1201

yea think he took out a hermit crab. I cant wait for him to get bigger so he can really mess things up...and One day Ill be setting up a 20gal (prob a Long) for a peacock so he can really smash some ###### up

avalanche1201

New FTS:

IMG_0333.jpg

And the star of the tank out and about:

IMG_0325.jpg

thought its a cool top down shot..helps show the mountain look of the rocks (ill get better w/ the lighting next time)

IMG_0337.jpg

avalanche1201

I know, I want to see him kill so bad. After everything is gone I might just have him in the tank, and every few days when i think he's hungry drop something in for him.

Im hooked now, I cant wait to get a Peacock mantis tank set up

I know, I want to see him kill so bad. After everything is gone I might just have him in the tank, and every few days when i think he's hungry drop something in for him.

Im hooked now, I cant wait to get a Peacock mantis tank set up

I have a 14g biocube strictly reef for about 8 months now. Everytime i added a fish the thing would magically disappear. About 3 weeks ago i look in my tank and spotted something burrowed in the sand. Wouldn't you know i had me a hitchiked peacock mantis shrimp. He's about 2.5 inches big. (so thaaaaats why my CUC are corpses!)

Im in the process of capturing this fascinating little guy with a mantis trap i bought online. No luck yet. Ill gettem though. When i do he will go in my new JBJ 3g pico tank (which i ordered yesterday) with some LR and some zoas and shrooms. Stock lighting and filtration as this will be at work and don't really want to deal with alot of evap issues and/or draw any attention from my coworkers.

avalanche1201

peacock in a 3gal? I dont know how long you will be able to keep him in there. Those things can get well over 6" long. I think he could be fine for a little while but once he gets bigger you will need to get him out. But man your lucky...wish I had a hitch hike peacock mantis

lilredneckman

Dang know i want a mantis. Once he kills something see if you can take a pic of him killing it. Lol if i were you i would catch like a live silverside if you live near the ocean and watch him destroy it.

avalanche1201

I have frozen silver sides, nothing live though. And I cant get to the Ocean easy enough in Boston to catch something. Im afraid Im going to miss his first few attacks b/c he has walking meals all over the tank. But he just hags out in his den most of the time and doesn't roam as much as I would like...so I'm thinking of getting a small Yellow Tail damsel or something to provide some activity in the tank, and if he gets eaten, he wouldn't be expensive

avalanche1201

Added a few ghost shrimp...might be a good meal for him. He whacked each one a few times and is out and about. Hopefully I can see something die!

Im cleaning the tank as I write to try to get a good shot of hopefully a future attack

one down already....the next one wont stop moving...he needs a name before he dies, lol. I love him, my roommate hates him, the emerald is after him as well

avalanche1201

So I didn't get a picture of my mantis getting a kill...so heres a picture of mighty mantis roaming around (I cleaned the glass right after the shot)

IMG_0373.jpg

and here is the emerald crab going after the shrimp

IMG_0381.jpg

if you look left you can see ghost shrimp running for his life...he hasn't stopped moving yet

IMG_0384.jpg

So I didn't get a picture of my mantis getting a kill...so heres a picture of mighty mantis roaming around (I cleaned the glass right after the shot)

IMG_0373.jpg

and here is the emerald crab going after the shrimp

IMG_0381.jpg

if you look left you can see ghost shrimp running for his life...he hasn't stopped moving yet

IMG_0384.jpg

Run little shrimp run... run for your life! lol. :lol:

avalanche1201
if he's alive tomorrow...god help him, lol

O man he's still alive. I can't believe it, lol. He's cleaning away at the ground right now. I might have to toss a few more in there so he some friends to share his horror with...

It might suck being a ghost shrimp, everyone wants to eat you

avalanche1201
Dude ur mantis is awesome! i kinda want one know. Did you add any more ghost shrimps for him to play with? lol

hell yea I did. I took whatever was inside the 1gal that was holding them in the common room in my dorm and added them all in. There are some big ones in there, I wish I could just hear him smash them so I could see him eat one...just have to get lucky. But he's pretty tiny right now w/ some bigger hermits, so I gotta find some smaller hermits for him to beat the hell out of

one day I want a peacock tank...those things can get to 7" in length and move there claw at 75ft per second...roughly 51mph if I did the math right

lilredneckman

Yeah one day i want one to...i think we all do lol. Do you hear him smash them at night??

Damn 51mph is fast man! I want one of them

avalanche1201

I hear him hit some stuff every now and then, I also here my pistol at times to in my other tank. But I can't hear him hit the shrimp b/c they dont have a shell or anything, he just whacks em and I see em fly and run away scared

Archived