Coral Vue Hydros

3gal Mantis Reef

avalanche1201

I don't think and AC 110 will fit on the back of a Picotope... I was looking into getting the biggest AC that would fit for my fuge mod and the 110 says it needs 13.5" of space on the back of the tank... I went with the 70 and a 50 impeller.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
avalanche1201

110 doesnt fit? damn it...when I do the heater switch then ill get the 70 and either trade w/ the 50 impeller or trim down the 70's impeller

avalanche1201

Did some tank cleaning and rearranging. Sol got pretty freaked at times and I kept staring him down when he darted to the surface...no jump so thats good

Before and after pics comen when the water clears up tonight

avalanche1201

The tank still is looken to great...and the lights are about to go out...Im gonna try to find a bag I can fill w/ some carbon and drop in there over night...for now here is a before picture...everything is still kinda stressed from moving and gluing

IMG_0055.jpg

avalanche1201

Sorry it took a while for the pics...but here they are. Ive got some Zoas I dont know the real names to...so I just made some up to try to describe them...if someone knows a real name let me know it...or u can help make a newer better name...anyways enough rant...here come the pics...

New FTS:

IMG_0056.jpg

White Tipped Frogspawn:

IMG_0057.jpg

Tan w/ Brown Skirt Zoas:

IMG_0058.jpg

Green Zoas w/ Candy Canes:

IMG_0059.jpg

Green Snow Covered Zoas:

IMG_0065.jpg

enjoy

nice setup, like aka_aquaman1329 said, u should clean your glass, an old toothbrush works great for mine, cant find a magnet cleaner small enough for a picotope.

good job

-Joseph

avalanche1201

yea I know...ive got alot of green on the right front corner of the tank. Its hard to clean that part b/c I dont want to keep hitting my leather w/ the magnet cleaner...Maybe ill try it at night

as for the front of the tank the coraline is being a biatch! its even hard to get off w/ my toothbrush so I gotta find a razor to do the trick

Use an old credit card scraping at an angle. It's all you'll ever need. For hard to reach spots, cut up credit card into the right size and rubberband to skewer or kabob sticks.

avalanche1201
Use an old credit card scraping at an angle. It's all you'll ever need. For hard to reach spots, cut up credit card into the right size and rubberband to skewer or kabob sticks.

good idea...ill have to find one 2morro

avalanche1201
Get a nimble (search forums for 'nimble') and a handful of chopsticks from your LAR (local asian restaurant).

already have one...works awesome except for the corners in the bow front but besides that I love it! but to get Coraline off it takes way to long to scrub...so either a razor blade or the credit card would work (still looken for a credit card)

but I would recommend the nimble 100%

• 2 weeks later...
avalanche1201

Just did a WC b/c my zoa's arn't opening as much and the skirts are changing colors. Need to run some water tests etc in case something is high, but the best way to fix that is do a WC..so I did a Gal water change. Gonna get some pics of the zoas soon...see if someone can help me out

avalanche1201

Here are the pictures of the zoa's. it is possible they are just morphing but so many morphing at one time?

Here are the before and after shots.

Before:

IMG_0058.jpg

Before:

IMG_0059.jpg

After:

IMG_0124.jpg

(the main colony up front, and the one climbing the rock behind the candy cane)

and here's just a mushroom eating shot

IMG_0119.jpg

avalanche1201
Here are the pictures of the zoa's. it is possible they are just morphing but so many morphing at one time?

Here are the before and after shots.

Before:

IMG_0058.jpg

Before:

IMG_0059.jpg

After:

IMG_0124.jpg

(the main colony up front, and the one climbing the rock behind the candy cane)

no ideas...? I'm really struggling on this one

Seems weird that you have lost so much livestock in such a

short amount of time. Honestly I think you are adding too much

too fast. Corals seems to be good, but to lose 2 or 3 fish and a

cleaner shrimp within such a short amount of time. I think before

you keep throwing anymore live stock in that you should try to

figure out why you are losing them. How often do you do water

changes? How often do you dose? How often do you test your

water? What kind of water are you using? ro/di?

My 3 gal pico has been going strong for 3 months.I havent lost

anything. I do weekly water changes, I dose once a week and

test a day later.

My livestock are:

1 Orchid Dottyback

1 Peppermint shrimp

1 Zebra Hermit

2 small nass snails

1 atlantic nass snail

1 turbo snail

I havent added any coral frags yet.

1325443620_06ea884f93.jpg

Lighting is a 24 watt PC with 50/50 lamp and

5 LED (3 blue, 2 white) moonlights

1 80gph power head

1 Red Sea Nano filter with a bag or Purigen

1 Red Sea Nano filter with pads.

Im actually getting ready to move, so im going to be tearing this down and all the

livestock will go into a 9 gal nano cube when we get to the new house.

I will most likely be selling this setup...

Anyway your one goby went MIA, how does a fish go MIA in a 3 gal.

Shouldnt be too hard to find it.

Also not sure if your tank is glass or acrylic. If its Acrylic just take some filter pad

to clean your acrylic, a credit card would scratch the **** out of it. I clean my

acrylic once a week.

Also if you use Purple Up, becareful..you just need a few drips.

Anything more will shoot your calcium through the roof ( I already

made this mistake)..1 capfull is for 50 gallons.

Good luck...

avalanche1201

Wow...thats a really nice set up. I moved the tank to college and I got some single edge razor blades to clean the glass.

I think the goby who went MIA was stressed from the shipping and either jumped or wasn't going well so the CUC got him...but I have replaced him w/ a yellow clown goby and he's awesome, just chills and perches all day

The firefish was a completely out of the blue. It was out and about and eating and then the next day it was down. I do water changes about once a week w/ Distilled...Ill be getting an RO/DI soon though....but I believe my water is stable b/c it checks out when I test it

Cool..Thanks!!!

Its better to use Ro/di...Actually I get my water from a place called

Water to Go. They have a 12 stage filtration systems that includes Ozone.

Its .49 cents a gallon or $2 for 5 gallons. Its quite pure and No phosphates.

Look them up on the internet..They are a nationwide franchise. We buy about

20 gallons a week. Cause I not only use it for my reef tanks...we also use it for

ourselves too. good stuff...and an awesome price too. Im sure there is one by you.

Im going to be selling my 3 gal setup soon and moving the livestock and Live rock

into a 9 gal nano cube.

I will let you know when I list it in the selling section.

avalanche1201

sounds good. The main reason for the RO/DI is because its better water and I can make it here. It is such a hassle at school walking and paying for water then carrying it back...it would be much easier to just buy a unit for me

You dont have a car?

You can go buy a 5 gallon container at lowes for $5 and take it to

water to go and have them fill it. For a 3 gal...that should last you

awile..

What I like about Water To Go is that its not only RO/DI, but filtered

through 12 stages removing all phosphates, heavy metals, contaminates

ect...and then 100% pure Ozone is added to it.

Archived