Top Shelf Aquatics

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

Gah, I can't believe mine is STILL sitting empty in my garage, going on 5 months now! :( I'm getting on it this weekend and next week though for sure finally!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIO 14HF is what I have in mine... You can also shoot an email to Ken @ OceanReeflections and he should be able to get you a replacement stock Finnex pump if you'd prefer to have another. I don't believe they are all that expensive...

• 2 months later...
NogaroBlueS4

So this has been dead a while, but, my stock pump just went out tonight so i threw a bunch of power heads in my tank, whats a good replacement i can do quick, i guess either tomorrow or the day after? or i can order a pump tomorrow and have it over nighted, any suggestions?

burtbollinger

ken will just direct you to sales@finnex.net

email them and tell them to send you an invoice on a new pump, priority shipping I'd at least see if they can try to ship faster...not suprised if they wont though.

in the meantime, I dont think the powerhead solution is a bad one...

I replaced mine a few months ago with a Maxijet 1800 utility pump. It's a bit of a tight squeeze when you first put it in but it's been running like a champ.

One other note if you're using the stock plumbing and choose to go this route, since it's a tight squeeze I replaced the stock hard tubing up to the "T" with a flexible vinyl line so it was easier to install.

NogaroBlueS4

Thanks you two, I just emailed finnex and im gonna go out and try find a MJ 1800 at a LFS.

I moved the heater from the rear to the main tank but I feel like the tank isnt warm enough :/

I'm a Dork Fish

Wow, I can't believe I never saw this thread in the countless researches that I have done. I also have a 30 G(2nd gen) M-tank. I have the first one built. They were showcasing it at IMAC in Chicago. I had to have it! LOL So it has been set up for a while now. Although as of now, most of the stuff in there is new. I decided to change it again. It isn't complete yet. I am gradually filling in the voids. It just takes time. This stuff aint cheap!!! I am going to put in a Tunze Nano stream to kick up the flow a bit. Hopefully, it wont be too much!!!

I will post post pics later..

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in,I ordered this tank last week with a 150w hqi, and it should be here in a few days. Ill be upgrading from a 24g nano cube, and moving all my livestock and rock into the new tank. I just had a question about the skimmer, as I have read it is not the best. Is there any tricks to getting it to work right? I will probably be upgrading to a tunze eventually but want to try the stock skimmer first. Any tips?

Seems to be a pretty nice system, cant wait to get it set up. I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Just checking in,I ordered this tank last week with a 150w hqi, and it should be here in a few days. Ill be upgrading from a 24g nano cube, and moving all my livestock and rock into the new tank. I just had a question about the skimmer, as I have read it is not the best. Is there any tricks to getting it to work right? I will probably be upgrading to a tunze eventually but want to try the stock skimmer first. Any tips?

Seems to be a pretty nice system, cant wait to get it set up. I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Read a bit through this thread. I believe I've entailed some tips/tricks through it. B)

Just some updates about my tank for any that still follow this thread... Since I finally got my tank all set back up in the middle of July after it had been sitting in my garage since December!! Just after I had tore it down when I moved in Dec., I thuroughly cleaned the tank out and re-siliconed the outside of the top frame to the glass. Where I was going to be putting the tank in my new house I didn't need to worry about it not being level as it would finally be on a solid floor. So anyways, with my all cleaned up Rio 14HF pump sitting for so long (I didn't clean it rightway when I tore down the tank) the impeller somehow stuck to the inner casing and will not work any longer. Bummer because I had redone the rear plumbing to better accomidate the pump output. One of these days here I'll soak it overnight in some vinegar to see if that unsticks it. In the meantime I went back to using the stock 475gph pump which I still hung onto. The skimmer still worked as well as always off the bat after too also sitting dry for months. I gave it a thurough cleaning up as well inside and out. The biggest change to this tank is the lighting. I ditched and sold the T5 fixture in favor of a used 150w MH Solana Discoball that I bought off a fellow NR member for a virtual steal of a price. The light is working out very well thus far! I also set up the tank as bare bottom this time around andthat's working out pretty well. Nothing else really new with this tank right now. On with a couple pics of the tank and set-up I guess...

FTS_setup_072509.jpg

FTS_08_23.jpg

FTSNT_08_23.jpg

Couple more questions...

1.how does the fuge light mount? does it come with legs or just sit there? what hours are you running the fuge light?

2. for those with the MH lighting, how long are you running the actnics? are you running them with the mh? (sorry for the dumb question but i currenlty have a sunpod, so im not used to running the t-5's)

3. Im going to be running a koralia 1 and a koralia nano to add more flow, combined with the return pump is this going to be enough flow? I have mostly lps with a few sps.

thanks in advance!

Couple more questions...

1.how does the fuge light mount? does it come with legs or just sit there? what hours are you running the fuge light?

2. for those with the MH lighting, how long are you running the actnics? are you running them with the mh? (sorry for the dumb question but i currenlty have a sunpod, so im not used to running the t-5's)

3. Im going to be running a koralia 1 and a koralia nano to add more flow, combined with the return pump is this going to be enough flow? I have mostly lps with a few sps.

thanks in advance!

1. The fuge light for the current model 30g Finnex I believe the fuge light has legs that seat it above the tank since it's in the middle of the back, not the side like mine is with the 1st generation tank.

2. I don't have actinics with my MH setup, but I'm not feeling a need for them. Of the people with the Finnex fixture, most will run the actinics along with the MH light and run the actinics about an hour before and after the MH is in operation. So say you run your MH from 10am to 5pm, then the actinics would be on from 9am to 6pm. This will give you a true dawn to dusk effect in where the moonlights will be on once the actinics are off.

3. The K-1 and K-nano will be plenty of flow. I used to run a a Rio 14HF pump in my Finnex for the main return in place of the stock pump (the Rio is rated at 840gph) and I also from the pics you can see, run a K-2 pump. With the Rio I was getting around 48x turnover rate of flow in the display! Now that I'm using the stock pump again, I'm getting more around 36x turnover which is still a bit, but by no means too much, so you're fine with flow. :) I've known people with 24g tanks that ran pumps rated at 2400gph which is 100x's turnover!! :o

running actintics @ 2 hours before MH.....all during MH....and @ 2 hours after MH

fuge light has plastic legs

flow will be perfect with your setup. I ran the identical until I got the MP10.

Sorry not done bugging you yet.... :D What hours are you running the fuge lights? The fuge I have setup in my nano-cube right now I run opposite of the main lights. Would you guys recommend puting sand in the fuge, why or why not?

same timer as the actintics...dont worry about the running opposite stuff....never have had a problem.

no sand in fuge...wish i hadnt (no particular reason)....a few big pieces of rubble (maybe) and chaeto is my recommendation.

I only keep chaeto in my fuge. The fuge light you can run for as long as you want. I run mine 9 hours a day, on one hour before my main light, and off one hour after main light turns off. This seems to work out well for me. I wouldn't run a reversed schedule unless you really need to, like if your pH drops low at night.

Where can you get these at? Been looking to get an all in one and looking at the thread I think this would be the tank for me.

Anyone use an MP10 in it? I didn't know if the waves would be a problem for the overflow.

I got mine from ocean reflections, they are on sale until the end of the month, and come with a free stand. I did get the last 150w hqi light fixture, so I dont know when they will have more of those in. BUt the new T-5 setup looks pretty sweet as well.

Tank showed up today, everything made the trip as it was well packaged. Everything looks awesome! I got the tank put together today and will get the stand set-up tomarrow as well as leak test the tank. This tank looks to be built really solid, great quality. Hoping to get everything from my nano-cube transferred into tank on saturday.

One question about the skimmer, there doesnt seem to be anyway to adjust anything on it, do the new ones come pre-dialed in or something like that? Or am I missing something.

I got mine from ocean reflections, they are on sale until the end of the month, and come with a free stand. I did get the last 150w hqi light fixture, so I dont know when they will have more of those in. BUt the new T-5 setup looks pretty sweet as well.

Tank showed up today, everything made the trip as it was well packaged. Everything looks awesome! I got the tank put together today and will get the stand set-up tomarrow as well as leak test the tank. This tank looks to be built really solid, great quality. Hoping to get everything from my nano-cube transferred into tank on saturday.

One question about the skimmer, there doesnt seem to be anyway to adjust anything on it, do the new ones come pre-dialed in or something like that? Or am I missing something.

There is a little knob near the outlet of the powerhead. Loosen it a bit. It's kind of finicky, but it skims fairly well once you dial it in properly.

Good luck with your new Finnex!

I'd definitely order the tank through Ocean Reeflections. Their customer service is 2nd to none!

The skimmer has a knob at the top of the output tube, providing they haven't changed the design of it...

Archived