Pod Your Reef

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

The tank is brand new. I set it up this week. I have had many skimmers and never one that put out so many micro bubbles into the display. I know some are due to the break in period but this is way too many. I guess I'll try some different configs to stop the bubbles. I might try some baffles in the return seciton or maybe in the skimer section itself.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it stop or does it just scale back a bit. I have a HO Prism I was thinking of using instead of the Finnex skimmer. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Mine stopped completely. Even with NO floss currently in the tray and NO sponge in use, the bubbles are very minimal to non-existant. :)

Mine stopped completely. Even with NO floss currently in the tray and NO sponge in use, the bubbles are very minimal to non-existant. :)

My skimmer has completely stopped any kind of effective skimming. It produces no skimmate, absolutely none, and I can't figure out why. I'm just kind of fed up with it. What is the best replacement skimmer? Tunze Nano 9002? Any other suggestions (I wan't to put the most powerful skimmer on there as possible).

Tunze 9002 is most ideal probably, I have one on my 10g custom AIO and I love it!! As for your Finnex skimmer, have you played with the control valve on it? Also make sure the pump and everything are clean as can be. When mine gets all mucked up and dirty, the skimmer won't do much...

Tunze 9002 is most ideal probably, I have one on my 10g custom AIO and I love it!! As for your Finnex skimmer, have you played with the control valve on it? Also make sure the pump and everything are clean as can be. When mine gets all mucked up and dirty, the skimmer won't do much...

Control valve? Why am I not seeing that...

mine didnt have any valves either. the only thing i could control was the air valve.

skimmer worked fine tho,but i did replace it to Aqua-C due to noise.

The control valve/knob is atop the spigot like output of the skimmer, where the water (and usually) microbubbles shoot out of. You have to adjust that for the fine-tuning of the skimmer to get it to skim properly to your liking. I can tell you where I have mine set at, but it probably might not work for your tank as each will be different where it should be set at.

i got the new fan for the fixture yesterday, as Phixion recommeded, the ball bearing one, costs only 3.50, 6 bucks with shipping. Holly crap, what a difference, i dont need to turn the volume up on my TV anymore and i keep coming up and checking on the fan to make sure its working because its so quite. Best 6 bucks I ever spent! I don't know why i didn't do this a year ago. Thanks Phixion for the recommendation!

No problem! Sounds like you ended up with a better fan than the one I sourced from the local Fry's. ;) But glad I could help there! Having a quiter (and better) fan is definitely a nice upgrade.

Flyingarmy, the tank setup looks really nice! B)

• 5 weeks later...

So I got my 30 M yesterday and Transferred over my 20H into. I love it. 2 Problems, micro bubbles are insane it took me forever to set the skimmer to the right setting though, will they go away? 2nd where can I get a replacement fan that is actually quite for my T5s? I pulled mine out it was so obnoxious. I'll post pics later.

So I got my 30 M yesterday and Transferred over my 20H into. I love it. 2 Problems, micro bubbles are insane it took me forever to set the skimmer to the right setting though, will they go away? 2nd where can I get a replacement fan that is actually quite for my T5s? I pulled mine out it was so obnoxious. I'll post pics later.

The skimmer needs time to break-in which can take a week or two, so be patient. As for the fan, any fan that's 40x40mm or 50x50mm and about 10-20mm thick should be fine as long as the electrical specs of it are close to or match those of the stock fan. I replaced mine after a while with a spare 50x50mm fan I had laying around here that I scavenged from a CPU heatsink...

Good save before the Tang police comes along... :P

Definitely lots of bubbles there, but it'll get better, no worries. Are you running any of the pads/sponges over the skimmer outlet tube end or the drip-tray with floss in it? Those can greatly cut down on the bubbles. In my tank I'm running neither and I don't get any bubbles unless it's skimming REAL heavy like right after I feed the tank. So far your tank it looking good though! B) I hear the Tunze 9002 is a good alternative skimmer for our tanks, the Remora should be fine too if you do decide to go that route. I have a 9002 in my 10g custom AIO tank and I love it!

Yeah, well have to see where I go from here, I am in the middle of christmas shopping for other people this was my gift to myself, I had to jump on the offer $300 for the tank and related equipment, amazing custom stand, 80 G of IO Salt, a bunch of supplements and a Drs. Blue Refractometer. Now I am out of money! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Finnex M-30 - My questions & comments

I have never seen one before until I received mine M-30 couple days ago. Leak test is currently OK

Bottom frame have 1-2 mm gap between glass and the plastic frame on all but one corner (corners only), and top frame 1-2 mm gap on all but one side (entire length).

Fuge divider (between fuge and fuge pipe area) have 1 inch crack on the top.

Black acrylic tank divider is not laser cut and looks rough, like it was cut with hand saw.

Fuge light is hot and when on legs is spilling lot of light into display area, even without legs this is too much light for display area at night (reverse light schedule). If you are running this fuge light all night how do your corals like it?

Main light (150W MH) have a huge (33cm x 10cm x 10cm) external ballast with 2 separate switches for two moonlight LEDs and MH. Two T5 share internal ballast which is hot and on opposite side of the fan. After couple of hours with lights, area above MH bulb isn’t any hotter than area above T5 ballast.

Fan CFM is unknown and on touch it doesn’t feel like is moving lot of air. One 50mm x 10?mm fan for entire light fixture might not be enough? Fan is connected to the T5 switch, which is also on the fixture. But fan is pretty quiet, less than 50 dB, which is lower than my SLM can go.

Light fixture came with four legs so tank glass top (two peaces) cannot be put on the tank. I will have to cut peace of legs or go topless. Those with MH what did you do?

I will measure temperature this weekend and see how much cooling I will need. I am running Eclipse Six at 24.4ºC-26.1ºC seasonal table and I am planning to do same on Finnex.

Main pump is noisy (mid 50’s dB) and with constant hum. When its on, it raises water level in display area ~1 cm. I will use VorTech MP20 so Finnex pump could be replaced with the one that is less noisy. Please suggest a quiet pump to me.

Finnex stand is nothing to be exited about but it serves the purpose. I might add a board along the entire back of the stand that would hopefully make stand more stable.

The front glass with black silicon looks very nice.

So far is OK and I could live with this tank in my living room.

Until I started messing with the skimmer that is.

This skimmer is peace of design and who ever did it should be shoot or something :).

Man, I can see myself pounding on this skimmer with the sledgehammer.

1. noise, high 50’s – low 60’s dB gurgling venturi sound

2. pump doesn’t turn on every time, so you have to take out skimmer and pull the pump to start it

3. aligning skimmer to the pump is not so easy unless both are outside of water

4. cup is leaking water – although this might stop once I mix the salt

This skimmer will be replaced with the Remora that I already have.

Should I remove that sponge and keep only small try filled with floss?

My LFS have the same rock ($8/lbs) that Bktomodachi placed into his tank, which I like a lot, but I am curious how hard will be to fix corals on such rock. I am planning to buy 15 lbs of this rock + 10-15 lbs base rock and then weeks later add some ~14 lbs of rock with corals that I have in the Eclipse. 2-3 lbs of sand from Eclipse will go into fuge with cheato. I haven’t decided yet if I will have bare bottom display or not but my son liked a blenny that was at LFS so much - perhaps I have no choice – please suggest type of sand.

I intend to keep Hydor 200W inline heater with Eheim canister filter staffed with ChemiPure and connected to PhosBan reactor.

Where exactly did you mount Azoo or Aquatek two fan unit?

I have been using TM salt but will probably switch to SeaChem Reef salt, is anyone using it?

Thanks

Wow, this is long post. Sorry for my poor English.

Edit: changed ballast size from mm to cm

wow, looks as you are in love with your tank :)

i did upgrade a lot of things on the tank, but still love it.

Replaced the skimmer with Remora,

I Dont run the fuge light at night

Replaced fixture fan with a ball-bearing - recommendation by Phixion.

Do have Azoo fan sitting on the fuge wall, but only during the summer

My Aquatek dual fan I mounted over the pump chamber which is the middle chamber on my 1st gen M-30 tank.

Sounds like the build of them is getting skimpier than from when I bought mine. On mine, all edges, cuts and everything is perfect! The skimmer, meh I've never really had complaints with it, it's not noisy to me with the silencer tube on it. The main return pump should NOT be noisy, mine was never any louder than a MaxiJet pump. If you're going to use a Vortech for main flow in the display, then you don't need a powerful pump for the return. I'd suggest maybe on of those MaxiJet utility pumps, or an MJ1200 might even suffice. I replaced mine with a Rio 14HF pump just to double my return flow, and it's twice as noisy as the light fixture fan, so it's pretty loud! But I've gotten well used to it.

And the fuge light DOES run warm, and does spill a bit of light into the display which kinda sucks... =/

Thanks guys.

I like the tank, its accessories that came with it that I don’t like; so let the healing begin :)

2008-12-08_rocks_healing.jpg

These rocks are very porous (14+6 lbs) and I am tempted not to move any of ~14 lbs that I have in Eclipse6, but would 20 lbs be enough for Finnex30?

Archived