Innovative Marine Aquariums

BKtomodachi's 15G Nano.

BKtomodachi

Hello all. I have finally been able to hook up the majority of the equipment for my 15G nano.

First, some background:

I am living in a dorm- so this tank really should not be difficult to move, although I think I'll be where I am for about 2 years at the least.

My goal for the tank is to eventually get it to the point where I don't have to do anything on a daily basis, and could leave the tank for a week or more without a problem.

Here is a basic equipment list:

• Vortech MP20

• Eheim 1260 return from sump/fuge

• Stealth heater

• Aqua-C Remora nano HOB protein skimmer

• Tek 4x24w T5HO fixture

• 1x 1w LED moonlight

• Current USA 1/15HP chiller

• AquaController Jr.

• JBJ ATO with AquaLifter

I think I'll leave this initial post simple, and get to any questions as they arise.

Pictures

FTS:

IMG_1497.jpg?t=1225580527

View of my overflow:

IMG_1510.jpg?t=1225580634

Vortech MP20:

IMG_1513.jpg?t=1225580656

Control center:

IMG_1514.jpg?t=1225580677

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments everyone! The water is still a bit cloudier than I would like, because of the sand. I just added the rock this morning.

Whats bulbs are you using?

Trying to compare my color to others.

I am using:

• 1x GE 6500K daylight
  • 1x Giesemann Pure Actinic
  • 1x UV Actinic White
  • 1x ATI Blue Plus

Hope that helps. I would say the color representation (at least on my screen) is accurate.

Dang out of the wood work! Nicely done!!!!! Tons of potential!!!!

Alright I can go back to making fun of tankless people in the lounge now that you have a system! :P

Dang out of the wood work! Nicely done!!!!! Tons of potential!!!!

Alright I can go back to making fun of tankless people in the lounge now that you have a system! :P

Thanks!

I added my JBJ topoff unit today, running an aqualifter, with an extremely dilute solution of kalk.

Looks good BK!

I'm curious to see how corals fare under that light.

I have been contemplating a switch to T5 to save some electricity, but I am reticent to bail on MH, which has served me well for 16+ years of reefing. Old habits die hard, but my electricity bill might be sufficient incentive to try new things.

Hello all. I have finally been able to hook up the majority of the equipment for my 15G nano.

First, some background:

I am living in a dorm- so this tank really should not be difficult to move, although I think I'll be where I am for about 2 years at the least.

My goal for the tank is to eventually get it to the point where I don't have to do anything on a daily basis, and could leave the tank for a week or more without a problem.

Here is a basic equipment list:

• Vortech MP20

• Eheim 1260 return from sump/fuge

• Stealth heater

• Aqua-C Remora nano HOB protein skimmer

• Tek 4x24w T5HO fixture

• 1x 1w LED moonlight

• Current USA 1/15HP chiller

• AquaController Jr.

• JBJ ATO with AquaLifter

I think I'll leave this initial post simple, and get to any questions as they arise.

Pictures

FTS:

IMG_1497.jpg?t=1225580527

View of my overflow:

IMG_1510.jpg?t=1225580634

Vortech MP20:

IMG_1513.jpg?t=1225580656

Control center:

IMG_1514.jpg?t=1225580677

Thanks for looking!

i had a dream about that type of set, i love the gear!

gulfsurfer101

+1 on that, you got some nice hardware on that little system. The Ajr. is pretty high on my what to get for christmas list. Should look nice after you get it stocked.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

I'm curious to see how corals fare under that light.

I have been contemplating a switch to T5 to save some electricity, but I am reticent to bail on MH, which has served me well for 16+ years of reefing. Old habits die hard, but my electricity bill might be sufficient incentive to try new things.

I am also interested in coral growth here- I'm actually almost worried that it could be a bit too much for some. It’s extremely bright! It got warm here again today, and I don't have my chiller hooked up. The tank just a ~1.5 degree temp. fluctuation today. It’s just rock, I'm not too worried about it.

I have used MH on my previous tank, and I must say I do prefer the T5s. I can actually rest my arm on the fixture, and my room isn't so hot.

That's an awesome setup. What are your plans for that thing as far as livestock goes?

I'm actually not entirely sure what I'd like to do. I enjoy watching jawfish, and I see bluespot & dusky available here pretty regularly. I have also been contemplating a single Serranocirrhitus latus [aka sunburst or fathead anthias], as they don't fit the typical anthias profile, and do well alone or in smaller groups.

fathead-1-web.jpg

*taken from www.advancedaquarist.com.

On another note, I took the doors off my stand permanently today. The hinges were just bothering me too much! I am going to try to rig some sort of curtain system up.

Wow I like your setup. Any pics of the sump?

I will try and grab some pics of the sump next time I take some. Its extremely utilitarian.

I'm also dealing with microbubbles, which are driving me insane.

That fathead anthias sounds interesting. I might consider that when I get to stocking my new project. Thanks for the tip! :)

You're welcome! Thanks.

Nice work BK so what are your Coral stocking plan Mixed reef, SPS, Biotope?

I think I'm going mixed reef, with an emphasis on SPS and zoanthids. The LFS has three huge (5-6"+) aquacultured gold teardrop clams, and they have been in there for almost a year. One of those will be coming home with me for sure.

whatever happen to your big tank?

I had a big tank? The last big tank I had was a 55, and that was FW. I haven't had any tank for a couple years.

On another note, the diatom bloom has begun. I have spotted several bristle worms, but they are small. I hate them when they get bigger.

Archived