Innovative Marine Aquariums

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

The skimmer should have came with one. :(

I don't have a number unfortunately, just their email.

No prob! Last question I swear...for tonight.

The skimmer was pretty filthy when I got it. There are little white calcium deposit dots all over the outside and inside of it. I'm pretty sure that you can't take it apart to get to the ones on the inside, so what is the best solution to soak it in to easily clean off the litttle calcium deposits? I'm guessing vineagar. Please let me know!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

Have a build thread going ...but...thought I should make of official by adding it here. Modded the back chambers. Thanks Phixion for the inspiration.

Finnex_Rear_Chambers.jpg

Finnex_FTS_07_06_08.jpg

Finnex_Hood_07_06_08.jpg

Finnex_Hood_Detail_07_06_08.jpg

Finnex_HDR2.jpg

I added my CUC yesterday....about 30 days or so until the big transfer.

Ok...now I feel like an official member.

Mark

lol, welcome to the club! B) Yeah, definitely belongs in here butchered up or not! I really envy how your's is turning out.

masterbuilder

I saw that new Finnex light. Man...thats just about perfect. I wish it was released a month ago before I got my Aquactinics...I would have been all over it.

I saw that new Finnex light. Man...thats just about perfect. I wish it was released a month ago before I got my Aquactinics...I would have been all over it.

I was just thinking about that for your tank build too!

• 2 weeks later...
burtbollinger

anyone else experiencing a bubbly film covering the surface of the fuge water?

the flow seems ok, but its a brownish small bubbled film on top.....the fuge has sand and chaeto.

i am running a surface skimmer on main tank intake, which does mess with the flow a bit i guess....

I notice a slight film, but it's more-less clear, I don't have any mud or substrate in my fuge though, just strictly chaeto. I DO however have TONS of salt creep buildup on the top of my chaeto when it starts growing above the water surface, lol! The water flow through the outlet grate all flows UNDER the surface film... =/

Do you want something to keep fish from jumping out or are you thinking more along the lines of a canopy?

If you want to keep fish in, eggcrate or pond mesh netting are pretty common solutions.

• 3 weeks later...

where do you get "SLS TEK clip-on reflectors" i cant seem to find them

I just "upgraded" my 4x24 T5HO fixture by adding in a pair of SLS TEK clip-on reflectors to the 10,000K daylight bulbs. Definitely gives out a bit more intense light, though it's a tight fit with the Actinic bulbs, and the reflectors cover up the moon LEDs completely. =/ But it's a nice upgrade I think though. I'll try to get some pics of it when I can. With the skimmer fix kit, I only put the air-intake "silencer" on the air line to quiet it down a bit and the skimmer seems to be making a more frothy foam now with the silencer in place.
where do you get "SLS TEK clip-on reflectors" i cant seem to find them

http://www.reefgeek.com But I bought mine over a year and a half ago. They have since been selling the TEK 2 reflectors which won't work because they are "3 wide rather than the "2 wide like my TEK originals are and so they won't fit being "1 too wide each one. You gotta find the TEKs that are "2 wide or similar reflectors that are "2 wide... Maybe Ebay?

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all! I have been lurking for while doing some research on the FInnex 30. Thanks for all the previous post and suggestions. Always better to learn from others before diving into a new system. The Finnex looks like the best fit for me as an AIO system so I just ordered my Finnex 30 today from Aquacave. Nice online coupon and free shipping for less than $300.00. I ordered the tank only version. I already have a 24" Solaris that I won from a raffle at MACNA XX in ATL that will be going on this system. I am going to stick with the stock skimmer and pump for now and see how I like their performance. I was thinking of going BB in the display with a DSB and cheato in the fuge. But I might go with a 3" SB in the display with LRR and cheato in the fuge. My main occupants in the display are going to be a 8" Rose Nem and 2 hosting Maroon Clowns. It's going to be a mixed reef and a few small squa/crocea clams. With the Solaris I can support any corals that I have in my 160 Cube so it's about time for me to start fragging. Looking forward to receiving the Finnex and setting this system up. I opted to make my own stand from reading all the issues with the Finnex stand. Thanks agian for all the pre-advice! What out for abuild thread that I'll post up soon!

did you have to squeeze them to fit in? i spent well over an hour last night trying to fit the 2 inch reflectors in the fixture. Hopefully when i get home today nothing broke, because it seem very very tight fit there.

http://www.reefgeek.com But I bought mine over a year and a half ago. They have since been selling the TEK 2 reflectors which won't work because they are "3 wide rather than the "2 wide like my TEK originals are and so they won't fit being "1 too wide each one. You gotta find the TEKs that are "2 wide or similar reflectors that are "2 wide... Maybe Ebay?

Nope, didn't have to squeeze anything to fit them. Just popped out the daylight bulbs, clipped the reflectors onto them and popped them back in. The width between the 2 reflectors is about exactly the width of the bulbs though, so the middle actinic just barely fits between the reflector ends, but it's still easy to access.

:)i guess i missed that part, i bought 4, and spend almost 2 hours to install them and actually did manage to stuff them in, but when i came home next day, 2 bulbs were out. Started to play with it again, gave up and just left two reflectors in :)

It's all good! Did you get the bulbs back working? Always nice to have spares though, but there's always Ebay too or other Finnex owners. ;)

bulbs yes, all working. 2 extra reflectors tho.

Another question to you, did you ever thought of replacing the cooling fan on the fixture? I'm thinking about it lately, just dont know if there are quieter fans out there

I did actually replace mine. Only because the stock one is crappy and started sounding like a jet plane... I happened to have a generic brand fan sitting here from a CPU fan/heatsink unit, that I used to replace the stock one with. Make sure whatever fan you get matches the specs of the stock one and get one that's ball-bearing, the stock is just a DC brushless type. It's 12v DC and rated at 0.12A The fan is 40mm but I used a 50mm one and it works out well and is quiet.

hey guys just wanted to let you know that aquactinics actually made some T5 reflectors as well and i believe they are also 2" wide.... just an idea :)

Archived