SaltCritters.com

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

Whoa...should have been checking this thread more often. See we got a few more folks here preparing to humiliate the rest of the nano world with their superior equipment selection and obviously refined taste.

Love the rock….Rberga1

Mark

Thanks guys! The live rock is Bali. It came at a high price though, $12/lb...but it was nice to take all the LR submerged under the LFS saltwater which is only 20 min away from my house for minimal die off and no tank cycle.

Also, the stock Finnex skimmer works great for me unlike others.

Also, the stock Finnex skimmer works great for me unlike others.

Glad to hear someone else besides me has good luck with it. ;)

Glad to hear someone else besides me has good luck with it. ;)

I tried mine one time and it shot foam right into and out of the cup. It took me a while to find a part inside the skimmer was broke allowing the water from the pump to shoot straight up.

I probably should have asked for a replacement, but I wanted to use the BakPak instead anyway.

What about DIYing the prop with Enkamat? I bet it would really put some foam out.

Latest FTS. Not much change except growth. Moved an acan and my new pygmy has settled in nicely. Has not bothered any corals. Added a blasto. SPS is really starting to color up nicely.

I guess the fluorescent yellow appearing on the rock is the beginnings of Coralline?

160479IMG_7837.JPG

160479IMG_7873.JPG

160479IMG_7816.JPG

What about DIYing the prop with Enkamat? I bet it would really put some foam out.

I tried that, but it didn't work for me. The prop wouldn't spon with it on... =/ I probably put the Enka on incorrectly though...

So far the tank is doing great. No outbreaks of unwanted algae and the macro I have (some type of purple) has even slowed down in growth since starting the vinegar in the kalkwasser doser. This is ph controlled in case I had not mentioned it before.

Still using the Prodibio and the NeoZeo (NeoZeo though at a much slower rate since trying too much at once sent my zoanthids into distress-they are all OK now).

WIll get a pic of the tank later once lights on. And I notice the rock is finally starting to get some coralline. Yippee! The coralline on a couple pieces in the tank must be spreading finally.

Here is my latest addition.

160479IMG_8302.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
So far the tank is doing great. No outbreaks of unwanted algae and the macro I have (some type of purple) has even slowed down in growth since starting the vinegar in the kalkwasser doser. This is ph controlled in case I had not mentioned it before.

Still using the Prodibio and the NeoZeo (NeoZeo though at a much slower rate since trying too much at once sent my zoanthids into distress-they are all OK now).

WIll get a pic of the tank later once lights on. And I notice the rock is finally starting to get some coralline. Yippee! The coralline on a couple pieces in the tank must be spreading finally.

Here is my latest addition.

160479IMG_8302.JPG

DId you say you are using 2 MP10's in your tank? I am looking at one and thought that would be plenty.

DId you say you are using 2 MP10's in your tank? I am looking at one and thought that would be plenty.

I started with one but did not feel it was quite enough but I have a bit of rock and wanted to go sps, which I have been working toward. I do not think 1 MP10 is enough water movement for the 30gl, but I am trying to duplicate a natural reef.

1 Might be enough if there was little rock and lots of space around the perimeter of the tank. 1500gph sounds like a lot, but the pumps are wide disbursement so...

On Reef crest setting it is really a powerful flow, but it is too strong in one area for me. I like the long wave pulse which gets all the corals throughout the tank pulsing back and forth instead of in one direction.

kellerexpress
Awesome Keller! B) How easy/difficult was it to get your BSJF to take shelter in your constructed burrow for it??

Well I tried 2 methods to introduce the fish to the condo, the first being putting the fish in some tuperware upside down over the condo so he had no where else to go, but he escaped through a crack. So I caught him again and the 2nd method worked well-which was to place the fish in a plastic zip-lock bag with one of the corners cut out, and then I lowered the bag into the tank placing the cut-out corner over the entrance to the condo, gave him a gentle nudge, and into the condo he went! He has been there ever since, a friend used this same method with success. He is really fun to watch, he uses rubble to board up the entrance at night, and then keeps an eye on the back door.

Archived