inTank Media Baskets

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the tank has been up and running a week, livestock is looking great. However I have been having problems with my 150w hqi ballast, it keeps shutting off my MH after like 45 minutes of operation. I thought it may be overheating, so I moved it to a more open location, and tried plugging it in to its own power outlet, and it is still happening. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas? I am currently waiting to hear back from finnex about it...

update: FInnex is sending me a replacement ballast, the only way I can keep it on is if I have a large fan blowing directly on the ballast, really kind of annoying, but at least I can keep my MH on that way until the new one shows up. And now some FTS!

Everything was transferred from my 24g nano-cube. Please ignore the microbubble, skimmer still hasnt broke in yet. Pretty happy with the scape right now, there is a nice cave behind the green brain. I cant decide if I need some more rock though, I may get some more and build up the right side some more and make it higher. What do you think? More rock or leave it how it is?

post-36892-1254352842_thumb.jpg

post-36892-1254352858_thumb.jpg

update: FInnex is sending me a replacement ballast, the only way I can keep it on is if I have a large fan blowing directly on the ballast, really kind of annoying, but at least I can keep my MH on that way until the new one shows up. And now some FTS!

Everything was transferred from my 24g nano-cube. Please ignore the microbubble, skimmer still hasnt broke in yet. Pretty happy with the scape right now, there is a nice cave behind the green brain. I cant decide if I need some more rock though, I may get some more and build up the right side some more and make it higher. What do you think? More rock or leave it how it is?

Hope I can get my Finnex to look half that nice. More rock for more corals does sound good, but the aquascaping as it is looks pretty nice.

I opened my ballast up just out of curiosity. I had hoped it would be an electronic but for the weight I figuered it wasn't.

Would have been nice if Finnex would have used electronic ballasts. Guess it would have cost more though.

AWESOME looking tank, Kellerexpress! B) I'm definitely jealous of the scape!

I have not tried the Euro-Reef, but I do know they DO make one specifially for our Finnex 30g tank. It's nice because it utilizes their excellent metal mesh impeller wheel in the skimmer pump.

kellerexpress

ya that skimmer looks pretty cool from the reviews I had read on other tanks, but so far I havent found anyone how has it on a finnex specifically. I have been in contact with Robbert at Euro-Reef, as I have been considering trying out this skimmer. Its going to be this one or the tunze nano.

Here is a couple pics he emailed me of the Finnex version. The pump mounts on the bottom.

post-36892-1254523224_thumb.jpg

post-36892-1254523236_thumb.jpg

If they are planning on being at the RAP show here in So. Cali the end of this month, I should contact Robert to see if he can bring a display model of that skimmer out to show me as I'm very curious about it myself as well. Not that my stock skimmer isn't gettin the job done, but the E/R skimmer sounds like the best alternative bet. ;)

Hello,

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have been away from reef tanks for about 4 years. I just got back into the addiction with a finnex 30 m tank. seems like a pretty nice tank. just put it up and am on the 2nd day of its cycle. . I have 15 pounds of old base rock and 15 pounds of LR. I also have about 15 pounds of live sand.

the tank came with a skimmer. the finnex one. I will probably upgrade that one later with a remora or a tunze.

I have the 250w hqi and 2 36w t-5's, it also has 2 small moon lights mounted in the set up. pretty neat.

when I got the tank from shipping I had to hook up the fan to the lights because the factory guy never did that part I guess. the wires were still in plastic. hehehe.

I also had to adjust the refugium light because it was crammed in to a tight space and done in a hurry I think. those two things only took about a half hour and wasnt too much of an issue.

the skimmer venturi nipple was broken tho. so I am waiting on that part from finnex now. no problems getting a replacement. just a quick e mail.

I am thinking of getting a chiller in there soon. it doesnt want to get below 82degrees even in front of a cool breeze from the cooler. Another reason to get AC next year! YAY!

I had hoped to do an in wall with this tank and a couple of sattelite 4 gallons around it. wife won she did say I can do it when I finish the living room remodel

I will pop a few pictures in here in a little bit. the tank is pretty barren except for the whitish looking rock. maybe in a month I will have some more color in it.

nice to meet you .

have a good day

fearlessness is better than a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. the length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago.

Decided the tank was ready for a few corals. I had already purchased 2 acans a while back and went to pick them up and of course saw another I just had to have so now 3 acans in my Finnex 30gl.

Also picked up a few zoanthid frags. One is not opening (red and green looking) and you can see the other 2 next to the acan.

Specs on the tank.

30gl Finnex with back chamber removed.

MP10 (another arriving Friday)

Maxijet 400 w/Sureflow mod (newest MP10 will replace it)

Stealth 100wt heater

Bakpak skimmer

Phosban reactor with Purigen in it

10gl sump with live rock and skimmer, heater, phosban reactor in it (want to get some cheato but can't find it locally)

150wt Phoenix DE

Crystal Sea bioassy

I will get a picture of the tank later. After seeing all the nice rock work here I want to redo mine. It is just a pile with hardly any shelves to put corals without them hanging off or fish to swim through it.

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

The other zoanthids opened. Anyone know what the name of them is? They looked more colorful at the fish store. They have heavy actinics to make the corals look best.

IMG_6489.JPG

The 2nd acan is SWEET! Rainbows are increasingly more difficult to find these days, good score there!!

Didn't know that. THe girl at the fish store called it a watermelon, but I think she makes up new names for everything.

Here is my newest addition. My alk and calcium is dead on and I have it right under the metal halide so hopefully it will do well. I hate to say that I paid $30 for it. I wanted to try out sps and I thought it looked nice thus paying so much for it.

IMG_6555.JPG

slow down....you might be going too quick adding SPS....

Probably right. I just wanted to see how sps would do. I am mostly interested in the acans and zoanthids. Fish I am going to wait on as I cannot decide what to get. About every fish I think I like I find one or more problematic issues with it. Either grows too big, not 100% reef safe, needs to be fed several times a day, jumper or something.

My next buys for corals though are zoanthids and acans.

I will hold off though on the sps from now on. If this one doesn't look like it is going to be doing OK I will tank it back to the fish store. Its yellow polyps are out right now. Looks pretty cool.

Got my other MP10 today. I have them both opposing each other near the top/front/sides and set on long pulse wave. It is awesome the flow and waves they are making. I think this is going to be a heck of a tank. The few corals I have seem to really be enjoying the flow patterns.

MP10s rule in Finnex tanks.

kellerexpress

So its been 3 weeks now and my stock skimmer has yet to produce any foam or skimmate, what a joke. I know it has to break in, but you would think it would do something by now. Micro bubbles are minimal now, but not totally gone. Ill probably give it another week, then throw it in the trash. Any advice on this skimmer? does it really take this long to kick in? Ive got a spare maxi-jet laying around, do you think a more powerful pump would help at all?

I never tried mine. It didn't look too well constructed and I was able to get a used Bakpak for next to nothing which is doing a good job. Sorry it isn't working. I have heard good things about several other brands that will fit in the chamber. Can't recall any of the names off hand. One is something 9002, then there is one that I think is saphire something and remora is another one. Sorry, don't know a lot of brands. The Bakpak does OK but I did a couple mods so it would make smaller and more bubbles or I probably wouldn't buy one new when there are others that have better reviews than it.

Drove a ways for a tank sale out and picked up a few zoanthid frags. They were kind of pricey not even counting the gas to get there and back. Problem is he said that these are Purple Deaths, but they do not look purple at all. I still got them though. He said they would color back up once they acclimated to my lighting. Could they be a look alike? If they are no big deal. I still got some others I really like.

IMG_6668.JPG

Here are some I fell in love with. I forgot the name.

IMG_6637.JPG

Few others but they have not opened yet.

Here is a latest pic of acans I got.

IMG_6618.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

Looks like Finnex owners thread is in the top running right now for viewings :naughtydance: . 41,770 with Cadlights running close behind. I knew had gone with the right tank. lol. just kidding Cadlight and other All-In-One owners. :rolleyes:

Archived