ReefCleaners.org

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kellerexpress

Well, I broke down and bought a tunze 9002 skimmer today, got tired of waiting for the finnex skimmer to do something. Since my skimmer hasnt done jack yet I have pretty much been going skimmerless the past 3 1/2 weeks, and with 5 fish and a fairly high bioload I didnt want to wait any longer. Cant wait to get it up and running. I am still thinking of trying the euro-reef, but the tunze will have to do until I decide what to do about that. Ill get some more pics when it arrives. The new ballast finnex sent me has been working like a champ, and with the new skimmer on the way I think ill have most of the kinks worked out of this tank.

Sorry to hear about your skimmer problems keller. I plugged mine in and the next day the bubbles were gone and the skim cup has been filling nicely every day.

When I first got my tank I had a broken nipple on the pump skimmer that they call the aerator. finnex sent a replacement and it was different than the one that was shipped with the tank. i used the rplacement and it was not that great. i used the part that came with the tank and it worked great right away. The original was a glass tube with a black spongey material in it. the replacement was a black tiny bulbish thing. te glass tube aerator works well.

just thought i would toss that out there for all you other finnex people.

kellerexpress

does anyone know where I could get a locline splitter type connection for the return on this tank? I would like to direct some flow behind some of the rocks to keep detritus from settling back there..

Sorry to hear about your skimmer problems keller. I plugged mine in and the next day the bubbles were gone and the skim cup has been filling nicely every day.

When I first got my tank I had a broken nipple on the pump skimmer that they call the aerator. finnex sent a replacement and it was different than the one that was shipped with the tank. i used the rplacement and it was not that great. i used the part that came with the tank and it worked great right away. The original was a glass tube with a black spongey material in it. the replacement was a black tiny bulbish thing. te glass tube aerator works well.

just thought i would toss that out there for all you other finnex people.

Not sure why they sent you the original aeriator. Mine came with that one, but it was SUPER loud and slurrpy sounding and was so-so in performance. The "skimmer fix-kit" that all owers of the 1st gen tanks got shipped free of charge from Finnex included the clear sponge filled tube one which is really just a silencer type of air-intake. But the skimmer I couldn't even hear anymore after that and it was skimming great once I put it on. All this stuff should be included automatically with the current tanks that are sold but i still can't believe they have the bulbous shaped intakes, BLEH!

Anyways, not sure why I'm one of the few that have gotten the skimmer to work, and work well! Also of note, I've noticed that air flows better through the aeriator silencer thing in a particular direction. You'll have to remove it from the skimmer, and blow through it to find the side that's easier to blow through. When you've found it, the harder side is where you attach the air line to the skimmer pump and the easier side is where it sucks in the ambient air from outside. This may help some of you out with the stock skimmer, then again my silencer could just be FUBAR'ed, lol! As for the bulb one, it's actually adjustable I've discovered. It's just annoyingly loud and noisey. :(

Keller, most online plaes like MarineDepot, DrFosterSmith or PetSolutions should carry that. If not, check your LFS, they for sure should have some. I can't remember where I got mine from, but I have one on my tank. You all would laugh how I have it attached though since I didn't feel like drilling out the return line hole in the false wall to put a REAL bulkhead on. :lol::P

Anyone out there ever rip the sump/refugeum area out of their 1st gen Finnex and convert to a conventional sump in the stand? Or maybe fabricate a smaller box for a skimmer enclosure on the rear wall?

Yes, there is a guy here named "Bird" that pulled out the back of the tank, although I believe I read a couple of days ago he modded it and put it back in. I am sure you could look at his posts and topics through his profile page and find it.

Christianjock07

Greetings Finnex owners!

I just picked up a used 1st gen 30g yesterday with the 150hqi/t5 lighting system with aqua C remora skimmer.

The previous owner did a touch-up silicon job along the top edges to prevent the water from leaking beneath the plastic rim while there was water in the tank. It worked but needed some cosmetic touching up, so now I'm redoing the silicon job now that the tank is empty. I've gotten the plastic rim off the tank and have spent a couple of hours taking the silicon from the touch-up off.

While doing this, I've noticed something i've never noticed on any of my other tanks. The glass walls aren't actually molded/glued together, but rather held together with black silicon/rubber. On the right side wall there is a noticable gap 1mm at least between the front glass pane and the right side glass pane. The only thing bonding this is the black silicon, which when I applied some pressure, did move slightly. I'm wondering if when I put the plastic trim back on whether I should run more beads of silicon up the seams of these two panes. I will be siliconing the plastic rim back on and figure once this is attached it will reinforce the sides to prohibit any flex.

Also, another thing I'm looking to do is to modify the refuge area. I dislike the 1-3mm gap that separates the fuge from the back wall. I had to pull a bunch of old chaeto out from between the fuge/wall once I got the top rim off. Any folks modified this or have suggestions on how to go about sealing this area?

Finally, the previous owner didn't clean the tank before I recieved it and there is quite a bit of sand in the bottom of the return chamber. I assume this sand got sucked in through the port hole that leads into the chamber from the false wall. Would I have problems if I chose to plug up the port holes and drill holes higher up to keep sand from being sucked in?

I've read through all of this threads and Phixions thread along with a few other Finnex threads over the past couple of weeks and remember some mods, such as replacing the stock pump with Rio 12 or 14, or a quiet one. but other than that, I can't recall any other mods done to the Gen 1 other than using locklines, nor have I seen any issues with the panels not meeting.

If anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chris

edit: One more thing - Anyone have a link to the installation instructions? Just want to ensure I'm hooking everything up correctly. Finnex.net doesn't have the instructions.

Update

Reinstalled the back wall. Removed refugium. Going with ULNS instead.

160479IMG_7001.JPG

BakPak skimmer now is the return to tank

160479IMG_6999.JPG

rock set up

160479IMG_7019.JPG

top off and pumps

160479IMG_7004.JPG

added to a phosban reactor with a Maxijet 400. Flush full flow 2 times week

160479IMG_7311.JPG

additives

160479IMG_7309.JPG

corals

160479IMG_7301.JPG

160479IMG_7297.JPG

160479IMG_7285.JPG

160479IMG_7269.JPG

160479IMG_7263.JPG

160479IMG_7258.JPG

fish

160479IMG_7233.JPG

160479IMG_7221.JPG

Whoa sweet, you have Grandis palys!! :o

Which? The Green Marble polyps? If that is the ones you wouldn't believe what they cost. He didn't charge for 4 smaller ones though or I would have had to pass on them. Crazy the price of corals.

Which? The Green Marble polyps? If that is the ones you wouldn't believe what they cost. He didn't charge for 4 smaller ones though or I would have had to pass on them. Crazy the price of corals.

Yup, those be the ones!! They are called Grandis Paly because of their huge size. Yes they are pricey. At a local trade show we had here in So. Cali this weekend I saw them selling from various vendors anywhere from $10 - $20 per polyp. I've seen them as high as $25 before though. That's nothing though, true Purple Hornet polyps are around $200 a piece right now!! omgomgomg WAY too rich for my poor blood, lol!!

Yup, those be the ones!! They are called Grandis Paly because of their huge size. Yes they are pricey. At a local trade show we had here in So. Cali this weekend I saw them selling from various vendors anywhere from $10 - $20 per polyp. I've seen them as high as $25 before though. That's nothing though, true Purple Hornet polyps are around $200 a piece right now!! omgomgomg WAY too rich for my poor blood, lol!!

$200 for one polyp? No way. That is crazy!

Chris,

Welcome! Unfortunately I'm not going to be much help with your questions.

I don't get any sand in my back area through those little flow holes. Eyeballing it, I'd say my sand bed is about an inch below the holes. Maybe the previous owner had a deeper sand bed than I do, or maybe banked sand against the back somehow.

I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to plug those holes. I see holes like that in diagrams advertising different setups and such. My guess is that they help keep the deeper areas of the sump areas from developing dead water flow pockets.

Tom

Chris,

Welcome! Unfortunately I'm not going to be much help with your questions.

I don't get any sand in my back area through those little flow holes. Eyeballing it, I'd say my sand bed is about an inch below the holes. Maybe the previous owner had a deeper sand bed than I do, or maybe banked sand against the back somehow.

I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to plug those holes. I see holes like that in diagrams advertising different setups and such. My guess is that they help keep the deeper areas of the sump areas from developing dead water flow pockets.

Tom

This is probably true. With my tank I had to cover up the holes into the pump chamber, all others I left open. I had to cover them because back when I had a jawfish, it built it's burrow near the center of the back wall and the sand it was spitting out was going into the pump chamber and then being sucked through the return pump and strewn all over the tank and everything. Think a freshly shaken Sno-Globe... =/ But since the pump is at the bottom and water comes in over the top in the back, there wouldn't be a dead area created by covering up just those holes. I never had any issues when I had it like that anyways. Now my tank is bare bottom and I don't have those holes covered up anymore.

Christianjock07

Thanks for the Replies!

Actually, now I'm coming up with the plan to rip the false wall and fuge area out and do a complete remod. Although i'm sure i'd ok with just going with what is there, I think in the long run I would be happier with a multi-return system.

I had been following masterbuilder's build for quite a while before i ever decided to registar and I'm thinking of doing a setup similar to his. I plan on having 3 separate returns and a main overflow chamber which can house any supplements I may want.

However, I do like the idea of 2 returns on each side of the tank, but I am also trying to explore options to still have a refuge in the center to house some cheato. So I'm still in the thought stage while I continue to clean up the tank.

Any thoughts on back chamber modifications?

NeoZeo set up.

Maxijet 400 and Maxijet 1200. The 400 is running continuously while the 1200 comes on 10 minutes day (Reefkeeper controlled) to flush the Phosban reactor holding the NeoZeo.

Cut a slot in a 1/2" Locline glued in partition stops back-flow from each pump into other. Maxijets fit perfectly tight into 1/2" Locline round nozzles.

160479IMG_7463.JPG

160479IMG_7465.JPG

Set up is doing awesome. I had also changed the first chamber so that instead of the flow going in and over it now goes in and under. This way I can use a prefilter.

160479IMG_7615.JPG

Acans are spitting out new heads. They are so huge and puffed up it is almost frightening.

160479IMG_7582.JPG

160479IMG_7656.JPG

SPS colors are looking better than when I first got them.

160479IMG_7631.JPG

160479IMG_7620.JPG

Zoanthids are putting out new polyps already too.

PRODIBIO ROCKS!

And since running one MP10 on short wave and one on Reef crest, the corals have been going nuts. Best investment I have ever made while keeping reef tanks.

Love that last FTS! Tank it looking great!! B)

I gotta get a fresh FTS up here soon of my tank with the new Phoenix MH bulb I put in this past weekend...

Hello all... I too am now a proud owner of the Finnex M-Tank!

Finnex MTG-2402Q

Digital Aquatics RKL integrated into stand door

Digital Aquatics ATO

Azoo 2 Cooling Fan Unit (Keeps temps at 77 deg even with halide on)

20lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink (Seeded with some live sand from my 75gl thats been running for 6yrs)

30lbs Bali LiveRock (Cured from LFS with plenty of Corraline Algae.)

All saltwater taken from my 75gl during water change of said tank.

2 Paired Black Oscellaris Clownfish

Six-Line Wrasse for any baby bristleworms

2 Peppermint Shrimps for some Aiptasia that came with the LR (Luckily these shrimp liked Aiptasia cause they're all gone)

3 Margarita snails

6 Hermit crabs

Been running just about a month and a half now. Below are some pics of it after running for 2 weeks. My plan is to make this into an anemone/black clown tank.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

Archived