Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

It never ceases to amaze me what a difference a good cleaning can make in a pico tank! Zoas that were half closed are now fully open only 24 hours later, and all the other corals look very happy.

The best news is that I just spotted green banded goby #2 in the back of the tank, hanging out under a rock! omgomgomg

So other than the two zoa colonies that melted away, I seem to have weathered the downturn last month pretty well. The lesson I've learned is to never skimp on the water changes, and change the carbon and GFO are least once every two weeks. And keep up on airstone changes in the skimmer. I just cant get them to last more than about three weeks, tops.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's GBG #2 hanging out on the snails. The duncans in the background are mad because I just buried their frag plug in the sand after a snail dug it up :lol:

17284876100_c35e4e6613_b.jpgGBG #2 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I got a new cell phone (Galaxy S6) and I've been playing around with the camera a little bit, just to see how it does with quick and easy pics. It's much better at handling exposure and white balance than the old S4. Here's a semi-FTS I just took. I did adjust the white balance just a bit, but it was really quite good for a cell phone picture. You can just see GBG #1 peeking out from behind the tubipora :)

17285262328_d06fef3dac_b.jpgSemi-FTS (Cell Phone): 2015-05-09 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I was looking at the Galaxy s6 for the camera. Now I know it works well with aquarium photos. Thanks for the demo. Lol. Also Glad your wife is doing well and you turned the tank around. Yeah, it's amazing what skipping even a week of maintenance can destroy. Glad it still looks so good!!!

It never ceases to amaze me what a difference a good cleaning can make in a pico tank! Zoas that were half closed are now fully open only 24 hours later, and all the other corals look very happy.

The best news is that I just spotted green banded goby #2 in the back of the tank, hanging out under a rock! omgomgomg

So other than the two zoa colonies that melted away, I seem to have weathered the downturn last month pretty well. The lesson I've learned is to never skimp on the water changes, and change the carbon and GFO are least once every two weeks. And keep up on airstone changes in the skimmer. I just cant get them to last more than about three weeks, tops.

I am so happy to hear about GBG#2!! That made me sad to read(when you thought he was gone). And I am really happy to hear about your wife!!! (edited because it sounded like I was sad to read you FOUND your goby - it's Sunday and I haven't had nearly enough coffee).

I did a little experimenting with the video camera tonight. I've never tried video before so I guess it's time to figure out how to make it work. Here's a rough and ready first try, complete with generic Youtube music :D

aviator300

If your talking about air stones in a Pico 2.0 skimmer, i can't make them last longer than 3 weeks either.

I did a little experimenting with the video camera tonight. I've never tried video before so I guess it's time to figure out how to make it work. Here's a rough and ready first try, complete with generic Youtube music :D

Very nice! Music wasn't too bad either :).

I got a new cell phone (Galaxy S6) and I've been playing around with the camera a little bit, just to see how it does with quick and easy pics. It's much better at handling exposure and white balance than the old S4. Here's a semi-FTS I just took. I did adjust the white balance just a bit, but it was really quite good for a cell phone picture. You can just see GBG #1 peeking out from behind the tubipora :)

17285262328_d06fef3dac_b.jpgSemi-FTS (Cell Phone): 2015-05-09 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Those rics! :wub:

how do you get such good photos ! haha I'm so jealous. all of mine turn out so blue :lol:

Thanks! I use Lightroom to adjust the white balance for all my pictures. It works best when you can take shots in RAW. The cell phone picture I took up above was a .jpg, and I was still able to get a decent white balance on it. But it doesn't always work out that well :)

I was looking at the Galaxy s6 for the camera. Now I know it works well with aquarium photos. Thanks for the demo. Lol. Also Glad your wife is doing well and you turned the tank around. Yeah, it's amazing what skipping even a week of maintenance can destroy. Glad it still looks so good!!!

Thank you so much! Yes, I've been really happy with how well the S6 camera it works. There's supposed to be an updated software version coming out that will allow manual control and RAW shooting in a couple more months. I think that will really make a huge difference, too. The old saying is that the best camera is the one you have with you :D

I am so happy to hear about GBG#2!! That made me sad to read(when you thought he was gone). And I am really happy to hear about your wife!!! (edited because it sounded like I was sad to read you FOUND your goby - it's Sunday and I haven't had nearly enough coffee).

:lol: He's been very happy, living in a little burrow in the sand under the back rock. Fortunately I can see his hideout from the side of the tank. I'll try to get a picture next time I get the camera out.

Wow, picture looks fantastic, I mean wow. :D

Thanks, Mark :blush:

damn, that sexy shrimp looks huge in your tank haha

Yeah, the funny thing is, that one is literally twice the size of the other one. I have no idea why, though. They started the same size.

Thanks, Sk8n!

We come back Teeny. Glad to hear the wife is on the mend and the tanks are doing well.

Thanks! It's good to be back :)

Very nice! Music wasn't too bad either :).

Thanks, Gena! Doing video is really hard compared to still photography. I need to practice :)

Glad your ok! This tank is one of my favorites. Love the tiny size, but amazing layout.

#youdaman

-Dave

Thanks, Dave! I need to get that light back to you for an upgrade, but I have to clear out the frag tank first. Or get a new light for the frag tank, too...hmmmm...

Those rics! :wub:

Thanks! I love their colors :happy:

There's a new LFS near me, very small, but with lots of corals, at reasonable prices :wub: Most of their corals are "generic" instead of "designer" but they have some really nice looking stuff.

I picked up an SPS frag for the 10g tank for $30, and these two nameless zoas for $10 each. Score!

17732893912_49005f9144_b.jpgNew Zoas #1 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

17547947530_8c0a8dfcdc_b.jpgNew Zoas #2 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

"generic" corals are my favorite :). Really nice pickups!

Thanks, Gena! The frag in the first picture turned out to have two or three similar but different morphs on one little rock! Here's a close up of my favorite $10 zoa frag ever :wub:

18143296202_54117c25c8_b.jpgNew Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

looking beautiful as always, john!!!

Thanks, Cindy :blush:

Dave from NanoBox put your pictures up on FB! Tank looks great, man. I want my IM 10 to look like this something fierce.

Archived