Pod Your Reef

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

No, they are a vendor for the company I work for ClearChoice Dental Implant Centers and I've been training them on making titanium bars for us- are you in the Dental industry ?

Yep. Dentist. 20 years.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Port Huron, Michigan. I do restore implants, though not as often as I would like. Area has been hit very hard economically over the last ten years and they are a very hard sell. The mentality around here is that dentures (or no teeth at all) are the way to go. :wacko:

Sk8n Reefer

Port Huron, Michigan. I do restore implants, though not as often as I would like. Area has been hit very hard economically over the last ten years and they are a very hard sell. The mentality around here is that dentures (or no teeth at all) are the way to go. :wacko:

Wow- small world. I grew up in Flint Mi. Lived there for 30yrs. We would drive by Port Huron on our way to Sarnia Canada to go skateboarding. I hear ya on the economy - Flint is scary these days when I go back. Have you heard of ClearChoice- we have 30 implant centers across the country and are growing- we specialize in the All on 4 procedure. I manage the centers labs across the country. I've been a lab tech for 30yrs. also. Working on a digital workflow now- pretty exciting stuff.

I have. When I get to do an implant case it is usually a single tooth case. I have done several dentures using the Locator system. They work well, but four is usually better. It's just getting the patient to cough up the dough for the additional implants that kills the deal for the most part. Everything here is still so insurance driven. The UAW mentality here really ties my hands when it comes to prosthetic work. "If the insurance does not pay, it must not be necessary, so I don't want it."

You ever get back to Flint and have time, look me up. I'd love to talk shop over a beer or something. Maybe we can get Chris! to come along too?

Par numbers are in! Really fun playing around with the meter. I run stock Nuvo 16 light(8wtt. each) on the sides and an AI Nano in the center. My AI Nano is at 100% after slowly ramping up over months. Interesting because of the small spread of the Nano some of my corals have a strong par number on one side and weaker on the other- fairly substantial for my purple Stylo and pink Stylo. Many corals are over 400par and loving it. The top numbers are right at the water level. My hiding in the back encrusting red Monti and seasons greetings monti are at 265-225 and doing well- just shaded a lot by the other corals and those areas are not doing well. I checked all readings under my clear screen. Also left the meter in place while the spinstreams circulated to the top and disturbed the surface water- the par numbers would fluctuate by over 100-150 par depending in location. So the par numbers for my corals tend to constantly change throughout the day- which I think is good.

So when I place my corals into the 50gal. I'll borrow the par meter again and place accordingly to their old par numbers and up it in some circumstances. Atleast that's the plan

98a74c7be5367645b2ab32575a60e769_zps6bca

Nothing should be getting much above 450 IMO, though heavy feeding might compensate. 300 to 400 on the acros, 200 on the sandbed seems like a common range to shoot for.

Sk8n Reefer

Nothing should be getting much above 450 IMO, though heavy feeding might compensate. 300 to 400 on the acros, 200 on the sandbed seems like a common range to shoot for.

Ya, I was surprised by the high values. The AI Nano really has a poor spread -imo- I think the spinstreams disrupting the surface really helps in reducing the high par numbers. It's a constant disruption to the surface and when I was reading numbers the par would jump around when the surface was disrupted as much as 200 points. I think if it was a straight contant high par it would be causing more of an issue but the Birdsnest, bonsai, green cap and green Poci are loving their spots. The mille in the middle at 630 is the only one that isn't "taking off" it's growing steady but not a fast rate- color has been "ok".

I think for my 50gal. I'll also look at running a fairly high par with surface agitation. The hybrid light from Dave will give me good spread though so the whole tank should be illuminated better. I am surprised how well the NUVO stock lighting is growing coral. Birds, caps and stylo's though do they aren't very demanding.

Sk8n Reefer

I have. When I get to do an implant case it is usually a single tooth case. I have done several dentures using the Locator system. They work well, but four is usually better. It's just getting the patient to cough up the dough for the additional implants that kills the deal for the most part. Everything here is still so insurance driven. The UAW mentality here really ties my hands when it comes to prosthetic work. "If the insurance does not pay, it must not be necessary, so I don't want it."

You ever get back to Flint and have time, look me up. I'd love to talk shop over a beer or something. Maybe we can get Chris! to come along too?

For sure! I do make it back to Flint from time to time- that would be fun to hang out

Wow, those are some crazy PAR numbers, but the proof that it works is in the pictures :) Can't wait to see the new tank set up! I'm taking notes on all the questions you're asking about sumps for my own someday tank upgrade :D

Sk8n Reefer

Wow, those are some crazy PAR numbers, but the proof that it works is in the pictures :) Can't wait to see the new tank set up! I'm taking notes on all the questions you're asking about sumps for my own someday tank upgrade :D

Thanks Teeny, Ya I was surprised by the high numbers. The water surface of the tank is constantly heavily disrupted and the par numbers drop by 200+ I feel that's one reason the high par numbers are sustainable by the corals- that's a major consideration with par numbers. I really like having the surface agitated so I think I'll run higher par numbers on the 50gal. also.

I picked up the 3rd gen eshopps sump- suppose to be really quiet which was why I bought one- check 'em out. I haven't wet it up yet so I can't give ya a true review yet.

Sk8n Reefer

Just got back from 4 days in Atlanta- whew - hotlanta for sure. Not used to that humidity at all. Lisa took care of the tank like a champ - even got her to do some 1 gal w/c's while I was gone?. Bringing the 50gal. Into the tiki room tonight- that's a start ?

I picked up the 3rd gen eshopps sump- suppose to be really quiet which was why I bought one- check 'em out. I haven't wet it up yet so I can't give ya a true review yet.

Well, whatcha waiting for???? DO IT UP!

For sure! I do make it back to Flint from time to time- that would be fun to hang out

If you're ever in the CT/RI/MA area, let me know!!! It would be fun to get together.

Sk8n Reefer

Well, whatcha waiting for???? DO IT UP!

If you're ever in the CT/RI/MA area, let me know!!! It would be fun to get together.

For sure- we don't have any Dental Centers in that area yet but we are growing and eventually will get out that way ?. We do have Centers in DC, Columbia and Rockville Maryland though

Slowly but surely the 50 is moving along- getting it into the house and redesigning the tiki is key- that's my goal for this weekend. Still waiting on my light. Lisa has a great idea to hang the light that will go well in the tiki room - planning that out too ?

Thanks Teeny, Ya I was surprised by the high numbers. The water surface of the tank is constantly heavily disrupted and the par numbers drop by 200+ I feel that's one reason the high par numbers are sustainable by the corals- that's a major consideration with par numbers. I really like having the surface agitated so I think I'll run higher par numbers on the 50gal. also.

Those look really nice and the prices aren't too ridiculous. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works!

For sure- we don't have any Dental Centers in that area yet but we are growing and eventually will get out that way . We do have Centers in DC, Columbia and Rockville Maryland though

Slowly but surely the 50 is moving along- getting it into the house and redesigning the tiki is key- that's my goal for this weekend. Still waiting on my light. Lisa has a great idea to hang the light that will go well in the tiki room - planning that out too

I can't wait to see it!!!

Sk8n Reefer

Alright! The 50gal. is out of the garage and in the Tiki Room ?. We did some rearranging and switched out a couch and chair (in progress). It's in the house so that's a start- out all week to Daly City/ San Fran area so can't get it wet yet

25a88d8e36dce828be41be47d24ca4cc_zpsgv5p

Removed everything from this corner and brought the 50g in

6961360ad29052713b2baa27883e493a_zpsyjfy

Designing out a new door

b24b344aebac6de4b7790db1f5d42617_zpsy7zg

The walls are little sterile for me so we started shaping up the wall with a squid I made with glass about 10 yrs ago. Weighs a ton- no easy task to hang that's for sure ?

5c853836c684faea8ac42e74a2373aff_zpsi55n

Should look nice with a bunch of tiki's and a tank full of coral next to it ?

182f1f13fc9e8b76c05a60dec91b1f7b_zpsw9sy

Looks awesome! Love the glass squid art :).

25a88d8e36dce828be41be47d24ca4cc_zpsgv5p

I love a lot about this room, but yeah, my favorite thing is definitely the kitchy blue swag lamp :wub:.
Sk8n Reefer

To quote JR; my body is ready. :lol:

Wow, I love it already! That squid mosaic is beautiful :)

I agree with teeny, that squid is exquisite and a lovely accessory for the tank!

Thanks everyone! Stoked to have the tank in the house to tinker with- that should speed things up. Traveling this week so my time is cut short for working on the tank ?

I LOVE THE SQUID! I think you should do more aquatic life to hang around that same area! How cool, Scott. That 50 is in the perfect spot.

Sk8n Reefer

I LOVE THE SQUID! I think you should do more aquatic life to hang around that same area! How cool, Scott. That 50 is in the perfect spot.

Thanks Stellablue - it is growing on me ?. Mosaics with glass are so fun ?

Thanks Stellablue - it is growing on me . Mosaics with glass are so fun

they really are! Did you buy full sheets and cut to the sizes you needed?

I bought a bunch of Fiestaware broken pieces/chips from their factory once and had fun doing mosaics with those. But I like the look of glass better.

Archived