Top Shelf Aquatics

Just ordered this LED light

05XRunner

Which white between the 2 would you prefer. 14K or 10K ? and why

those are both on the very cool end of white, basically blue.. if you ran blue and white only and your white was 14 or 10k it would look incredibly anemic and wouldn't have any warm color at all. your red, orange, etc pigments would suffer.. fluorescent greens would look great but that's about it..

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that looks pretty good in the video.. one way to tell how well it's going to render colors is to go pick up some color samples swatches from home depot and hold them under the light.. get a multi-shade red, yellow, orange, etc. and you'll see how well it's going to reflect those colors.. I like the shimmer/light pattern from it..

those are both on the very cool end of white, basically blue.. if you ran blue and white only and your white was 14 or 10k it would look incredibly anemic and wouldn't have any warm color at all. your red, orange, etc pigments would suffer.. fluorescent greens would look great but that's about it..

You are right. 14K does look a bit anemic and on the blue side. But which one between 14K and 10K would be a better choice for coral growth/health. I have 14K and 456nm actinic for my mentis shrimp setup but would like to add few softies and gorgs. I can still add 10K if needed.

You are right. 14K does look a bit anemic and on the blue side. But which one between 14K and 10K would be a better choice for coral growth/health. I have 14K and 456nm actinic for my mentis shrimp setup but would like to add few softies and gorgs. I can still add 10K if needed.

you'd be better off adding something warmer, in the 4000-5000k range. If I had to pick between those two crappy choices I'd pick 10k, but honestly I wouldn't use either one at all

we shall see I have had many T5 and halide tanks over the years

My previous tanks I will compare to

75G Halide

IMG_3263.jpg

20L Halide

IMG_4831.jpg

15G Halide

KH5V0328.jpg

30Breeder T5

2R5W0033.jpg

30Breeder T5

JOND3068.jpg

20L T5

JOND7412.jpg

30Breeder DIY LED kit

IMG_8506.jpg

30Breeder 2 Kessil 15k

IMG_8667.jpg

The awesome shimmer the kessils created. I hope this light can come close to this

http://vimeo.com/38250644

based on these pics you hardly look like a noob LOL.......... Nice tanks

Hmmm that might work but it might close the angle of the beam enough that two fixtures become a requirement.

stock is 70degree and the new lenses are 90 degrees so it shouldnt make it cover any less..if it doesnt work out I will just make some googly glasses out of the lenses LOL

I dont know if I believe that 18k for the whites thats a pretty blue white and with thite only its a pretty warm color if they would have said 10k then I would say that would be right.

stock is 70degree and the new lenses are 90 degrees so it shouldnt make it cover any less..if it doesnt work out I will just make some googly glasses out of the lenses LOL

I dont know if I believe that 18k for the whites thats a pretty blue white and with thite only its a pretty warm color if they would have said 10k then I would say that would be right.

yeah 18k sounds wrong.. that's blue, lol.. I'd imagine that's a typo or something..

Probably is a typo , but it does say 18k .

The fixture's name is ANGEL EYES .

Wholesale prices 1-9 units $92/each

10 or more $82

plus shipping of course

That lens will only be 90 degrees if you place it at the right height over the LED. Aspheric lenses like this will change the output angle based on the distance from the light source, so you will have to play with it's position to get the results you want.

yes it will be exactly over the led. i measured the reflector section that is right ontop of the led sit right inside the reflector. if it doesnt work only lost 9bucks

to bad cant get a group buy enough to do a custom chip layout. I would move the red and green to the white ch.

if we could get a custom chip layout (something like nw, rb, v, cy, dr) and built in controller I might be interested in one..

I wonder how many it takes to order custom layout?

I'm gonna guess the lens will induce disco. I think the OG reflector probably works well to diminish disco. If you could find a lens big enough to cover the reflector and still keep it wide, that might be ideal. Thanks again for keeping us updated on this light, I'm probably going to have to get one now!

googlethat posted this

I am not sure if thats min order 10 to get custom layout or just min order of 10 to even get them to sell to you

Minimum for custom layout .

I'm gonna guess the lens will induce disco. I think the OG reflector probably works well to diminish disco. If you could find a lens big enough to cover the reflector and still keep it wide, that might be ideal. Thanks again for keeping us updated on this light, I'm probably going to have to get one now!

I doubt it, disco is usually from separate lenses and being spaced too far apart.. in this case it should combine the lights very well.. we'll see though when he does the test fit..

yea adding the lens should make what little disco there is to almost nothing. since all the LED will now be coming out of one lens it should blend them nicely its the same way kessil does their units. a lens right ontop of the leds with a reflector.

Archived