Cultivated Reef

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is, it's some natural looking thing, came in on my rock. As did the other 2 I found in my 34g. My hope is, when I find my frag kit, to remove those and put them into Gertie's tank. I love how wispy they are.

Love the Gertie videos.

Thank You. After having her I know I will never be without a mantis. My Aquatic Life Mini Skimmer broke. The 2 I had have both been in vinegar water, etc but it must be something w/ the motor, just stopped working. Apparently they only had a life of 2 yrs

Any idea for a hob skimmer for this 20g? I don't want a nano one. Is there a HOB Reef Octopus that's smaller than the BH-90 and has the same shape. It's doing so well on my 34. Just want a smaller version of it. Any suggestions anyone?

Gertie looks like she's doing great! Glad to see she's so healthy and happy. She's a cutie! Unfortunately most of the hang on back skimmers I know about are really big. Hopefully there's a good option for you. Most of the tiny skimmers are the ones that have to sit inside the tank because they're made for AIO back chambers.

Yeah, and most of the smaller in-tank ones are only so-so. I'll have to be religious and do a water change on her tank every weekend here and when I move the water will be replaced altogether so I guess if there was any time to not have a replacement skimmer for her it's now.

• 1 month later...

And so hoping that at the end of next week I get to move and I'll have Gert's tank cycling w/ new sand kickstarted with some handfuls of old.

Dang might have to keep my 20 or just get a Fusion 10 and get another one.......I miss my little green guy or gal that I had years ago.....

Looks great am looking forward to see what you do when the move happens.

Hello, you are an important person to me right now.

Mantis Shrimp.

I am adopting one. I would like suggestions for terrain. I pick the crab up next week and I am dividing the tank to keep my gorilla crab one one side and the mantis the other.

Should I look into PVC tubing, Toys, or what do you suggest?

How do you keep gertie from Cracking the tank.

What do you advise as a mantis friend?

Hello, you are an important person to me right now.

Mantis Shrimp.

I am adopting one. I would like suggestions for terrain. I pick the crab up next week and I am dividing the tank to keep my gorilla crab one one side and the mantis the other.

Should I look into PVC tubing, Toys, or what do you suggest?

How do you keep gertie from Cracking the tank.

What do you advise as a mantis friend?

First of what type of Mantis? To break the glass they need to be a big one.

Well, I got my live rock from KPAquatics for my 34g and unwrapping the wet newspaper that surrounded each rock I found 3 mantis shrimp, all same kind, like Gertie, so you never know, or just go to KPAquatics.com and buy one cheap and then buy some nice gorgs while you're on there.

http://www.kpaquatics.com/product-category/shrimps-and-mantis-shrimps/

How much rock did you order and what kind was it ?

Were they dead or did the shrimp survive the trip?

I am n ot sure. the light was pretty cruddy. but he was at least 2.3 - 3 inches long. somewhat dark looking, but the light in the shop is always quite dim. he was clinigng to a rock and i didn't want to roll the breederbox and accidently harm it.

I am n ot sure. the light was pretty cruddy. but he was at least 2.3 - 3 inches long. somewhat dark looking, but the light in the shop is always quite dim. he was clinigng to a rock and i didn't want to roll the breederbox and accidently harm it.

Find out if it is a smasher or a spearer also. Not all Mantis smack things to kill it :D

Look at the link FM posted there are a few in there for sale and maybe you can figure it out from that.

This here is an excellent site. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_wennerae

I pulled the link of KPAquatics page. Yes, they came in alive, dazed as they weren't submerged in water. I just got the live rock, not the cured rock. This link here, you can go then to any links. Gertie doesn't hit the glass. She hits rocks and rock flower anemones and snails. She leaves my royal gramma alone. For a time there each of their homes was only like 2 " apart and they cohabited really well. However, I used to have a yellow damsel and it got popeye and she was quick to put him out of his misery, though I never saw it.

She's only like 1.25" long at this point but was .5" when I found her. You don't need toys, and if she's small and she finds a home in the rock, she'll widen the burrow herself as she needs it so you don't need to do all that with a tunnel, unless you want to. Because she was small, I never had to make a tunnel, she found a spot and has continued to groom it perfectly to her needs. And let me tell you, perfectly circular tunnel. They're masters. I've never seen her hit the glass just because, they wouldn't do that. But definitely read up on the mantis you're getting.

Get snails bigger than it is if you want it to still be alive, something with a hard shell.

It was cheap, look at their pricing, even with shipping attached. It's crazy good. I got like 25 lbs or something. I can't remember but it came out cheaper than the crap they have at our local 2 shops here and there's nothing growing on it, no coraline, corals, nothing.

I am not actually sure of the mantis but it could be a Haptosquilla - since when I saw this mantis it appeared black, but it was in fairly poor light I couldn't tell for sure. I truly regret removing and losing that mantis I had before. Your gertie looks a lot like the one I had.

I did get some pipe, I divided the tank to keep the gorilla and the mantis apart. the pipe might be used for the crab because he likes to throw the rocks around.

Archived