Cultivated Reef

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes, dose a little iodine and keep calcium levels good, those are important for moult health. Losing any parts of the body in a moult should be something to be very watchful about.

HarryPotter

Aww man that STINKS :(

Hope she recovers! Can she just "get" an eye if the next molt is successful?

(Sorry I don't know how this works)

I don't either know how IT works but I know nature is amazing and it can do incredible things so who knows, but yes making sure calcium is good. Just got a couple pics. AYE! I'M A PIRATE!

20150724_234907_zpsbjmepacd.jpg

20150724_235044_zpslnibsgmw.jpg

Poor little thing!

They seriously do have expressions. The top one is the " I look pitiful, don't look at me" pic.

Snow_Phoenix

Oh no! My Hawaiian Shrimp is the same way - had a bad molt two molts ago and is now blind in one eye (eye completely clouded over). I'm hoping the damaged part will restore itself in future molts, so I'm hoping Gertie will recover as well.

Have you timed her molts and do they happen on a regular basis? Just wondering how long she'll be a pirate.

I haven't timed them because often I don't even know if she has. It'll be 2 yrs this Halloween and I've only found 1 molt the whole time though I'm sure she's doing it every several mos. They eat the molt for calcium and leave the wrecking balls and harder parts like tail behind.

Looks like all the lenses were ripped off, good thing mantis shrimp have working depth perception with just one eye.

Yeah, Also means she'll depend on me even more.

I hope she will be okay, poor beautiful gertie

I gave her food again today. I'll continue to do that daily right now hoping it helps her.

Looks like all the lenses were ripped off, good thing mantis shrimp have working depth perception with just one eye.

I just feel so bad for her. Even people who are blinded in one eye compensate really well, I can only hope it's something nature will replace for her.

So sorry to hear about Gertie. I too, wish her the very best and hope for a speedy recovery.

I'm outta here on Wed and hope to have my Nuvo 8 back up and running within a few days of leaving.

I wonder? will I need a sweater in Oregon. I'm thinking yes but i'll wait till I get there before I start buying "cold weather clothes"

So sorry to hear about Gertie. I too, wish her the very best and hope for a speedy recovery.

I'm outta here on Wed and hope to have my Nuvo 8 back up and running within a few days of leaving.

I wonder? will I need a sweater in Oregon. I'm thinking yes but i'll wait till I get there before I start buying "cold weather clothes"

Here is the Roseburg OR. weather this week.

post-86341-0-52736500-1437999160_thumb.png

Barry

Here is the Roseburg OR. weather this week.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Barry

Actually, having lived in the AZ desert for so long (55yrs), those 85 and 90 degree days seem a bit nippy for this time of year but i'll probably take the sweater off and feel right at home when it hits the 100s later in the week.

Aww poor little shrimpy, I hope the eye is repairable in future moults, maybe Island of Tikki has some knowledge about this.

Good point. I'll have to ask.

Good point. I'll have to ask.

I asked and Islandoftiki said the following:

As for your little girl, I suspect her eyes will be back to normal after a couple of molts.

I'm so glad to hear that. She was out & about this evening so I had a chance to look at it and it appears a touch better. She was hitting something so I guess she feels alright.

Archived