Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

My first build thread so bare with me :)

Equipment:
Tank: Petco 40B display
Fuge: Petco 40B
Stand: Titan Eze Metal Double Stand (will be skinned with wood)
Lights: Reef Breeders Photon 24
Skimmer: Bubble Magnus Curve 5
Sand: 40bs Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand
GFO/Carbon Reactor: BRS Dual
Aquamaxx Biomaxx Biopellet Reactor
Return Pump: Eheim 1262
Rock: 30lbs reef-cleaners rock in display with whatever I end up fitting in the fuge.
Overflow Box: Glass-holes 700 gph Kit with 3/4" loc-line return kit
Top-off: Tunze ATO
Flow: 2x Mp10 with battery backup
Controller: Apex Jr

Inhabitants:
Blue mandarin dragonet (moved to 29g)
Spotted mandarin dragonet (moved to 29g)
Royal Gramma
Neon Goby
Bangaii cardinal (died during 8 hour power outage)
Starcki Damselfish
Gold assessor basslet (SOLD)
Black Ice Clownfish pair
Midas Blenny (moved to 29g)
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Pearly Jawfish
Tomini Tang
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Bundoon Blenny
Rose Bubble Tip Nem
Randall's goby and shrimp pair (goby went missing after 4 years) :(
McCosker wrasse pair (SOLD)
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Blood red fire shrimp
1 hermit crab
2 Mexican turbo snails
Reef-Cleaners 20g snail package

Current Refugium inhabitants:
Green Banded Goby (moved to 29g)
4 Sexy Shrimp (moved to 29g)
1 Porcelain crab (accidentally got out when moving rock and dried up on floor)
Rock Flower Anenome (moved to 29g)
Cheato, Caulerpra prolifera, Misc softys
Purple-Spotted Mantis - Gonodactylus smithii

Softys:
Xenia
Kenya tree
Green finger coral
Toadstool mushroom leather
Iridescent purple cespitularia
Lemon tree coral
Purple sea whip
Papya clove polyps
Green Lace Gorg
Purple Asterospicularia Coral
ORA® Grube's Gorgonian Coral
Reef Gen Tracy Morgonian Gorgonia
Yellow Fiji coral

Zoas & Palys:
Purple Hornet zoas
Blue Hornet zoas
Purple Death palys
Bright green palys
Candy apple zoas
Bam Bam zoas
Dragon eye zoas
Pink and gold palys
Pink speckled zoas
Pink and green zoa combo mix
Magician palys

LPS:
Green short tentacle plate coral
Maroon and blue blasto
Red & green chalice
Bi-Color hammer
Green duncan coral
Light blue candy cane
Christmas tree acan
DFS Tricolor Goniastrea Brain Coral
DFS Raspberry Eye Robokaki Chalice Coral

SPS:
Red plate monti
DFS Stardust Cerealis Acropora Coral
ORA® Mint Pavona Coral
Some sort of acropora millepora #1 (freebie, currently brown)
Some sort of acropora millepora #2 (freebie, looks green)
Some sort of acropora millepora #3 (freebie, currently bleached)

FTS:

(5-23-14)

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/IMG_20140523_154607151_HDR_zpsy43ivutm.jpg.html'>IMG_20140523_154607151_HDR_zpsy43ivutm.j

(1-30-14)
DSC_0634_zpsb55b78fc.jpg

(9-28-13)
i4UHjOBYnjBEd.jpg

(8-17-13)
joKQw4yQkKF8l.jpg

(7-30-13)
icjJAgTtTtbLq.jpg

(6-22-13):
jS414MfHlVTNg.jpg

As usual, the first inhabitant is a catfish.
DSC_0018_zps0e96ddc5.jpg

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the 40B Elite. ;)

Thank you, loving it so far :) This footprint it awesome, for once I can actually get my hand btw the rock and glass to scrape it.

Been snowed in for 2 days.. college closed due to weather gave me a lot of free time so made some progress drilling and painting:

DSC_0031_zpsbcb58aa4.jpg

DSC_0033_zps1418615c.jpg

I legit laughed out loud at the "catfish" cuz I saw the comment before I scrolled down to see the picture, hahaha. Cats love boxes so much they don't care if they're see-through and made of glass. My cats are in love with the fish, it's like cat tv.

Looks great so far, can't wait to see the progress!

Cool tank what is the plan for coral?

No real plan, I tend to just browse the livestock classifieds and get whatever I like the look of most. Likely end up with a mixed reef. Bicolor hammer and a colorful montipora are high on my list.

Going to buy some jawbreakers and clementines from: http://www.nano-reef.com/user/20711-ek9vboi/ as I think they are quite pretty.

I legit laughed out loud at the "catfish" cuz I saw the comment before I scrolled down to see the picture, hahaha. Cats love boxes so much they don't care if they're see-through and made of glass. My cats are in love with the fish, it's like cat tv.

Looks great so far, can't wait to see the progress!

My cats don't seem to realize that fish are tasty, they drink out of my freshwater tank and the fish practically swim in the cats mouth thinking that pink tongue might be food. They do however.. LOVE all boxes of equipment coming in the mail. Not sure why I bother buying my cats any toys as they would rather play with the wrapping or a piece of garbage. The newest craze for my cats is discarded zip ties.

And thanks :) I'm currently cycling the rock and waiting for a day off so I can get the baffles cut.. sadly the glass shops are closed on weekends :( Pretty much playing the waiting game now.

Nothing much going on.. just waiting for the cycle. Snapped a few shots of the rest of my fish:

clownfish_zps40743091.jpg

neongoby_zpsc4f84219.jpg

10g tank for my betta and 4 rummynose tetras. Used to have a heavily planted 20g but when I moved I got rid of most of it and downsized to an aquarium that almost requires no maintenance. Would like to dive into freshwater planted again but my focus right now is on my saltwater.

freshwater10_zps68ee953c.jpg

Rescued this guy from fin-rot and a dirty cup from petco, was super ugly red/brown but brightened up once he got a proper aquarium:
Pets015.jpg

Also spotted my porcelain crab after lights went out who I assumed was dead.. guess he was just hiding and sneaking around at night.

Man this makes me want to do the 40 breeder again. Only thing keeping me back is I don't know how long we're gonna be living where we are so I really don't think I would have the patience to break it down if I had to. Seriously though looking at all your fish makes me want to cry right now, the flasher is awesome! I might have to forgo the Mandarin in the 29 and see if I can do it. Or buy a skimmer lol.

gallery_34684_5_152613.jpg

Finally got some pics of him flashing.. its hard though, he moves FAST!

The type of fish I would build an entire aquarium around. So beautiful!

I knew I would see that stand when I read that you were using a 40b display and 40b fuge. Are you going to skin it? Please say yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew I would see that stand when I read that you were using a 40b display and 40b fuge. Are you going to skin it? Please say yes.

If by skin it you mean add wooden paneling to make it look nicer, yes :) But that won't be for another 2 months most likely as I do not own any power tools and plan to do it when I make a trip to my parents. I may get some Velcro and black fabric to hide the sump until the "skin" is done. Whatever I make.. it has to disassemble as I will be moving in a year and that is the main reason I chose this stand and it comes apart easily.

Update: Tank is finally wet and my fingers hurt from all the sawing and gluing and my back is sore from moving 5lb buckets of water all day yesterday.

I still have A LOT to do but will wait till after finals next week. I need to make something to hold the lights above the tank (new lights on the way), frag all my coral off my old rock (which is in the refugium area atm), and make a stand for my skimmer (its on tupperware) My CUC will be shipped monday and waiting for pods to go on sale. Also have a 2nd heater and filter socks in the mail and still need to pick out moonlighting.

Need lots of coral and may use my fuge as a display since its so large so lots of macros but also just spent a small fortune on all this equipment so will try and control myself for a little while.

This is the first time I ever used a sump let alone did any plumbing. Happy to say it worked first time.

Here is a pic (pretty messy atm, haven't cleaned smudges off the glass and there is a breeder box holding my green banded goby and cords are everywhere.. too exhausted to care tonight though, maybe tomorrow):

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0015_zpsf040f1c9.jpg.html'>DSC_0015_zpsf040f1c9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome progress! I love your rock stack - can't wait to see it with corals on it! I got a McCosker's from the local store and it's either a female or a juvi male because it's very subdued in coloration. Still very pretty though! Post pics when you get your female and how the male flashes to her! :-)

Seeing your Randall's Goby makes me want one so bad. I also like the spaced out rock work. Wish I could get mine more spaced out. Can't wait to see it a few months down the road. Good luck!

Awesome progress! I love your rock stack - can't wait to see it with corals on it! I got a McCosker's from the local store and it's either a female or a juvi male because it's very subdued in coloration. Still very pretty though! Post pics when you get your female and how the male flashes to her! :-)

Thanks! I will post pics, wait time is going to kill me :) I think if it is a juvi male it will have a long filament on its dorsal fin and a female will just have a short nub.

I can't wait for corals too! Working on getting a full spectrum LED fixture figured out. Hoping to have it ordered soon.

Seeing your Randall's Goby makes me want one so bad. I also like the spaced out rock work. Wish I could get mine more spaced out. Can't wait to see it a few months down the road. Good luck!

I love my Randall's, he was one of my first fish over 3 years ago. He's proven very hardy and has moved with me several times to different apartments for long car rides and survived an epoxy accident. He is tougher than my clown. Would def recommend one.

Yeah, I've been debating between a Randall's or a Yasha to add next. Of course if a Flame Prawn Goby showed up for 40 bucks there would be no debate.

Yeah, I've been debating between a Randall's or a Yasha to add next. Of course if a Flame Prawn Goby showed up for 40 bucks there would be no debate.

Both beautiful fish! Sometimes Yasha's will hide a lot is the only downside to them.

Update: the female wrasse is in QT atm getting some prazipro as a precaution. I plan on only keeping her in there 5 days however instead of the full QT because I don't want her getting ideas to turn into a male. She looks healthy and is eating but still stressed enough that she doesn't want to come out from hiding.

Also grabbed a Blue midas blenny off DD that will arrive Tuesday:

_cfimg-3068905879564276696_zps4c4642a5.p

Going to be selling my McCosker pair and my basslet to make room for the clownfish and my Midas is a bit nippy with the flashers. I also feel the flasher's will do better in a much larger tank.

Archived