Top Shelf Aquatics

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow and he only has 5

some frogs only can handle so much of each other-I only plan on adding 4ish to mine and will remove tadpoles to raise them separately.

Yeah that's a good rough estimate. These guys are pretty tolerant of each other, I could probably keep these 5 frogs in a much smaller tank with no issues. I would gladly buy more but they're pretty expensive and I'd rather they increase their numbers on their own :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks dude :)

Finally got a full tank shot. I've already had to trim a lot of the new ferns at the top once and they've already overgrown that area again

12421765815_361c209d58_c.jpg
New guy on the hunt

Haha I have the same bike. Mine is in the same process that yours is in

I used to have a Kawi kz750 that was well on it's way to being a nice cafe bike before I sold it. Tanks and tires are my vices. Bikes have both.

Full tank shot - Canon 6D + Canon 50 f/1.8. No flash used.

Froglet shot - Canon 6D + Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro. Flash bounced off ceiling.

BRZ shot - Canon 6D + Canon 50 f/1.8. No flash used.

Bike shot - Canon 6D + Canon 50 f/1.8. Flash bounced off ceiling.

I got about half the new front end put back on the bike yesterday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonwithers/12421469525/'>12421469525_9b54dba945_z.jpg

I don't think I like having the clipons bolted above the triple tree so I've got a bit of re-arranging to do.

They're just dying at this point. I haven't replaced them yet because the froglet has claimed them as his home base, but they've essentially rotted out.

These guys?

10600603453_082e6741c8_c.jpg
They're called Hyloxalus Azureiventris. I don't know a whole lot about them but they're supposedly ok in groups, I was given these by my father-in-law. I have a pair of males and they absolutely do not like each other. They're housed in an 18x18x24 sized tank right now but it isn't set up very well. They're not a common frog and very loud, I'm not sure if you'd really want them.
If you were looking into getting into the hobby, there are tons of readily available good choices for a first frog. For larger species, I'd suggest any of the following:
Dendrobates Leucomelas - Bold, pleasant call, good in groups
Dendrobates-leucomelas-guyana-yellow-1E.
Other good options are:
Phyllobates terribilis (the real dart frog)
Dendrobates auratus
Dendrobates tinctorius - Only good in pairs, very colorful, very large
If you like smaller frogs (like my main frogs), you can't go wrong with Ranitomeya imitator, which is what I have. There are more than a dozen different "morphs" to choose from, they're very bold, and they will raise their own froglets if you let them.
A good place to start is www.dendroboard.com. Tons and tons of information there.
  • 3 months later...
These cheap eBay bulbs keep shorting out and at $15 a pop that's just too much for me (had to replace all 4 in the last 3 months), so I'm going to take a huge gamble and swap them out for a set of Phillips Hue lights, which are LED lights with wi-fi built in so you can program them for dimming and set whatever spectrum you could desire.

They're $200 for a starter pack of 3 so I'll be $260 in for this setup but this could be absurdly cool if it works.

philips_hue_starter_pack_iphone.jpg

pismo_reefer

The dork in me, wants to see these lights! :D

And, good call on the no kids thing.

Ive easily spent a Racecar, multiple frog setups, an entire collection of R/C's, a ton of tools, etc., on my kid.... And, he's 8.

Cant wait to have to shell out 100k for college. *smh*

Dont get me wrong... Kids are cute... I love mine....

But, when he's been up for 48hrs straight, youve been up for 72 hours straight,

and he's puking everywhere like the girl from the Exorcist.... You'd rather have Frogs and a Racecar.

Gorgeous vivarium, your photography is amazing also. I have a Toyota 86 (Scion FR-S) myself, always love to see tasteful shots of the sister car. Gotta get myself a set of BBS for mine.

The dork in me, wants to see these lights! :D

I've been trying to come up with a cooler way to set them up and these are perfect. I can program them to mimic sunrise and sunsets :D The big thing I need to determine now is the PAR value of the bulbs. They have to be pretty bright to work here.

Archived