2171 replies to this topic

Weetabix7

Weetabix7

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 18,419 posts
  • Joined 15 May 2006
  • Oak Ridge, TN

We don't have any really good comprehensive threads on T5HO lighting on NR, so I thought it was about time one got started.
I've been doing a lot of recent research on T5HO after buying a 24" 4x24w T5HO fixture from HelloLights.com at the incredible price of $100.
http://www.helloligh...A...D=1718&HS=1

One of the really cool things about T5HO is the endless bulb combinations that can be used to produce various lighting effects.
Below are some pics and bulb information from different NR members who are using T5HO.

Masterbuilder
Posted Image
30G Finnex 24x18x16 Tank
Aquactinics TX5 T-5HO Light Fixture
Bulb Configuration:
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+
ATI Procolor
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue+

Sac_State
Posted Image
75g Reef Ready Tank
8 bulb Tek Fixture
Bulb Used (configuration and brand unknown):
4 Actinic
2 75/25
2 Actinic Whites

chickendude10
Posted Image
10g tank
Fishneedit 4x24w fixture
Bulbs Used:
2 ATI Blue+
1 ATI Aquablue
1 UVL Aquasun

SaltyVT
Posted Image
20L Tank
24" Tek T5 HO 4x24 unit
Bulb Configuration:
Actinic Plus
Aquablue
Aquablue
True Actinic

BKtomodachi
Posted Image
15L Tank
Tek 4x24w Fixture
Bulbs Used:
1x GE 6500K daylight
1x Giesemann Pure Actinic
1x UV Actinic White
1x ATI Blue Plus
Comment from BK on above bulb combo-- "For what its worth, I'm replacing the 6500K. The tank is just too yellow for my tastes, but not by much. I just want a bit more blue."

Phixion
Posted Image
30g Finnex Tank, 24w X 18L X 18h
4x24w T5HO fixture w/ moon LEDs built-in
UVL 75/25 14000K AquaBlue
UVL Super Actinic
ATI 12,000K Aquablue Special
ATI Blue+

GobyInPeace
Posted Image
Tank: AGA 40 gallon breeder. Started 12/7/05.
Lighting: 4x39 watt T5s overdriven to 64 watts each. One of each: ATI Blue Plus, ATI Aqua Blue Special, UVL Superactinic, GE 6500K Daylight.

Wawawang
Posted Image
40b Tank
Aquactinics 36 inch tx5 T5HO fixture
Bulb Combo, front to back:
ATI Blue Special
ATI Actinic Blue
Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Special
ATI Blue Plus

fishez4alivin
Posted Image
60g Tank, 36x24x16x 3/4" Cell Cast Acrylic
ATI Powermodule 6x39W Fixture
Front
ATI Blue +
UV Super Actinics
ATI Blue+
UV Aquasun
ATI Blue+
ATI Aquablue special
This is exactly how the tank and corals look under that bulb combo

cpreefguy
Posted Image
6x24w ATI Powermodule Fixture
ATI Blue Plus
KZ New Generation 14K
UV Actinic
KZ Fiji Purple
UV Actinic
KZ New Generation 14K

here is one with 4 bulbs.Its hard to show in my pics but this is close to true color as i can get.It works very well and not pink at all in person.Ill get one of the 6 bulb later.Its just a tiny bit more white and very bright

Posted Image

2 ATI Blue+
1 KZ Fiji Purple
1 GE6500

Some excellent information on T5HO including different bulb combos and PAR values can be found here:
http://tfivetesting.googlepages.com/

I will continue to add FTS w/bulb combos as I find them.
In the interests of keeping this in a more useable format, if you have a tank with a T5HO fixture, please PM me your FTS and bulb combo to add to this post, instead of posting it yourself.
That way I can hopefully just keep all the pics together here instead of having them in different places all over the thread.
I will be continuing to post much more info that I have gleaned from various places and people over the next couple of days.

Edited by Weetabix7, 26 March 2010 - 06:01 PM.

SaltyVT

SaltyVT

I'm Hungry

• Members
  • 864 posts
  • Joined 19 Sep 2006
  • New Hampshire
This is a great Idea, It was always a pain to try and search through threads to find which bulbs looked best. BTW I used Geismann bulbs, next time I am going to try ATI.

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,238 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana
Great thread, Weets! I have T5HO on two of my tanks. :)

20L

KCP - Canon 550D - Canon 28-135mm - Canon 100mm macro - Canon 50mm - Sigma 10-20mm - Flickr

Oh and everybody is a dick here except Lani. She is an evil genius which is different.

DON'T TALK ABOUT LALANI LIKE THAT!  :angry:

lakshwadeep

lakshwadeep

v rotating snakes! v

• Premium Members
  • 21,370 posts
  • Joined 28 Mar 2003
  • Salt Lake City (formerly OKC)
edit: Okay, I'm still collecting my info, but I'll be editing this post later on. Feel free to correct any mistakes I've made or help clarify some statements. I've temporarily removed references to most fixture/ballast brands due to there being many changes in quality.

What is a T5?

The bulbs we are talking about are "T5HO fluorescents" (aka T5-HO), but I will use the term "T5" from now on.

First, a T5 is a fluorescent bulb, which means it uses electricity to "excite mercury vapor" (yes mercury) to emit ultraviolet light. This ultraviolet light then hits phosphors (which are the whitish coating on the inside surface of the tube), which are excited to emit visible light. This reemission of light at a different energy (UV light is higher energy than visible light) is called fluorescence, which is where these lights get their name from. This is a cool video on how commercial fluorescents are made (T5s in the hobby are straight tubes, not U-curved like those in the video).

WARNING: Some companies choose to label PCs (Power Compact Fluorescents) as T5s or "T5 PC", but they are a different type of bulb than what I'm talking about because they have twin tubes on one bulb instead of a single tube like the T5s of this thread. However, I have observed my own Current and Coralife PC bulbs are actually 6/8" in diameter, so a proper term could be T6. Some other manufacturers will call PC fixtures "T6". In any case, PC bulbs look like this, and T5s look like this.

The designation of a fluorescent tube comes from a code of F##T##, where F signifies fluorescent, the first number for the wattage, T for tubular bulb shape, and the last number for the diameter (measured in eighths of an inch). So, a F24T12 is a 24W tubular fluorescent bulb with a 12/8" diameter. T5s are therefore 5/8" in diameter. Most of the vendors in our hobby don't write the "F" and just state the wattage outright (i.e. a "39W T5HO fluorescent").

The "HO" signifies "high-output" lamps which are brighter (and use more watts) than normal output (NO) bulbs of the same length, and they need to have suitable ballasts to work properly. Likewise, VHO stands for very-high-output, and it is currently used to designate "overdriven" (higher output than what is listed) bulbs on ballasts like the Icecap 430/660.

Things to think about when buying a T5 fixture (roughly in order of importance): reflectors, bulbs (these are easy to change), and ballasts.

Ballasts: Most of the ones offered seem to be okay, and they don't make a huge difference. If you decide to get a ballast separately, remember that the specific wattages of T5HO bulbs should be listed on the ballast's label to ensure safe usage. The Icecap 660/460 ballasts are used on "T5-VHO" fixtures because they overdrives the bulbs to around twice the listed wattage. This is great for limited spaces, but the bulbs need to have cooling fans and may age faster. More recently, there have been bulbs that are specifically designed as T5VHO with specialized ballasts, like those on the TEK "light ultra elite" fixtures.

Bulbs: ATI, UVL, Giesemann, Korallen-Zucht and some other manufacturers have a wide variety of bulbs that put out great PAR (photosynthetically active radiation). One con with Current USA and other less expensive fixures is that their stock bulbs are usually limited in color selection (usually the standard "10000K" and "actinic"). The "10000K" was for growth while the "actinic" was for color. The problem that is some higher-end bulbs, like the ATI aquablue special, have good PAR ratings for growth while also enough blue spectrum to avoid getting any pure actinics. Bulbs usually have peaks in output at different wavelengths (corresponding to colors in the visible spectrum), and so it's useful to see a spectrum chart of a bulb. So, switching your bulbs is a hidden cost that you must consider when calculating where you shop.

Reflectors: These are what everyone keeps harping on when comparing T5s to MH. A T5 is similar to a standard PC in wattage, but it's advantage is having a single tube that can get more light in the tank with a proper reflector. You can think of it in another way: you pay for the energy to light the lamp, and the next step is to effectively get all that light down into the tank.

The less expensive T5 fixtures often have just a flat reflector with bulbs are packed like sardines (similar to a PC fixture). The next step up is fixtures with an "individually contoured reflector" which is one piece of metal folded between each bulb. Finally, there are "individual (parabolic) reflectors" that act like a flashlight to reflect the most light, even from the back of the bulb.

Here is a good link on T5 spectrum charts to know just what colors are actually produced by bulbs that may be similar to the naked eye.
http://www.practical...5spectrums.html

Edited by lakshwadeep, 05 September 2010 - 10:36 AM.

↳Malcolm

Newer! ADA 60-F

New ADA 60-P - Gobyopolis
my 20H  retired

Every lie tells another truth.
-John Burns

got2envy

got2envy

Ridin' Dirty

• Members
  • 9,484 posts
  • Joined 11 May 2007
  • **West Palm Beach, FL** Relocated to Dallas, TX
Hey Weetie great idea..I like bluer tanks :)
My 75g has a 36" Nova extreme
2x 460 nm
1x 420 nm
1x 10000k
and 4 x 54watt T-5 on individual reflectors
2x aquablue
1x 10000k
1x true actinic 03
Posted Image

My 40 long has a 48" Nova extreme fixture
2x 10000k
1x aquablue
1x 460nm
Posted Image

and the contest tank 2x 20 watt 18" nova extreme fixture and also runs 460 nm LED's
1x 10000k
1x 460 nm
Posted Image

I can't wait to see how other tanks look as I would like to change my bulbs later on and with the new 24" fixture

Maria

Travis

Travis

LARC Member

• Members
  • 7,078 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2004
  • SW Louisiana
My 15g Nano
Posted Image
CurrentUSA Sundial 4x24w
2 x 24W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent by ATI
1 x 24W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent by UV Lighting
1 x 24W Fiji Purple T5 HO Fluorescent by Korallen Zucht

hcsceo

hcsceo

Don't Hate Me Cause I'm Beautiful

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • Joined 16 Feb 2008
  • Austin, Tx
Thanks Weetie good idea on the thread.

Steve

got2envy

got2envy

Ridin' Dirty

• Members
  • 9,484 posts
  • Joined 11 May 2007
  • **West Palm Beach, FL** Relocated to Dallas, TX
Wow trav! that is a nice blue! that is what i am aiming for :D

Travis

Travis

LARC Member

• Members
  • 7,078 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2004
  • SW Louisiana
Yeah, the stock bulbs with the Sundial are not nearly as blue. A friend of mine suggested that combo for a bluer look at it worked. My acro responded well, went from olive green to lime green with baby blue growth tips :D

ddelallata

ddelallata

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Joined 15 Jun 2008
  • Brownsville, Tx
Love that color Travis. I might have to add those four bulbs to the Current Outer Orbit that is on my RSM. I already have a 150W 14000K Phoenix in there with supplemental actinics, but nowhere near as nice looking as yours. thanks for posting.
Dr. David de la Llata
RSM 150W HQI
Sexy Pico
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Weetabix7

Weetabix7

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 18,419 posts
  • Joined 15 May 2006
  • Oak Ridge, TN

Yeah, the stock bulbs with the Sundial are not nearly as blue. A friend of mine suggested that combo for a bluer look at it worked. My acro responded well, went from olive green to lime green with baby blue growth tips :D

Do your colors really look that blue in real life, or does your camera make it look a little bluer?

Travis

Travis

LARC Member

• Members
  • 7,078 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2004
  • SW Louisiana
it looks that blue, but is brighter looking.

masterbuilder

masterbuilder

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 4,067 posts
  • Joined 12 Jan 2006
  • Beaufort, SC
My tank now
KZ Coral Light II
ATI Blue+
UVL Aquasun
Fiji Purple
ATI Blue+
Posted Image

Edited by masterbuilder, 13 December 2008 - 07:47 PM.

masterbuilder

masterbuilder

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 4,067 posts
  • Joined 12 Jan 2006
  • Beaufort, SC
For comparison:
All pics taken on manual setting with exact same settings. Straight form the camera, no processing in photoshop. Not exactly how it looks in person, but gives a good look at different combos.
Please ignore my tank...its under going a rescape and the corals are pissed because I keep turning off the lights to change lamps.

ATI Aquablue -- 336
ATI Blue+ -- 311
KZ Fiji Purple-- 330
ATI Blue+ -- 311
PAR avgs. out to-- 322
Posted Image

ATI Aquablue -- 336 (This would look similar to the Current-USA 18" fixture w/just white and blue lamps)
ATI Blue+ -- 311
ATI Aquablue --336
ATI Blue+ -- 311
PAR avgs. out to-- 323.5
Posted Image

ATI Aquablue -- 336
ATI Blue+ -- 311
UVL Aquasun -- 345
ATI Blue+ -- 311
PAR avgs. out to-- 325.75
Posted Image

ATI Blue+ -- 311
UVL Actinic (Super Actinic?) -- 210
UVL Aquasun -- 345
ATI Blue+ -- 311
PAR (w/Super Actinic) avgs. out to-- 294.25
Posted Image

In Honor of Travis's beautiful tank
ATI Blue+ -- 311
UVL Actinic (Super Actinic?) -- 210
KZ Fiji Purple -- 330
ATI Blue+ -- 311
PAR (w/Super Actinic) avgs. out to-- 290.5
Posted Image

Any other combos your interested in ...let me know...I have other lamps and might be able to get a sample pic.

Edited by Weetabix7, 14 December 2008 - 04:57 PM.

Weetabix7

Weetabix7

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 18,419 posts
  • Joined 15 May 2006
  • Oak Ridge, TN
Masterbuilder, what prompted you to change?

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,238 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana
Posted Image
Finnex 4x24w w/standard bulbs:
2 - Shin Mao 24w AB Actinics
2 - Shin Mao 24w 10K

Posted Image
Current Sundial 4x24w w/standard bulbs:
2 - Current 24w 460nm Actinics
2 - Current 24w 10K

I plan on messing with the 20H's lighting tonight.. by taking out one of the 10Ks and replacing it with a Sunpaq 460nm, just to see how it will look. I'll post a pic of that too!

20L

KCP - Canon 550D - Canon 28-135mm - Canon 100mm macro - Canon 50mm - Sigma 10-20mm - Flickr

Oh and everybody is a dick here except Lani. She is an evil genius which is different.

DON'T TALK ABOUT LALANI LIKE THAT!  :angry:

121a

121a

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,732 posts
  • Joined 30 Aug 2006
  • Chicago,IL
http://www.nano-reef...?...=140511&hl=
B)

Main Tank: 150g Reef

Getting it back on track

http://www.nano-reef...grr-pics/page-2

121a's BridgeLux LED Powered RKL Controlled Aqueon 4gal- DISMANTLED
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=302636

My T-5 Thread (good stuff)
http://www.nano-reef...?...=140511&hl=

Travis

Travis

LARC Member

• Members
  • 7,078 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2004
  • SW Louisiana

In Honor of Travis's beautiful tank
ATI Blue+
UVL Actinic
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue+
Posted Image

Hey, thanks B)

jmigchelbrink

jmigchelbrink

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2008
  • Fort Collins, Co
Does anyone have any info on the different PAR numbers of the different bulbs? I clicked on that link weetie posted but it didn't have any numbers.

masterbuilder

masterbuilder

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 4,067 posts
  • Joined 12 Jan 2006
  • Beaufort, SC
Here are a few:

Tek fixture and 54 Watt bulbs.

Aquascience
Special 15K 320
DUO 15K 334
22000K Blue 304

AquaZ
Sun Pro 285
Ocean Pro 323
Blue Pro 266

ATI
Sun Pro 357 (no longer available)
Aquablue 336
Blue Plus 311
Actinic 137
Pro Color 215

Current Sun Paq
Daylight 10K 272
Blue 252

D&D/Giesemann
Midday 325
Aquablue 324
Actinic Plus 264
Pure Actinic 157

General Electric
GE Daylight 340
GE3000 319

Helios
Daylight 309
Super Blue 225

KZ
Coral Light (10k) 342
Fiji Purple 330

UVL
Aqua sun 345
Actinic White 293
Super Actinic 210
75/25 254

See why I dont care for actinics lamps when a ATI blue+ will give your corals the same pop/glow.

Mark

Edited by masterbuilder, 14 December 2008 - 02:26 PM.

nessbuilder

nessbuilder

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • Joined 11 Jun 2007
  • Oakland CA
Posted Image
Nova Extreme Pro 48"
ATI Blue + x3
ATI Aquablue x2
UVL Aquasun x1

gator2683

gator2683

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 22 Jul 2007
  • Anchorage, AK
Useless comment, but great thread guys.

Masterbuilder: those side-by-side bulb combos and pictures were great. It's perfect for deciding which bulbs to order. You might want to merge your photo post with your numbers post into a single post with a total par for all 4 bulbs so you can see the photo and total par for each bulb combo.

Weetabix7

Weetabix7

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 18,419 posts
  • Joined 15 May 2006
  • Oak Ridge, TN

Useless comment, but great thread guys.

Masterbuilder: those side-by-side bulb combos and pictures were great. It's perfect for deciding which bulbs to order. You might want to merge your photo post with your numbers post into a single post with a total par for all 4 bulbs so you can see the photo and total par for each bulb combo.

I'll see if I can go do that myself in a bit here, thanks for the suggestion.

Jenna

Jenna

Mermaid wannabe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Joined 30 Nov 2008
  • Port Richey, FL
This thread is excellent timing! I was just contemplating which bulbs to get to go with my fixture when I buy it. Keep up the photos! This is VERY helpful!

Weetabix7

Weetabix7

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 18,419 posts
  • Joined 15 May 2006
  • Oak Ridge, TN
Wawawang has contributed the following pic of his tank with just a KZ Fiji Purple bulb over it:

Posted Image

He gave the following commentary on the bulb:
"That is close to real life as far as the color. I used the same camera and settings for this pic for my latest fts. It is a pinkish purple color and its very bright. The colors it effects the most is red, orange, pink as far as pop. My orange digi and my sunset changed to a orangey pink color when i went to this light setup."

According to Masterbuilder's earlier post, the KZ Fiji Purple bulb has a PAR of 330.