Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BioCube and Aquapod Products from inTank

StevieT

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vertical walls? No. I do know some cut the area that spills over into chamber two in the 14 and 8 for more flow. I may have to design something around that.

But for these to work in the Biocube tanks, all you need to do is remove the false floor in chamber two. Then it will just pop right in.

The vertical walls? No. I do know some cut the area that spills over into chamber two in the 14 and 8 for more flow. I may have to design something around that.

But for these to work in the Biocube tanks, all you need to do is remove the false floor in chamber two. Then it will just pop right in.

OK.. great. I've read where some do as you are saying... cut away some of the vertical wall to create more flow. Is that done with an exacto knife? How much to cut away? Can you direct me to that thread? Thank you for all you are doing!

I've cut the top of the wall between the first and second chambers in my BC8... I just used a razor blade and went slow and just made it level across, like this:

---------------------- | FRONT <---

---------------------- |

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|________________________________ BACK --->

Just cut across the dotted lines, all the way to the front, and then cut down at the front...

jaz3three, I'm also interested in doing something that might remove the wall between the second and third chamber... on the BC 8, the third chamber space is wasted, and I think you could do a lot more with the space if you just removed that wall... not sure if you would need to brace it or not though, and I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, but it would make for a decent sized 'fuge at least...

OK.. great. I've read where some do as you are saying... cut away some of the vertical wall to create more flow. Is that done with an exacto knife? How much to cut away? Can you direct me to that thread? Thank you for all you are doing!

I don't actually have one set up. I have all BC tanks in my shop to design media racks, and I don't have a thread for you. This is all info I have gathered from talking to other members and from watching flow in the tanks that I have set up.

from what I have seen it looks like this:

BC14Jim.jpg

I've cut the top of the wall between the first and second chambers in my BC8... I just used a razor blade and went slow and just made it level across, like this:

---------------------- | FRONT <---

---------------------- |

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|________________________________ BACK --->

Just cut across the dotted lines, all the way to the front, and then cut down at the front...

jaz3three, I'm also interested in doing something that might remove the wall between the second and third chamber... on the BC 8, the third chamber space is wasted, and I think you could do a lot more with the space if you just removed that wall... not sure if you would need to brace it or not though, and I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, but it would make for a decent sized 'fuge at least...

So the cut will even out the lip where the water overflows. I get it. Honestly I'm surprised that it would alter the flow significantly, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

As far as the walls betweens chambers goes... I'm afraid if I change the walls than the water level in the 1st (intake) chamber will drop too low for my heater. What do you think? I have 3 chambers in the 14 and the 29 has 4, right? Does the 8 have 3 as well?

We're hijacking Steve's thread though.. we should take this to the All In One Forum?

As far as I know, they all have 3 chambers... and the cut only allows you to put more flow through. If you keep the stock pump, the flow will remain the same. The reason you make the cut is to allow for more flow if you upgrade the pump...

/End Hijack ;)

As far as I know, they all have 3 chambers... and the cut only allows you to put more flow through. If you keep the stock pump, the flow will remain the same. The reason you make the cut is to allow for more flow if you upgrade the pump...

/End Hijack ;)

That totally makes sense.. (the upgraded pump vs. stock pump). I'm actually planning on buying an MJ900.

now end hijack? :P

Steve--thank you for taking the time to post that pic!!

no prob on the questions. I have all three tanks here and they are all designed the same way with only size being the difference. The 29 has 3 chambers, same as the 14 and 8, they all look the same. The only difference is that the flow is reduced in the 14 and 8. The flow in the 29 is much higher and you do not need to do any cutting.

I need to think up a way to design the rack around the possiblility that owerns may cut the 14 and 8 as in that picture. That may be that I require that "mod" to be done. Or provide optional pieces to overcome the fact that people may not do that cutting.

Thinking on that one....

I do not recommend removing any walls for the simple fact that you will be changing the water level in chamber one, the best chamber for a heater. You will also be removing structural support for your false wall. A media rack will improve filtration greatly, the pump will pull water through the rack.

I am actually impressed they would design the tank with such low flow in the 14 and 8. Removing just the small area for spill over greatly increases flow.

Ok, so now I know the BioCube inside and out, crazy :D

I am very interested in one of your media racks for my BC29. I will follow this thread for more information!

Can you explain a little bit more about how you will be integrating a fuge into the media rack for Chamber 2?

Thanks so much!

I am very interested in one of your media racks for my BC29. I will follow this thread for more information!

Can you explain a little bit more about how you will be integrating a fuge into the media rack for Chamber 2?

Thanks so much!

Great, I should have the racks ready in a few days for those that don't want to wait for a final release date.

Right now, the rack will be one piece and the fuge will be another in the BC29. Since there is a lot of room, I can go with two racks so that you can manage one or the other. The fuge will more or less just provide an area to rest chaeto on, like a basket with flow. It will keep it off the bottom and protected from getting caught up in the flow of the pump.

It will also be much less in cost than the rack since it is much easier to build.... still working on prototypes for that, haven't build one yet.

let me guess...

Aquapod 24, Biocube 29, BC14, and BC8? You gonna set all those up or sell them once you're done?

correct. No, I will sell them, I have no need for all of those tanks, one is enough for me!

Hey Stevie, just tagging here to see what develops. You never know with these things and I am always looking for the "better" mousetrap.......

Hey stevie, i have one more question...

Will the flow to the third chamber increase,decrease or stay the same with the rack? Im asking if the level of the water should stay the same before and after the rack.

Thanks

I will be testing this again tonight once I put water back into the tank.

From my earlier tests, it was nothing too noticeable if you add water into the second chamber to bring the water level up.

Where does your water line sit currently in chamber 3? The water level with my rack in chamber two was about 3" bellow the top, enough to keep the second shelve in the rack submerged.

My chamber 3 water level is right were the flexible tubing meets the l-shape piece. Like that it stays really high and i can tell how much to top off every day.

From my first tests it was around that area as well.

I am going to be testing with a full bag of chemi pure tonight to see if that changes anything.

From my first tests it was around that area as well.

I am going to be testing with a full bag of chemi pure tonight to see if that changes anything.

I run a full bag of chemi pure so this test will help me determine how high the water should when I buy your media rack.

Hey stevie, i have one more question...

Will the flow to the third chamber increase,decrease or stay the same with the rack? Im asking if the level of the water should stay the same before and after the rack.

Thanks

I would think regardless of what you put in the media rack, the levels in both 2 and 3 should stay the same as they are connected at the bottom. Water always seeks it's own level.

The only think I can think of that would change that is if whatever media you put in the rack became clogged and wouldn't allow water to pass.

The water going from the display into chamber 1 and the flowing over the lip to chamber 2 will be determined by the GPH of your pump. The higher the flow rate, the more water will be pumped into chamber 1 flow into chamber 2 and then into the return chamber number 3. At this point it's just a basic cycle. Water in, water out.

Archived