SaltCritters.com

BIG 20 It's dog eat dog.

chrssprngs

chrssprngs

Our 20 long brought back from the dead. This tank is a little over a year old. Started out with Corallife PCs and a cheap HOB power filter. Lost some zoanthids during the nudribranch war during the summer of 2011. Lost 2 acan colonies and several polyp heads of a branching hammer from failed RO system ( check you TDS on your RO system! They don't last forever, especially if you take it off line for any length of time.). I have since upgraded the lighting system to Current 4 bulb T5 fixture and CPR Aeroforce skimmer. I run one power head in the back behind the rock and one at the top front corner of each side. The tank has come along ways though still dealing with some of the fall out of the poor water quality problems I had. Fighting calerpa (feather) on severaly fronts and hair algae at few isolated locations.

I have a mix of corals and inverts. A mix of softies, LPS and SPS (montipora caps')

FTS 8/30/2012

BD88D00C-7E1A-4646-9EE6-9CB7034AAE9C-824

09d6a91a.jpg

958b0f51.jpg

d96cfb57.jpg

69b6e404.jpg
I
a9989237.jpg

9bb9b0d0.jpg

cec24dc7.jpg

603ddbf0.jpg

616a745b.jpg

63cc8dc1.jpg

2ffb6abe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chrssprngs

ff49ae80.jpg

188ba795.jpg

2bfadb85.jpg

a8f693cf.jpg

ca0b0f94.jpg

FMAS frag swap acquisitions. Lined up nicely in front of my display hair algae.

4bef7bb5.jpg

fbd6e45f.jpg

What kind of neme is that?

Sebae

• Like 1
chrssprngs

Thanks. Blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. The fromia was put in there a couple of months ago.

The chalice started out as frag on a square frag disc. (oxymoron?). The monti was a small frag that had just started to scroll at the edges. Both of them lived through some nightmares that other colonies did not survive. You can see what is left of the branching hammer in the center and a couple of the skeletons of the two acan colonies I lost.

first photo makes a 20 gallon look like a 100 gallon

+1. My first thought was that this tank looks way bigger than it really is.

• Like 1
chrssprngs
+1. My first thought was that this tank looks way bigger than it really is.

Its amazing what you can fit into a little box.

This is what I squeezed into a BC14

IMG_0759.jpg

If you look center left, you can see the monti cap that I moved into the 20 long.

• Like 1

That's beautiful! What do you have stocked in there?

And to second everyone else, that chalice is amazing!

chrssprngs

Thank you

Corals:

Assorted zoanthids and palys (12 varieties)

Trumpet coral

Chalice

Blastos (2 varieties)

Unknown montipora

Favia

4 acan lords

Acan r.

Branching hammer

Dendros

Clove polyps

Scoly

GSP (I have it isolated on an old power head)

3 montipora cap.

As yet unidentified lps on the rock with

the clove polyps

Duncans

2 varieties of leather coral

Sympodia sp?

Invertebrates

Sebae anemone

Porcelain crab

Banded brittle star

Lots of snails (cerith, nasarious, turbos, margaritas)

Blue leg hermits

Fromia star

Fish:

Orange spotted goby

Clarki clown

Citron goby (maybe, haven't seen him in a while)

• Like 1

What kind of chalice is that? It's nice to actually see somebody that grew it out. 9 times out of 10, it seems like everyone spends hundreds of dollars on a frag and resells them again before they grow at all.

chrssprngs
What kind of chalice is that? It's nice to actually see somebody that grew it out. 9 times out of 10, it seems like everyone spends hundreds of dollars on a frag and resells them again before they grow at all.

I know, right?

I don't keep up with the names. I bought it as a 1"X1" square frag at LFS for $20. I think it's some variety of watermelon.

I know, right?

I don't keep up with the names. I bought it as a 1"X1" square frag at LFS for $20. I think it's some variety of watermelon.

Very nice. Good deal too.

chrssprngs

Seems like 90% of the tanks are display tank/ frag factories. I understand that this hobby is not cheap and people try to augment the cost by fragging. It would be nice to actually see some of these "high end $800+ chalice chips" natural growth.

For a 1"x1" 800 dollar frag, I don't think they should be worried about what they're spending if they are making a purchase like that anyway. Haha. I was thinking of some fragging since my zoa rock is now completely filled up, but it's NOW COMPLETELY filled up. I don't want to ruin it after all this time.

This is definitely the hobby of the "middle man".

Seems like 90% of the tanks are display tank/ frag factories. I understand that this hobby is not cheap and people try to augment the cost by fragging. It would be nice to actually see some of these "high end $800+ chalice chips" natural growth.

Speaking of chalices that is the first FTS that I have seen with a full chalice. Good job!

Looks awesome.

Only thing I would change is getting those big ugly circulation pumps out of there and getting a single MP10... or two of them lol...

chrssprngs
Looks awesome.

Only thing I would change is getting those big ugly circulation pumps out of there and getting a single MP10... or two of them lol...

No argument there. I have been drooling over the MP10s for a long while. It would definitely be a vast improvement. The tank runs between 80 to 81.5 which is on the high side of OK. I'm in the middle of a LED build and just bought new everything for the RO/DI unit along with a refractor ether and Ph monitor so my reef money is kinda low right now.

chrssprngs

The LEDs are either going on the BC14 or a new rimless cube. Leaning towards new tank and making the BC a quarantine tank. Any suggestions?

My LFS has some display tanks where they let stuff grow out for themselves. Some of the chalices start out very vibrant and beautiful but as they grow they dull down. This could also be a factor of the tanks chemistry and not the coral itself. They are interesting but I have to say that the macro shots people post of their frags always make me fall out of my shoes, but IRL they don't often make me go wow. Except Jason Fox....

The LEDs are either going on the BC14 or a new rimless cube. Leaning towards new tank and making the BC a quarantine tank. Any suggestions?

the BC is really a display tank. You could sell it and get some decent money towards new equipment or corals, and use a plane old rectangle for a QT. just my $0.02

chrssprngs
My LFS has some display tanks where they let stuff grow out for themselves. Some of the chalices start out very vibrant and beautiful but as they grow they dull down. This could also be a factor of the tanks chemistry and not the coral itself. They are interesting but I have to say that the macro shots people post of their frags always make me fall out of my shoes, but IRL they don't often make me go wow. Except Jason Fox....

the BC is really a display tank. You could sell it and get some decent money towards new equipment or corals, and use a plane old rectangle for a QT. just my $0.02

An excellent idea! Especially considering that I have upgraded/modded. Would be a waste. It's got the Stevie T basket, upgraded return and nanocustoms light kit.

I agree with you on the chalices dulling out.

Received my replacement filters for my DI/RO system. HooRay!

Next delivery will be my pH monitor and refractometer. Not trusting my coral life temp monitor. Looked at yesterday and it said the temp was 84.9. WTF!

Put it in the other tank got nothing. Unplugged my heater. Still 84.9. Turned it off and turned it back on a few times and it was reading 75 on the ambient air in the house. OK that's about right. Put it back in the tank and its reading 79.2. Hmmm...

Got to thinking. (always dangerous) My 20L with no canopy has consistently ran between 80.5 to 81.6. We keep the thermostat on the AC at 72 at night and 76 during the day. So that makes since. After the inconsistencies with the temp monitor, I left the heater unplugged. Tank is running 76.5 to 77.9. Do you guys think that is on the cool side? The pH monitor has a temp function with +/- 0.2 degrees so I will feel better knowing that I am dealing with more precise data.

So for people dealing with higher temps in the tank, double check your heater setting. You never know. Sometimes we try to make things more complicated than they actually are. FWIW.

Archived